Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Smileys etc

(49 Posts)
Artyfarty Sat 11-Nov-17 17:30:08

I want to post a message with smileys or strikethrough but when I preview it does not seem to have converted automatically in my post. Do the smileys not show until you actually post the message?

NanaMacGeek Mon 13-Nov-17 12:31:30

Thank you JackyB, I didn'know about en dashes and em dashes.
This is rather an esoteric article: glog.glennf.com/blog/2017/7/6/dash-dash-it-all
I see in this article that, if you long-press on the dash symbol on an iPad keyboard, a menu pops up. If you select the short dash twice, you get two short dashes. Well, there’s a thing!

JackyB Mon 13-Nov-17 11:58:34

Looks like Apple thinks that 2 "n"-dashes are meant to be an "m"-dash. Those know-it-alls wink

grannyqueenie Sun 12-Nov-17 23:10:50

whoopee I’m so easily pleased! smile

cornergran Sun 12-Nov-17 23:03:32

Indeed it does. Who would have thought it? Now all I have to do is remember grin.

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 22:58:44

I found that, if I type a single dash then put a second one before it, well it works!

Oh yes, so it does! How clever of you to discover that. And how stupid of Apple to be so contrary wink

ninathenana Sun 12-Nov-17 18:06:41

smile

Not a problem, was said in jest.

NanaMacGeek Sun 12-Nov-17 17:38:53

Just typed this on my iPad. But as others have posted, it's not straightforward! I found that, if I type a single dash then put a second one before it, well it works! Does anyone really care - only Apple nerds like me? sad

Artyfarty Sun 12-Nov-17 16:19:47

Thank you too ninathenana.

cornergran Sun 12-Nov-17 14:40:03

strikeout looks as if I’ve done it. smile.

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 14:30:57

That's what I said

Sorry ninathenana, we cross posted sad

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 14:27:28

So pleased you've all got it sorted now!

Maggiemaybe If I only had a brain I could be dangerous gringrin

ninathenana Sun 12-Nov-17 14:27:25

That's what I said sad

smilesmile

cornergran Sun 12-Nov-17 13:50:18

Me too maggie. Thank you for your patience Bathsheba.

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Nov-17 13:35:08

Thank you, Bathsheba! In my head the italic I stood for italics only. If I only had a brain I could be dangerous. blush

Artyfarty Sun 12-Nov-17 13:28:38

Right so I have clicked at the bottom and I am now on the mobile site. trying again OMG, OMG it’s worked! wipes sweat from brow Thank you Bathsheba, how do you know all this stuff!

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 12:50:03

Whether you're on an iPad or an iPhone, if you scroll right down to the bottom of the page you'll see, in small print, the words 'Mobile Site'. (If you're already on the mobile site, it'll say 'Desktop Site'.) Just tap the link and you'll be redirected to the mobile site. You should then see the short cuts I've shown in my picture.

ninathenana Sun 12-Nov-17 12:49:39

Artyfarty If you scroll right to the bottom of the page it will say Mobile site in blue, click that and it will change from the desktop you posted pic of.
I'm using my android phone but I can use either site. I find the mobile site easier.

Artyfarty Sun 12-Nov-17 12:39:09

Sorry Bathsheba I don’t understand the question! I’m using an iPad, not an iPhone, is that what you mean?

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 12:18:44

Artyfarty are you using the desktop site or the mobile site? You get these shortcuts on the mobile site.

Artyfarty Sun 12-Nov-17 12:13:41

Same with me, no three circles. Mine looks different.

cornergran Sun 12-Nov-17 12:03:33

Ahh I understand now. It’s not appearing on my iPad. It used to. Apple strikes again I think with that upgrade. I have been reading that it has caused all sorts of issues but inconsistently, so some are impacted and others not. I imagine I can still do it on the big machine and will have a look at the phone. Frustrating but there are worse things. Apple will fix the bugs one day I guess. Thank you again.

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 11:51:35

Actually, it doesn't say strikethrough, it says delete.

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 11:49:50

Sorry, preview, preview, preview! It should read "and then tap on the strikethrough"

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 11:48:45

Can you see the 3 circles, one with a smiley, one with a capital I and one with a paper clip? Tap on the middle one and then two on th strikethrough style. It will appear in your text with th cursor in the middle, all ready for you to type

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 11:40:24

Hang on, I'm on my desktop at the mo. I'll get my iPhone and take a pic and post it....