Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Username changes

(75 Posts)
TomGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 21-Feb-18 12:32:22

Hi all,

As you will have noticed, we have changed the way that local works, and as part of this local usernames will be disappearing shortly.

But...coming very soon there will be the chance for you to add an additional username that you can use to post on sensitive threads or anywhere else that you would prefer not to use your regular username. This will be launched shortly so watch out for more details on how it all works.

Jalima1108 Mon 26-Feb-18 09:28:38

Go on, GN, why not treat us like adults?
I can't see why not either, perhaps MN has more members, more pressure? hmm

schnackie Sun 04-Mar-18 18:25:03

I wish there was a like button. Yes, I can post 'I agree' but it might be three pages later and I have to scroll back or find a pencil to write down the poster's name so people know what I agree to.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 06-Mar-18 12:41:10

LaraGransnet

We did a poll some time ago and most users wanted the ability to change their usernames for anonymity. While we don't want to open the site to sock puppeting, we thought this was the best compromise - limiting the number of username changes. We'd hope that most people will still use a 'main username' and the second one is only meant to be used as a back-up for those times when you want to post anonymously. We'll keep an eye and if anyone is abusing this, we'll take steps.

Won't go over the whole conversation again, but as Lara has said, the second name is there solely to offer anonymity if posting on something particularly sensitive or where you would prefer your Gransnet friends not to know it's you.

It's now live and we hope will be used in the way we have outlined and will be helpful to those who need it for certain posts

yggdrasil Tue 06-Mar-18 13:09:01

or even a 'quote button?

eazybee Tue 06-Mar-18 16:11:17

What on earth is sock puppeting?

MissAdventure Tue 06-Mar-18 16:14:52

Its where someone would use two identities to cause trouble, I think. Or to agree with themselves in an argument or something.

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Mar-18 16:23:11

varian I'm thinking of changing my name to "sockpuppet". Do you think I'd still be recognised?

I want to be Sooty, Sweep and Soo
I've started knitting the socks (none of DH's old cast-offs for me smile)

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Mar-18 16:25:29

Sooty just whispered in my ear!
He said, Jalima that's a great idea, you're really clever and a good knitter too smile

Anniebach Tue 06-Mar-18 16:29:52

If I tried a different name I would no doubt post on the thread with my own name in reply

suetempleman2 Wed 23-May-18 11:53:11

When I joined I put my own name as my user name. I would now like to change to an anonymous name but can't seem to get the correct method. I have emailed direct about this a couple of times but without any response. Does anybody have any tips on how I can change my username please?

Squiffy Wed 23-May-18 11:57:12

Sue You could try clicking on the Report option (just above your post) and see if that gets a response.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 24-May-18 12:36:50

Hi suetempleman2 - please do get in touch with us at [email protected] and we'll change it for you this afternoon!

hildajenniJ Mon 09-Jul-18 13:13:55

I have long been thinking about changing my username. I think that now is the time. My FB account was hacked a while ago. It took me ages to delete my account. As Gransnet posts are often found on FB, and lots of people will remember me there, I think I will change my username. I'll still be here, honest.

Cherrytree59 Mon 09-Jul-18 13:26:05

Adios Hidaj
Wishing you a seamless transitionsmile

Jalima1108 Mon 09-Jul-18 14:26:59

au revoir hildajenniJ
smile

This will be launched shortly
I'm just wondering what the interpretation of shortly should be grin - is it like the Plymothian 'in a minute'?
(ie next year)

MiniMoon Mon 09-Jul-18 16:29:35

Hello, it's me again. Just in case anyone was wondering.

kittylester Mon 09-Jul-18 16:34:38

Did it hurt?

seacliff Mon 09-Jul-18 16:35:18

Ha ha…. like it...welcome back. That was very quick! smile

seacliff Mon 09-Jul-18 16:37:51

I struggle to remember anyone's names in RL, yet alone their current and past names on GN. You lot must have amazing memories (or a list?)

BlueBelle Mon 09-Jul-18 16:50:23

Seacliff I m with you I can barely remember my own name and if I changed it I d probably answer myself as I wouldn’t remember who I was

Cherrytree59 Mon 09-Jul-18 17:11:35

Hello and welcome MiniMoon.
Great name.smile

Jalima1108 Mon 09-Jul-18 20:01:27

I'll try to remember smile

Nannore Fri 05-Jul-19 10:52:40

Could you advise me how to add a username for sensitive posts please?

Buffybee Sat 06-Jul-19 11:19:41