Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Anybody else received this private message?

(90 Posts)
M0nica Wed 26-Sep-18 17:36:46

Just received a notification of a private message from a name I did not recognise. When I opened It this was the text.

Hello there, I love your comments about making friends and IMO....
On the other hand, I will love to get to know you better and be friends, if that's okay by you I will be thrilled. A little about me; I'm a Danish American, dad was a Danish immigrant in the early '60s and mom is a Yankee.... I was born in California but grew up in Copenhagen retained the accent before moving back to Cali...
I'm a businessman, a contractor into the oil and gas business.. I have never been married, no kids have always been in tune with my career.....
Still searching for that special woman. How about you?

I am well aware this is a scouting operation for some relationship scam so I have blocked the sender, but I am pretty sure that others will have received it as well.

When I tried to report it to GN HQ, I discovered that there is no 'report' button on private messages. There should be, so that the person who sent the message can be reported and barred

Anniebach Wed 26-Sep-18 17:41:34

I did

Auntieflo Wed 26-Sep-18 17:47:34

M0nica, i have not received this PM, but did get one from someone else who I did not recognise, and seemed odd, so I blocked the sender?

MawBroon Wed 26-Sep-18 17:49:24

Get your coats girls, you’ve pulled! grin

Copy and paste and send to GNHQ
Oh and block the sender while you are at it.

BlueBelle Wed 26-Sep-18 18:07:17

Yes me too! Do you mean I m not special????
I thought I was off to California haha yes blocked and how do we report apart from on here I suppose
GNHQ are you listening ?

Jane10 Wed 26-Sep-18 18:15:08

I have this problem on Twitter. All those single men with excellent jobs and fabulous lifestyles who just want to say hello or that I have a lovely smile (well obviously I have!).
I just know they are sad loners in their mum's back bedroom or nasty Albanian gangsters. Whatever happened to my wonderful Nigerian windfalls by the way?
How daft do these people thing we are?

Elegran Wed 26-Sep-18 18:20:16

With me it was colonels in the US army, wanting to chat to me on Skype. They were always colonels - are there no lower ranks in the US? Their profile pics showed them in uniform looking very macho, but I wasn't tempted.

MissAdventure Wed 26-Sep-18 18:31:08

Its surprising, and sad that people still do get taken in by these people.
I know, I've read many a tale in 'Take a Break'.

sunseeker Wed 26-Sep-18 18:44:25

No - I'm obviously not special enough (sits in corner sobbing quietly to herself!).

Anniebach Wed 26-Sep-18 18:48:43

I was complimented on my posts, I assume as many are about Fred then girls get a ?

Stansgran Wed 26-Sep-18 18:51:16

You mean.... you mean it's not true? Heartbrokengrin

BlueBelle Wed 26-Sep-18 18:54:06

Does anyone play Words 2 I am forever getting messages after a few,telling me I have a nice smile and am I married? where do I live ? Blah blah blah, they are always American I play with men and women from other countries and no one else every needs to ask these questions
It’s a shame as it’s a good scrabble like game

Luckygirl Wed 26-Sep-18 18:56:42

I will sob in the corner with you sunseeker grin

Situpstraight1 Wed 26-Sep-18 19:00:29

Same here bluebell I now only play with people I know.

sunseeker I didn’t get a PM either, hmph.....can I come sit with you? I expect you have a lovely smile!

Chewbacca Wed 26-Sep-18 19:05:39

He must have seen my profile picture and decided against it! grin

Feelingmyage55 Wed 26-Sep-18 19:08:52

The corner is getting overcrowded. I'm in too.

Situpstraight1 Wed 26-Sep-18 19:10:38

Some of us have a lovely smile and some of us are sobbing..... next one in needs to bring their own chair.

gmelon Wed 26-Sep-18 19:15:53

I can smile...honest, it's lovely.grin
Pick me! Passport ready.
Alas I am not favoured as sadly I had no message.

M0nica Wed 26-Sep-18 19:33:13

Its funny how they think that the hook to get us in is to say they work in the oil and gas industry or are military.

However, growing up in an army family and with a husband working as an engineer in the oil and gas industry (more recently wind industry). I know just how ordinary awkward and inconvenient these jobs are. Now if he had said he was an accountant or a worked for a bank, he might have stood a chance. grin

Madgran77 Wed 26-Sep-18 19:53:21

I'm devastated at missing out!!! grin

Jane10 Wed 26-Sep-18 20:18:06

The latest one is an orthopaedic surgeon. He's contacted lots of us Twitter ladies. You'd think they might spot the various tweets laughing at them. (Flashes devastating smile to GNers sobbing in the corner!)

BlueBelle Wed 26-Sep-18 20:23:31

He’s not very inventive our Tom he s sent the exact same message to all the ‘chosen few’ he could have made it a bit more personal
Think I ll put a complaint in

MissAdventure Wed 26-Sep-18 20:59:09

I feel rather slighted.
I haven't got one.

lemongrove Wed 26-Sep-18 21:18:47

Damn! I didn’t get this ( goes off in a huff.) grin

Eglantine21 Wed 26-Sep-18 21:22:31

Me neither. (Could it have beeen that rather potent curry I had for supper?)