Gransnet forums

Site stuff

A bunfight? Oh No!

(30 Posts)
Rosina Sun 14-Oct-18 11:17:47

I was seriously disappointed to see that a thread asking for input on MiL behaviour has been deleted as it has become a 'bunfight'. When I posted my 'twopennorth' this morning it did look as if some posters were getting a bit lively and frothing at the mouth, but clearly in the last couple of hours everything turned so nasty that GN have deleted the whole thread. I have witnessed this happening once or twice earlier in the year. Is it getting worse? And does relative anonymity encourage some to spit bile at other posters? The tone of one or two comments on this now deleted thread reminded me of a poster of some months ago, but the name was different. I feel as if a good friend has slapped me - I just don't like GN descending into this!

crazyH Sun 14-Oct-18 11:24:46

I didn't notice anything on M.i.l. behaviour and I check GN almost 3 or 4 times a day. Shame I missed the bunfight?

MawBroon Sun 14-Oct-18 11:28:33

It was descending into the ridiculous though, wasn’t it?

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Oct-18 11:30:35

I feel that GNHQ is increasingly keen to delete whole threads rather than just deal individually and firmly with posts/posters who break the rules. I don’t know what went on in the last couple of hours, but it’s annoying for those of us who have followed a thread and spent time contributing to it to have the whole thing wiped. This thread will go soon too, by the way, as it’s a thread about a thread and against the rules. Meanwhile, the culpable members just live to spit their bile on another thread, another day.

Craicon Sun 14-Oct-18 11:33:00

I think it was deleted because it was a fake poster rather than what it contained.

FarNorth Sun 14-Oct-18 11:37:33

I hope that was the case, Craicon, rather than a genuine poster whose whole thread has been removed because of some unpleasant posters.
Was no explanation given?

I don't think this is a thread about a thread, btw.
It's about GN's policy on deletion.

FarNorth Sun 14-Oct-18 11:39:51

I also hope that the OP of this thread isn't hoping to start a bunfight about a bunfight.
I, for one, have no buns with which to take part.

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Oct-18 11:42:08

I’m off to do a spot of baking, FarNorth. wink

Rosina Sun 14-Oct-18 12:58:18

I agree Maggiemaybe; the diverse opinions are hopefully useful to OPs and to have the whole thread disappear is frustrating. And - I have no intentions to start a bunfight about a bunfight, having always held the opinion that you should charm the birds out of the trees; it is generally more successful than throwing a brick at them. Any rows and arguments are to be avoided at all cost!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 14-Oct-18 13:24:29

We really don't like deleting threads - especially when people have taken time to post constructive advice for the OP. However, when a huge number of posts are either troll-hunting or personal attacks, as was the case here, it sometimes become necessary as the thread no longer makes any sense when there are so many deleted posts.

We don't have many rules, but we do ask that if you are concerned about whether someone is a genuine poster etc etc you contact us, rather than voicing those concerns on the thread. And personal attacks - well that rule definitely hasn't changed.

Oh and last thing (promise) - we have and have always had members from all over the world, and everyone is welcome no matter where they happen to live. Geography really doesn't make much difference when it comes to many of the subjects posted about on our forums.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 14-Oct-18 13:32:29

And just to say I have moved this from Relationships to Site Stuff

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Oct-18 14:36:04

And personal attacks - well that rule definitely hasn't changed.
I rather thought it had

MawBroon Sun 14-Oct-18 14:51:12

I have before now reported “suspicious” posts and have had my concerns disregarded.
GNHQ seem slow off the mark these days sad
And as for “personal attacks” a member was called a “Nazi” not so long ago and accused of wanting to “see the swastika flying over Whitehall.”
Where does that stand on the sliding scale of “ personal attacks”?
hmm

FarNorth Sun 14-Oct-18 15:40:58

Surely if the posts deleted are troll-hunting or personal attacks, then we won't miss them and the thread will still make sense.

lemongrove Sun 14-Oct-18 15:49:40

Maw... my thoughts exactly!

Not having even looked at the MIL thread I have no idea what went on.Typical! grin

Jane10 Sun 14-Oct-18 16:46:19

I'm intrigued now. Wish I'd read it. Drat!

Farmor15 Sun 14-Oct-18 16:55:00

For those who missed it, it was about MIL trying to give a cookie to toddler before dinner and feed “exclusively breast fed” 4 month old frosting, and then poster had to grab baby back from MIL. Sound familiar ?

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Oct-18 17:35:21

As the thread has now gone are we allowed to comment?
Do you think these threads are computer-generated?

Runs and ducks behind parapet

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Oct-18 17:39:30

Definitely seems to be a theme

Anniebach Sun 14-Oct-18 18:55:26

Glad I didn’t read it

grannyqueenie Sun 14-Oct-18 19:16:36

I must have a really suspicious mind, I sometimes see a thread that starts like the one in question and think to myself “seriously?”. I then see many good hearted folk offering sympathy and advice and berate myself for being so cynical. Later it turns out to be a wind up of some sort and am glad I didn’t waste energy on it.

Madgran77 Sun 14-Oct-18 19:38:41

It is a real shame that some posters make comments that descend it real nastiness and personal comments and also that some or make posts descend into the ridiculous!

MawBroon Sun 14-Oct-18 19:49:12

Come on, madgran it was pretty bonkers from the outset as some of us remarked very early on!

Madgran77 Sun 14-Oct-18 19:59:11

I only saw the OP very briefly in fact as been so busy today and I didn't see most of the comments and how it developed. My comment was actually meant to be a more general comment about the problems that arise when post threads do get taken over by some real nastiness etc etc ...rather than about this particular one ...but I don't think I made that very clear! Sorry!

trisher Sun 14-Oct-18 20:05:07

I do wonder if perhaps this will now become an ambition for some posters- getting a thread taken down, I mean. People can be very perverse.