Gransnet forums

Site stuff

St Andrews Day

(90 Posts)
annodomini Sat 24-Nov-18 15:52:23

30th November is St Andrew's Day. Every year we have emojis for the other patron saints' days - a rose, a leek, a shamrock; but every year I find there is no thistle for us Scots and I post about it on this site, asking for recognition for the many Scots who are members of Gransnet. Please, this year, find us a thistle!

Cherrytree59 Thu 06-Dec-18 20:50:26

thistle?

Grammaretto Thu 06-Dec-18 17:09:41

thistlethistlesmile

NanKate Thu 06-Dec-18 14:54:46

I shall brush down my kilt and freshen up my sporran ?

Agus Thu 06-Dec-18 14:51:41

Cherrytree59 ?

At last! Thank you HQ thistle

Marydoll Thu 06-Dec-18 14:43:35

Yeah! thistle

Elegran Thu 06-Dec-18 14:42:03

Thank you, HQ. thistle shamrock daffodil [rose]

Ummmm . . there is no rose! Is this ominous?

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Dec-18 13:47:22

Good news. We now have a thistle emoji, just in time for Burns night!

Elegran Fri 30-Nov-18 13:30:28

They managed to programme in the shamrock etc, which were not there when Gransnet started, and to put the Santa hats on the ordinary emojis for use at Christmas.

Cherrytree59 Fri 30-Nov-18 13:29:28

HQ I second Elegran 's request,
Or will 25th January 2019 just be
Grounghog day??

mcem Fri 30-Nov-18 13:13:42

Izabella nobody just pulled the idea out of the hat with hardly a moment's warning. It's an annual event and the emoji is something we've requested year after year!
To anno and maw from a fellow St Andrean, have a good day and enjoy your memories. 50+ years ago! Hard to believe.

Izabella Fri 30-Nov-18 13:05:18

In fairness emojis are hard to programme in.

Elegran Fri 30-Nov-18 12:57:45

Tell you what might work, Lara, get tech started right away, planning to have it ready for Robert Burns birthday (25th Jan) and maybe it will be there in time for next year's St Andrew's Day.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 30-Nov-18 11:54:33

Hello and Happy St Andrew's Day!

Also, huge apologies. Our design/tech teams have been snowed under this week and we haven't managed to make this live on time. blush We PROMISE to have it done for next year though.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 30-Nov-18 11:35:14

Happy St Andrew’s Day. Maw I am singing it now!

annodomini Fri 30-Nov-18 11:03:27

paddyann, I agree. Even when I was a student in St Andrews, the university didn't recognise the day as a holiday although that has changed since I was there 60 years ago. And it wasn't a national holiday either. I think it's still the case that different cities or local authorities have different holidays in Scotland. Edinburgh might have one while Glasgow doesn't. I remember the Glasgow Fair fortnight in July just after the schools closed, and we drove over from Ayrshire to Fife to stay with Granny while it seemed that Glasgow decamped to the Firth of Clyde - doon the watter.

Agus Fri 30-Nov-18 10:58:42

???????????????????????????? Happy St Andrews Day ????????????????????????????

Poor show GNHQ despite repeated requests, the same excuse is trotted out every year?

Don’t even contemplate the offer of the ridiculous ‘ Jimmy’ ?

paddyann Fri 30-Nov-18 10:41:58

Varian dont know what part of Scotland you grew up in but St Andrews day was never a holiday where I am.In fact there has been an ongoing campaign to make it a holiday for the past 20 years ,since the surge in the Independence movement.JANE10 The SNP didn't monopolise the Saltire ,they are the NATIONAL party of Scotland why would they not use the Scottish flag? The SNP symbol isn;t the Saltire BUT the Independence movement does use it and of course any other political persuasion is free to use it.Sadly many unionist (British /Scots) prefer to wave the Union Flag and have been seen on may occassions to BURN the Saltire .There is evidence of this on line .Happy St Andrews Day to my Greek and Russian friends who we share him with as well as my Scottish friends worldwide .

Cherrytree59 Fri 30-Nov-18 09:20:10

Happy St Andrews Day.

HQ hang your head in shame. sad

MawBroon Fri 30-Nov-18 09:12:13

Happy St Andrews Day and especially to all St Andreans
“ Gaudeamus igitur”

Happy memories of where I met my darling Paw 52 years ago.

Anniebach Fri 30-Nov-18 09:04:55

Happy Saint Andrews Day x

Alima Fri 30-Nov-18 08:47:39

DH is Scots. “What day is it today” says I to ‘im. “Friday” says he.

annodomini Fri 30-Nov-18 08:41:19

Where's our thistle?
Happy St Andrew's Day to all Scots grans - especially to my fellow St Andreans.

Elegran Fri 30-Nov-18 08:21:06

Happy St Andrews Day. Google has dancing thistles!

gillybob Fri 30-Nov-18 08:01:33

Happy St Andrews Day to all Scottish grans .

NanKate Fri 30-Nov-18 07:56:18

There is a bit of Scottish ancestry in me as well being in St Andrew’s House at school. So after breakfast I shall pop a couple of swords on the grass and do a bit of nifty dancing. I think I can here some bagpipes. ?