Gransnet forums

Site stuff

A word of warning- dodgy hyperlinks. (The blue writing in links)

(8 Posts)
Parsley3 Tue 18-Dec-18 15:00:08

Thanks, Marydoll. It is easy to forget that we have to be aware of dodgy links.

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 18-Dec-18 14:21:04

Thank you for the warning. There's some good advice here.

Just to put your minds at rest, we do monitor the site on evenings and weekends but are always grateful if you can report these posts as you see them.

Marydoll Mon 17-Dec-18 16:59:44

Some of these hyperlinks are so damaging to a device and as Cherrytree says it's so easy to click and think later.

Years ago, I received an email from someone who had a virus on their PC. It then sent emails to all my contacts, went all through the local Authority Education Network and then into my husband's email system at work and all the way to their HQ in Finland, all because someone had originally clicked on a dodgy link.
Thank goodness the anti virus software stopped it in time.
The person who sent the email's solution was to switch off his PC, thinking that would sort things. angry
He was so dismissive, not realising the damage he could have done!
shock

Never download from a source you don't know, but that is what this poster was advising on the thread about space bars on a phone and on the Windows 10 thread.

merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-18 16:39:45

I guess the granddaughter's hair thread went in the bin as well. tchgrin

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:35:44

Thank you for the warning Marydoll so easy to click first and think later.

I reported Chinese Chocolate herbal thread earlier today.

BlueBelle Mon 17-Dec-18 16:18:42

You are right and thanks for the heads up I had a thread I reported deleted this morning from an utter nutter ?must be the Christmas spirit

Grannybags Mon 17-Dec-18 16:10:30

Thanks for the warning Marydoll

Marydoll Mon 17-Dec-18 14:47:42

In the last couple of weeks, I have reported four suspect hyperlinks links, which could possibly infect your device with a virus and also a post this morning from a "gentleman" looking for a pen pal. They have all been deleted by GN.

However, these posters seem to be posting at the weekend and later in the evening, when they obviously think no-one is monitoring GN.
Three were deleted this morning.

Please think carefully before clicking on these links, there are lots of nasty people out there, who obviously think we are doddery old fools.
We certainly are not!