Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Changes to GN

(87 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Jan-19 12:00:38

We are going to be improving the way you see ads on the site so there will be a few changes while we test what works best. The changes won't be visible to everyone at this stage so don't worry if you don't see any difference. For those of you who do notice the new version, it would be really helpful to us if you could let us know if the changes make it difficult for you to use Gransnet at all? If there are any issues (fingers crossed there won't be!) if you could take and send us a screenshot, that would be great. Hopefully it all run very smoothly but we did want to give you a heads up. smile

NotSpaghetti Mon 28-Jan-19 14:24:05

If you want to improve Gransnet can I please put a request in for ACTUAL photos of the Gransnet recipies please?

I’m SO fed up when I like the look of a dish that only bears a passing resemblance to the “stock photo” images. Sometimes the image even shows things not in the recipe- eg, a delicious-looking mushroomy stew with no mushroom ingredients!

Thank you.

mcem Mon 28-Jan-19 11:52:06

The main issue is that we find them irritating and simply don't want them scattered throughout the threads.
"Being aware of" is not synonymous with "dealing with it".

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 28-Jan-19 10:56:53

Please rest assured that we do listen to what you want - as Lara mentioned search is up and running again. Major tech changes are complex but we are absolutely aware of requests for edit and like buttons etc

Re the ads...do please continue to report any further issues. Many thanks

BradfordLass72 Mon 28-Jan-19 07:12:49

So far the adverts I see here are unobtrusive but should they appear centre screen and/or prevent me from reading and participating freely, I'll simply leave.

I never respond to adverts on principle smile

GN is very interesting with some lovely people but it's not vital to my existence and there are NZ based fora I could join where I'd not be bothered by ads.

farview Sun 27-Jan-19 13:53:44

So VERY annoying!!!!!

BlueBelle Sun 27-Jan-19 10:52:46

Why do Head Quarters periodically come on asking for our opinions when we see no changes except for ones we specifically haven’t asked for

Charleygirl5 Sat 26-Jan-19 15:30:20

eazybee I was at that stage also but have rectified it by using Adblocker and it has worked a treat.

I found it very annoying if eg I looked at duvet covers online. Within minutes I would be getting adverts for covers here with all of the other rubbish so I am delighted to be rid of it all. It was either the ads or me.

GNHQ will lose out.

eazybee Sat 26-Jan-19 13:36:47

Moving adverts with no delete button constantly appearing on right hand side of my laptop page; extremely distracting and annoying, to the extent I will stop following gransnet if they continue.

Kalu Sat 26-Jan-19 12:47:49

I know this is possible on MN, highlighting a thread one has just viewed. So much easier than searching through all thread titles to find where I left off.

Is this a possibility for GN?

BlueBelle Sat 26-Jan-19 05:04:23

I have a small one to the right hand side FF if I scroll over and look for it and another small one at the top which I also don’t see unless I scroll up to the top So I have a couple but I don’t see them which I find very strange as I ve done nothing to stop them by the way they are static and both for the same company
So like you I m very puzzled

FlexibleFriend Fri 25-Jan-19 22:16:14

I don't get any adverts. Confused I am.

Charleygirl5 Fri 25-Jan-19 21:52:39

I have enough problems with my eyesight, being partially sighted, that I cannot cope with flickering, moving ads. I did use an ad blocker and it worked temporarily but a higher authority appears to have removed it. I must try again.

phoenix Fri 25-Jan-19 16:22:19

STOP IT NOW!

Ads in the middle of the "active" page, ads in the middle of threads, it's disruptive, intrusive and bloody annoying.angry

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 10:36:43

I still have ads on the side which is surprising as I thought I'd downloaded an adblocker yesterday.
There is also a large green box above the list of threads, with nothing in it!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 25-Jan-19 10:32:04

Thanks again for your patience. The team who are working on this have made some adjustments so it should be improving. Your feedback has been very useful though so thank you for that. smile With regards to the Martin Lewis ad, if there are any ads that you think might be suspicious please can you send us a screenshot or the site that it sends you to so that we can take action.

aggie Fri 25-Jan-19 09:02:03

Ads are at the side on my laptop , which is ok , but on Kindle Fire they are in the thread , making me think the thread is over so miss reading some posts . VERY ANNOYING

Gonegirl Thu 24-Jan-19 21:34:04

I've got Adblock on my desktop but not on iPad.

Gonegirl Thu 24-Jan-19 21:33:24

Cherrytree I am a total idiot. I will now expect loads of marketing junk. ☹️

shysal Thu 24-Jan-19 17:53:41

I use free Ad blocker on my laptop and it seems to cover my tablet too. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't do the same.

Cherrytree59 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:07:54

Gonegirl re Free Cadbury chocolates, just had a look.
It is a marketing ploy to get your details and info on energy provider, mobile phone and broadband provider etc
The company is in
Kuala Lumpur

Alima Thu 24-Jan-19 09:09:16

Cannot see any changes as yet. However, reading your comments it looks like whatever “they” are doing isn’t for our benefit. Lara’s OP: “improve the way you see ads on site” and the very ominous “let us know if the changes make it difficult to use GNet at all”. Speaks volumes. Let’s be thankful for what we have as it may get much, much worse.

Gymstagran Thu 24-Jan-19 06:04:32

Thank you for the option to delete ad by clicking the "x". Works on those in the middle of pages

Tangerine Wed 23-Jan-19 21:50:16

The ads are a nuisance. They are a distraction.

Cherrytree59 Wed 23-Jan-19 19:24:37

You were brave Jalima
59.9% apr!
Yes agree Gonegirl awful.

GNHQ please take note and respond to our concerns.

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 19:17:13

That is advertising misery. ?