Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Changes to GN

(86 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Jan-19 12:00:38

We are going to be improving the way you see ads on the site so there will be a few changes while we test what works best. The changes won't be visible to everyone at this stage so don't worry if you don't see any difference. For those of you who do notice the new version, it would be really helpful to us if you could let us know if the changes make it difficult for you to use Gransnet at all? If there are any issues (fingers crossed there won't be!) if you could take and send us a screenshot, that would be great. Hopefully it all run very smoothly but we did want to give you a heads up. smile

POGS Tue 22-Jan-19 12:53:43

Lara

Sorry but I still can't get Search working yet so can you not concentrate on the members problems first and the adverts later, albeit that is how you raise your funding.

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Jan-19 13:05:29

hi HQ
Is that why I have a very annoying advert ( video) slap bang on the middle of the activity page??

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Jan-19 13:12:14

Two video advertisements in middle of active page HQ.
Hard not to notice!
And very annoying, will not entice me to watch or make a purchase!

nonnasusie Tue 22-Jan-19 13:13:32

I can't get "active" etc. at the bottom of the page on my tablet and I'm getting an advertisement in the middle of a forum too!!

BlueBelle Tue 22-Jan-19 13:16:15

Forget adverts we don’t need to look at them they are the least of our concerns What we do need is

A search facility that works
An edit button
A private forum for personal and delicate problems

NanaandGrampy Tue 22-Jan-19 13:33:17

ah but will any of those things ( that I totally support) raise cold hard cash Bluebelle :-) ??

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Jan-19 13:33:24

These adverts are driving me mad ?
I have three moving adverts all over the page and they advertising the same thing!
One minute bras the next puddle coats.

PLEASE STOP THEM
Before I and other GNers get a migraine!

Izabella Tue 22-Jan-19 13:37:39

Extremely annoying adverts which are bad for those of us with visual problems. Can we have an option to pay a small annual fee £5ish) to have a version WITHOUT any adverts at all?

Gymstagran Tue 22-Jan-19 13:45:20

Adverts at top and bottom were annoying enough. Those in the middle are exasperating and there is no "x" in the corner to delete them. One on this thread looked to be for young mens clothes. On gransnet? Appreciate the need for funds but !!

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Jan-19 13:46:46

Izabella GN is not a poor internet site, it part of The Mumsnet worldwide organisation which is just trying to make even more money ?

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Jan-19 13:52:50

Excuse me GNHQ I have just popped over to MN there are no additional annoying adverts on either the MN active or post pages.
I agree with Gymstagran where is the x in the corner to delete??

Nanabilly Tue 22-Jan-19 13:57:13

If we are going to be getting those annoying pop up moving and flashing ads I shall not bother coming on. Does HQ really think we are gullible enough to click on any of them.

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Jan-19 14:11:06

PLEASE stop it now HQ angry
I now have a Ukraine ladies dating site in the middle of my page.

You don't seem to care who advertises as long as you get your dosh!!

MissAdventure Tue 22-Jan-19 14:25:11

After are in the top, middle and bottom of each page, blocking out everything else.
Can barely see any of the functions, including the box to write in.
Reams of blank areas while the ads load.

MissAdventure Tue 22-Jan-19 14:26:20

Oops. Adverts. Couldn't see what I was writing as I had a section of Roman blinds scrolling past!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Jan-19 14:37:18

Lots of blank spaces, you seem to have glitches in the system!!!

GabriellaG54 Tue 22-Jan-19 14:48:49

I was just going to message you about what I thought was a blip when huge areas of my screen were covered with ads top and bottom.
Not good to have 1/3 of the screen obliterated hmmangry
I would seriously think about my use of GN, if promoting ads I don't want to see impede my vision.
Not everyone uses their laptop and, although I have one, I rarely use it. My mobile is used 95% of the time.
Please rethink your placement and use of ads.
It's becoming a real bind nowadays to see huge 'placards' across the screen telling us that cookies are being placed on our devices before we can get to view any content or asking for donations to help them continue being a pain.
I sincerely hope that GN doesn't go down that route.

Thank you...?flowers

GabriellaG54 Tue 22-Jan-19 14:51:16

Screen view

MrsEggy Tue 22-Jan-19 15:03:54

please keep ads to the side, not top or middle of page.

Jane10 Tue 22-Jan-19 15:26:18

Horrible horrible!! Stop it. Big blanks then annoying flashing adverts in the middle of threads.
Way to lose all your contributors GN. Massive own goal!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Jan-19 15:51:56

Thank you for your feedback - all most useful. We have passed it on and will continue to monitor. Hopefully the teething problems will disappear once we have made a few tweaks.

Re the search function...yes, we totally appreciate how frustrating this is. Our tech team are continuing to work on it and we hope it will be up and running again asap. In the meantime you can try putting gransnet: search term into the url bar at the top and that should do the trick

GabriellaG54 Tue 22-Jan-19 16:26:52

This is now getting ridiculous.
Trying to type a comment when page keeps jumping and covered with ads.
Please GNHQ, stop the ads

OurKid1 Tue 22-Jan-19 16:27:48

If you are having a rethink about the Site, please could we have a 'like' button. That way those of us who post replies, but don't really expect an answer won't feel ignored!

It'd be the equivalent of a nod of agreement in the real world.

Izabella Tue 22-Jan-19 16:34:07

Solved. Post its over the adverts.