Gransnet forums

Site stuff

BBC Aged-Related TV Licence Consultation - have your say

(99 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Jan-19 13:39:32

We have been invited to put forward an organisational response of gransnetters' views to the consultation about what the BBC should do when the UK Government funding of licence fees for over-75 households comes to an end.

Today, all households with someone aged over 75 are entitled to receive free TV licences. The cost of this scheme has been funded by the UK Government since it was introduced in 2000. In 2020 the current scheme is set to come to an end - any new scheme after this needs to be decided on and paid for by the BBC.

Any age-related concession would mean the BBC would have less money, which would mean fewer programmes and services.

There are a number of options.

1) for the BBC to copy the existing scheme. This would cost the BBC at least £745 million a year, the equivalent of around a fifth of the BBC's budget today and around the same amount of money that the BBC currently spends on all of BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four, the BBC News Channel, and the BBC children's channels CBBC and CBeebies. A major reduction in the BBC's services would be unavoidable. The BBC believes that this level of cuts to services would not be consistent with sustaining the BBC's mission and purposes for all audiences.

2) to restore a universal licence fee, and not have any age-targeted concession. This would return to the principle that existed up to 2000 that every household who receives BBC TV services should pay for them. While there would be a cost of around £72m in 2021/22 (and less in the years after that), the efficiency savings the BBC expects it can make mean the overall result of taking this option would be no significant cuts to BBC services. But it recognises this option would remove the concession from all older households. The concession was introduced to help relieve pensioner poverty, which is still an issue for some older people. We also recognise the significance of BBC programmes and services as an important source of enjoyment and companionship for the elderly.

3) reforming the concession, so that a concession for older age groups would still apply, but in a different way from at present. This approach could provide focused support to some in the older age group, and also allow the BBC to continue to deliver popular services that would otherwise have to close. This could be done by a) discounting the cost of a licence fee (so older people would pay a reduced rate) or b) raising the age threshold for the concession from 75. Or c) means-testing the concession for older people eg by linking free licences to one of the UK Government's measures of pensioner income, for example Pension Credit.

It would be really useful to have your views here on this thread on which of these three options you think would be best (and why). Many thanks

Ailsa43 Tue 22-Jan-19 21:54:07

3C

annodomini Wed 23-Jan-19 09:11:01

3c

Nannytopsy Wed 23-Jan-19 09:34:09

3c. Why should a millionaire need a free TV licence? And I would do the same for prescriptions too.

dirgni Wed 23-Jan-19 09:52:13

Option 3

Venus Wed 23-Jan-19 09:58:38

3a but as others have suggested, the salaries paid to sport presenters and others should be seriously looked at. Why is it that it is always the most vunerable members of society that are targeted, namely senior citizens? The population, who are still in employment, are the ones who can more easily afford to subsidize those that are in retirement. When it's their turn, they will reap the benefits, if any, of the older population.

Kerenhappuch Wed 23-Jan-19 10:01:14

Option 3 - reforming the concession so it doesn't cost as much, but continuing to provide a concession. Or - an option I haven't noticed above - the government should continue to contribute. And the BBC should definitely look for savings that don't affect most of their output, such as salaries.

As a rider, I think the attack on old people should cease! I'm fed up of hearing how much we're coasting everyone! I've paid in all my life, and never grudged concessions to the elderly and retired.

jocelyne Wed 23-Jan-19 10:02:16

Option 3C

Cp43 Wed 23-Jan-19 10:21:08

The BBC are the only channel in the world with no annoying adverts and long may it last. I’m keenest on option 3c.

bets1e Wed 23-Jan-19 10:23:11

I think it should be kept free not all people would be able to afford the fee. I think the BBC should be made to fund themselves like other ones. If they stopped over paying senior executives and some TV 'stars' and wasting money they wouldn't be having this problem.

grandmaz Wed 23-Jan-19 10:25:33

Hard to believe that with all the viewing options available nowadays. we are still paying an annual license fee to an outdated organisation which once had a near monopoly and now is just one of many. I think that the BBC needs to put its house in order and adopt a more modern flexible charging system which is fit for purpose in today's world. It seems wrong that we can't watch ANYTHING, on any channel on a tv unless we have a BBC license.
If I had to choose one option from those listed above, it would be 3C.

tiggers Wed 23-Jan-19 10:34:28

Leave the 75 year olds alone to enjoy their free TV. It is one of their pleasures and is possibly their only means of "companionship", especially for those people with reduced mobility.

So many programmes are repeats anyway. Presenters are paid far too much money (some don't even know what they actually earn!)

joanrichie Wed 23-Jan-19 10:42:48

I'd go for 3C

patsykelly Wed 23-Jan-19 10:42:49

3C - means tested. Let those of us who can, keep on paying, but not not penalise those who can't

moorlikeit Wed 23-Jan-19 10:49:41

3c seems fairest.

I absolutely disagree with those who want the BBC to be funded by advertising. I cannot imagine anything worse. I hate the time taken up by ads (which I always mute) - they totally ruin films and you end up with other programmes starting each section with a recap as if we have all lost the plot during the ad break.

I could go on about the evils inherent in public service broadcasting having to rely on advertising but I will spare you all! I happily pay my licence fee for ad-free quality television. I think it's a great bargain compared to all the commercial packages.

I do agree with those Gransnetters who would like the salaries reduced. I would like to see more up-and-coming presenters/actors etc given a chance as it becomes dull when the same "stars" keep showing up on everything. It would also mean that they couldn't demand such ridiculous salaries.

sal49 Wed 23-Jan-19 10:57:03

In some other countries the TV licence is included in the annual equivalent of council tax so many older people living on their own would qualify for whatever discount is applied. Many European countries seem to value their older folk much more than we seem to do and care and respect are built into most laws.

maisie46 Wed 23-Jan-19 11:16:16

How on earth would it cost the BBC £745 million a year to administer free licences for over 75s households? I would go for Option 3a or 3b

Brigidsdaughter Wed 23-Jan-19 11:18:32

Ruskin Wed 23-Jan-19 11:21:16

I'd be happy to see the license fee means tested to make sure those on a low income don't have to miss out on entertainment at home. Otherwise make it free to all & use commercials to fund the service as other channels do (with maybe paid ad free options for those willing to do so)

harrigran Wed 23-Jan-19 11:24:35

Option 1. The BBC are not really catering to all ages and tastes anyway. They are biased and appear to me to exist only to benefit themselves.
If they want to save money stop sending large casts of actors to Caribbean islands for months at a time to record dramas that only a minority watch.

Mazamet07 Wed 23-Jan-19 11:25:47

Keep it free. Loneliness is prevalent and a connection to the outside world via television can help, at least partly, to alleviate this. The BBC should stop paying such ridiculously (and undeserved) high salaries: the money saved would go towards supplementing those of us in need.

cathisherwood Wed 23-Jan-19 11:42:49

Let the over 75s keep their free tv licence and make the BBC stop and think about paying out enormous sums to their presenters and celebrities. Give the young and talented a chance and cut back on huge game prizes too

Molly10 Wed 23-Jan-19 11:43:29

Question ==

Could you please tell me how the £745 million is made up from in option 1?

Mapleleaf Wed 23-Jan-19 12:07:39

I'm leaning towards 3 a, i.e. discounting the licence fee for over 75's., which could reduce further every 5 years, perhaps?
Means testing sounds fair in principle, but there are probably a lot of people who would not apply/wouldn't know how to apply/don't want to apply for 'handouts' as they might see it.
I also agree that the huge salaries paid to some tv personalities needs looking at, and also some of the programmes that air. We have far too many rubbishy and repetitive "reality" programmes and soaps, in my opinion.

RustyBear Wed 23-Jan-19 12:17:51

The £745 million is (I assume) the money the BBC are currently getting from the government to cover the loss of income from free tv licences.
Over 75s are currently around 8% of the total population of just over 66 million. The TV licence costs £150.50

(66,000,000x8%)x150.5= 794,640,000
So if the government is currently paying £745 million a year, they are actually underpaying by about £50 million compared to what the BBC would get if every over-75 bought a licence. Some, of course, would not have a licence of their own (eg those in care homes) so £745 million is probably a reasonable estimate.

barbaralynne Wed 23-Jan-19 12:25:08

Option 3c please.