Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Deleted PMs - This is important

(255 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 18-Feb-19 20:59:54

I was concerned to find that some of my private messages around 20 December last year have disappeared, apparently “deleted at user request”.
Well I certainly did not delete them so the question is “which user” ?
How can anybody interfere with private messages- I thought the clue was in the name.
Izabella Annodomini and Lemongrove might like to check theirs too.
Coincidentally they were generally on the same topic.
Is Big Brother not only watching us but censoring our mail?
I take a dim view of this breach of confidentiality if that is indeed the case .

cornergran Mon 18-Feb-19 22:05:48

Several messages sent and received by and to one person in December have been deleted. I may be playing with fire here but I plan to PM the person involved and ask her if she requested the deletion. Can’t imagine why she would, it was a calm and friendly exchange of messages

POGS Mon 18-Feb-19 22:06:42

I may have been a bit hasty saying the following:-

' I know today 2 old pm's that had 'This message has been removed at users request.' ' against them have disappeared completely as though to leave no trace of this happening.'

It could be because only 20 pm's are displayed and having 3 more today perhaps they ' dropped off'.

Does anybody know if you can access All pm's not just the last 20 shown?

I am convinced it is only certain GN users this is happening to.

lemongrove Mon 18-Feb-19 22:06:43

The other thing is what I said at the top of the page, that HQ just remove old pms to save computer memory space.
I expect someone from GNHQ will be along shortly.

Marydoll Mon 18-Feb-19 22:07:25

GN need to respond to this.

Chewbacca Mon 18-Feb-19 22:07:33

Big Brother is watching us..

MissAdventure Mon 18-Feb-19 22:08:21

Mine were just 2 or 3 days old.
I have lots of older ones.

grannyactivist Mon 18-Feb-19 22:08:55

I had four removed in November and one in January.

What is going on?????

Marydoll Mon 18-Feb-19 22:09:12

It's the statement that the deletion was at poster's request that is puzzling.

POGS Mon 18-Feb-19 22:11:15

lemongrove

'All they are doing is clearing away old messages, and not snubbing a poster.'
----

Have you gone into your ' Inbox' to check?

How can it be a case of clearing old messages when previous pm's remain?

It appears to be a case of ' targeting' if only 2 posters in my case have had their pm's removed.

MawBroon Mon 18-Feb-19 22:11:57

It raises the question of who has “ownership” of pm’s once written and sent.
Is it the writer or is it the recipient.
Like looking back through old emails to confirm something I may be unsure if I think it is wrong for anybody to delete my private messages.
As I said before, I thought the clue was in the name ?

Chewbacca Mon 18-Feb-19 22:12:33

I don't think it can be that GNHQ are just clearing out old messages to make room lemon. My inbox and sent messages go back to last September and beyond. So why certain messages, to several people, at random times?

boheminan Mon 18-Feb-19 22:13:34

I've had the same thing - a couple of messages I sent to and received from one GN member at the beginning of November last year were deleted with 'this message has been removed at user request'. They were very innocent messages, so I was surprised (and a little hurt at the time) that apparently the user had removed them.

This explains a lot....

Marydoll Mon 18-Feb-19 22:18:26

My deleted ones are from random posters, at random times nothing nasty or contentious. Just simple chat.
There is no apparent reason for the deletions.

cornergran Mon 18-Feb-19 22:19:10

The correspondent involved in my deleted messages may no longer be a member. I tried a PM and got the message ‘this poster is no longer receiving pm’s’. Of course I may have offended her but I truly don’t think so.

lemongrove Mon 18-Feb-19 22:30:43

I have nothing earlier than Jan 8 in my inbox.Either HQ has deleted them, or I have ( and forgotten) as I do periodically clear old messages.That may result in posters getting a message that I have deleted theirs.Does this make sense?

Chewbacca Mon 18-Feb-19 22:34:01

To be honest, I didn't even know that pm messages could be deleted. I thought that they just got deleted after a period of time. Even if that's correct, it doesn't explain why messages that are more than 5 months old remain, whilst other, more recent messages, have been targeted for deletion.

POGS Mon 18-Feb-19 22:36:30

lemon

Your last pm to me was to wish my family and I a Happy Xmas.

As of this minute that pm states :-

This message has been removed at users request.

Did you request it? I think not.

Anja Mon 18-Feb-19 22:41:45

I hardly ever send PMs but thought I’d better check and two of mine have been deleted.

lemongrove Mon 18-Feb-19 22:45:47

If I cleared old messages by hitting the delete button POGS then that could well happen.I didn’t realise that my message to you (as well) would vanish!
I really do think this is the case, but it doesn’t explain everything.
Maybe it’s this scenario: a poster (me) clears out their inbox
And that results in a message to all they have sent to, the unfriendly phrase ‘deleted at users request’.
Then, HQ decide to delete certain old messages that posters have only sent to once (i.e. not regular recipients.)

lemongrove Mon 18-Feb-19 22:47:22

Am running out of theories.grin

MissAdventure Mon 18-Feb-19 22:48:17

But why would the other person need to know that you had cleared some messages out?

MissAdventure Mon 18-Feb-19 22:49:10

Try again, Miss Marple grin

MissAdventure Mon 18-Feb-19 22:50:18

I have a theory..
Maybe its something to do with the '502 bad gateway errors'?

lemongrove Mon 18-Feb-19 22:50:52

?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Feb-19 22:51:34

Hello all

We have been trying to get to the bottom of this and will get tech to take a look in the morning. We will report back ASAP. Apologies for what seems to be a temporary glitch