Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Deleted PMs - This is important

(255 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 18-Feb-19 20:59:54

I was concerned to find that some of my private messages around 20 December last year have disappeared, apparently “deleted at user request”.
Well I certainly did not delete them so the question is “which user” ?
How can anybody interfere with private messages- I thought the clue was in the name.
Izabella Annodomini and Lemongrove might like to check theirs too.
Coincidentally they were generally on the same topic.
Is Big Brother not only watching us but censoring our mail?
I take a dim view of this breach of confidentiality if that is indeed the case .

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 18:05:33

Chewbacca Do you get a little textbox with some gobbledegook in it when you try to post?

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 18:04:50

Missadventure Not a formal group, just several recipients at once (with commas between them in the "To" box)

Chewbacca Thu 21-Feb-19 17:55:11

I'm still having problems with pms. I've just received one from jalima and was able to read it but it won't let me reply. No matter how many times I hit send, the message doesn't go.

GNHQ please tel me what's going on and how can it be sorted out. Please?

MissAdventure Thu 21-Feb-19 17:52:48

I don't understand 'in a group'.
What group?

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 17:40:49

Perhaps the techy people are in the middle of changing stuff? That can cause chaos on a website.

POGS Thu 21-Feb-19 17:33:24

PS

Rachell I never pm to groups of posters always to the individual.

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 21-Feb-19 17:32:17

Just a quick note to reiterate that no one is deleting anyone's PMs except the sender or receiver. If you have sent a message to multiple people, if any one person in that group deletes the message, everyone will see the "deleted message" alert.

To answer people wondering why you've just noticed this in your inboxes, this is a fairly recent addition to the system, since GDPR came into effect.

POGS Thu 21-Feb-19 17:32:16

Right.

I have just sent a message to Jalima telling her I was going to 'bin' one her pm's stating the date/time/message.

According to GNHQ this action should show the message 'This message has been removed at user request' because if one or both parties delete a pm that's what happens.

Nope!

The 'binned' message simply dropped out of the PM list, As Usually happens.

I am beyond confused.

BlueBelle Thu 21-Feb-19 17:18:50

Elegran how do you think my pms were deleted MID conversation between myself and another poster who is still very much posting and NEITHER of us asked for any deletions
What can be the explanation for that?

lemongrove Thu 21-Feb-19 16:56:27

Yes Elegran that’s what I think too, it’s just an automated service.

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:55:25

Perhaps the gremlins can wind the clock back a month.

muffinthemoo Thu 21-Feb-19 16:54:27

I feel a bit sad about this as I had kept a number of very kind and thoughtful PMs sent to me and liked to flick through them occasionally. Can't now sad

aggie Thu 21-Feb-19 16:52:58

I could understand messages dropping off the bottom without trace , but messages in the middle of the list , both out and replies , with the odd note is unsettling
ps odd as in strange

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:51:54

Sorry to have confused you Jalima Elegran to the rescue!

Thanks Elegran

Yes, I had to add the 1108 when I re-registered after my email got hacked!

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 16:51:01

Glad to be of service, POGS grin I asked because that is the kind of thing I have done myself.blush

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 16:48:59

I don't believe that it is anything sinister, Day6

I suspect that when that must-give-permission-for-every- last-thing-online stuff was all the go, back in ?November?, Gransnet techy department added a bit to the deleting-pms command, so that all trace of a deleted pm would vanish, in the sender's outbox and the receiver's inbox, whether it was the sender or the receiver who deleted it.

However, it may have been rather more efficient than they intended, and a pm sent to several people would vanish from ALL of them if one of them deleted. Most of us don't look at past pms very often, so no-one would notice for a while.

I really don't think anyone reads our pms. It is probably an automatic thing, working when someone clicks on "delete", not operated by a human being. We get a bit sensitive to privacy concerns in the current online climate. Anyhow, they will all be hopping about like blue-arsed flies finding out what is causing it and (we hope) putting it right.

POGS Thu 21-Feb-19 16:46:43

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 15:44:25.

POGS Did you add the 1108 to Jalima1108 ? Just asking.
----

Bugger blush

Sorry to have confused you Jalima Elegran to the rescue!

Day6 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:11:42

Who is doing the deleting? Are our private messages floating around in the ether/readily available for anyone at GN HQ to read? Message boxes have been accessed by people other than the senders or recipients. Surely the messages I send to people cannot be deleted by anyone but me?

Have we been hacked?

Have we had answers?

Anniebach Thu 21-Feb-19 16:01:59

I am so confused

kittylester Thu 21-Feb-19 16:00:08

I have some deleted which weren't deleted by the sender!

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 15:45:06

I got error 502 the first time I tried, but not the second time.

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 15:44:25

POGS Did you add the 1108 to Jalima1108 ? Just asking.

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 15:43:14

Have just tested a "New message" to you Jalima

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 14:45:02

Hurray - I received one from you, POGS, timed at 14:35:51

POGS Thu 21-Feb-19 14:42:39

Jalima

Tried twice to send you a ' new message' and I get the same.

Could any poster try to send Jalima a message using the ' New Message' box as I am very confused.