Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Deleted PMs - This is important

(255 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 18-Feb-19 20:59:54

I was concerned to find that some of my private messages around 20 December last year have disappeared, apparently “deleted at user request”.
Well I certainly did not delete them so the question is “which user” ?
How can anybody interfere with private messages- I thought the clue was in the name.
Izabella Annodomini and Lemongrove might like to check theirs too.
Coincidentally they were generally on the same topic.
Is Big Brother not only watching us but censoring our mail?
I take a dim view of this breach of confidentiality if that is indeed the case .

EllanVannin Thu 28-Feb-19 18:09:55

Not only were my pm's deleted----------but the whole of my emails plus my email address vanished ! The whole structure of my email page is knackered. I can neither send nor receive any.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Feb-19 17:31:47

The same happened with myself and others persistent

Persistentdonor Thu 28-Feb-19 17:03:48

She tells me she knows nothing about it, and has not deleted anything, so why ALL of hers, but not others' are gone I have no idea.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Feb-19 07:52:00

RachelGransNet thank you, it may not be a security problem I didn’t actually expect it to be BUT it could cause tension or even upset between posters if someone suddenly finds their messages deleted, I went over and over in my head what I could have said to make the receipent delete my message I thought I d offender her, I asked and I hadn’t but some people may be too concerned to ask
And secondly the message clearly says DELETED AT POSTERS REQUEST but that’s completely untrue we are not asking for these posts to be deleted

The good news is it hasnt happened to me since MawBroon started this thread

If a poster leaves cannot the message be ‘Poster has left GN’

Persistentdonor Thu 28-Feb-19 07:04:59

All the private messages from one particular user, in my inbox, have been deleted at users request. I have texted her to ask if she knows about this.

GabriellaG54 Wed 27-Feb-19 23:21:01

wuite quite angry

GabriellaG54 Wed 27-Feb-19 23:20:04

Well...after reading the wuite hilarious dialogue between Jalima1108 and POGS I thought I'd PM POGS earlier, just to see if things were still tickety-boo.
She may have gone to bed but I'll prob hear tomorrow.
I sent an SOS in Morse code. ???

Marydoll Wed 27-Feb-19 23:08:38

PC and tablet for me.

MissAdventure Wed 27-Feb-19 23:01:04

Mobile for me.

GabriellaG54 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:49:59

Is it happening on computers, laptops and mobiles? I use the mobile site.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Feb-19 23:04:59

I had the message full of gobbledy gook and it said "access denied" at the end of it when I went to send a pm.
I assumed it hadn't sent, but think it may have sent several.
That's what I assumed had happened when people had sent me pms, and why I thought they had requested that the extra ones were deleted. (Which I thought was a bit strange, but very nice of them!)

Gonegirl Thu 21-Feb-19 22:44:04

What was in these deleted messages? Should MI6 be brought in?

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 21-Feb-19 22:21:09

BlueBelle I have told you what we know.

Thank you to everyone who has reported any technical issues to GNHQ. We have passed them on to our tech team.

Please rest assured that this is not a security issue.

BlueBelle Thu 21-Feb-19 21:38:20

Elegant I m not shooting her I ve asked a direct question more than once and had no acknowledgement .i don’t mind if the answer was ‘we don’t know yet Bluebelle’ but no acknowledgement of the question is frustrating

BradfordLass72 Thu 21-Feb-19 21:06:56

From the GN Privacy Policy page:
"protecting your privacy, and giving you control over your data are an important aspect of that mission."

Worth a read:

www.gransnet.com/info/privacy-policy#Our_aims_and_duty_of_care

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 20:09:56

Well done Elegran

I did try but failed.

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 20:04:42

Bluebelle Don't shoot the messenger. I don't think Rachelle knows what is causing it either, she can only repeat what Tech has told her is the story so far.

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 20:02:51

The gobbledegook is part of the coding which runs the programme which runs the site. I think it is showing in the text box because there is an error at that point. I have copied what appears (a letter at a time because it wouldn't let me highlight it and copy it with a right click) and sent it to HQ who have passed it on Tech.

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:54:43

But only half of the area to type in is visible
Yes, you can't check for typos until it is too late and you check what you've sent in your sent box.

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:53:34

Do you get a little textbox with some gobbledegook in it when you try to post?
yes, a strange unintelligible encrypted message!
I think the aliens have invaded Gransnet.

BlueBelle Thu 21-Feb-19 19:05:34

RachelGransnet I m getting frustrated with your replies
Someone other than me and the other poster HAS deleted our messages as neither of us have and we were NOT in a group SO IT WAS A THIRD PARTY BUT WHO ????
Please explain that one it was mid January
it happened mid conversation

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 18:22:41

You don't have to be in a definite group to have emails sent you that have more than one recipient, though. If you look at where the recipient is named, is there more than one person there? You can see this even on a deleted email.

Ginny42 Thu 21-Feb-19 18:20:01

Neither I nor the recipient has deleted PMs. So the question is, how is it possible for them to be deleted?

We're not in a group,we haven't had a clear out and later ones have arrived OK.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Feb-19 18:09:49

Thank you, elegran.
That confuses issues more, because I have never been the recipient or sent any to a group.

Chewbacca Thu 21-Feb-19 18:09:18

No Elegran nothing like that. But only half of the area to type in is visible and i cant see the "post message" box until i scroll right down to the bottom of the page. Even then, when i hit "send from Chewbacca " it doesnt send. Very frustrating because its gone on for too long now!