Gransnet forums

Site stuff

"I agree" thumbs up

(45 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Sat 01-Jun-19 15:43:43

Actually, it doesn't have to be a thumb but just a way of tallying agreement. I think it would let people get involved without posting if they want to and save lots of repetition.

I hope it's okay to add the picture. It's how they do it on another forum I go on.

sassenach512 Sun 02-Jun-19 23:53:56

I like your thinking BradfordLass grin

Eloethan Mon 03-Jun-19 02:07:00

I think the trend, which is strongly encouraged by various sites, to get people to "like" other people's comments, as on Facebook, is an insidious one.

It shouldn't matter if hundreds of people agree with, or like, what you say or nobody does. However, it has been known for some Gransnetters to express concern as to the lack of response to a thread they have started or a post they have made. It's not a competition but, in my opinion, this sort of affirmation process turns it into one and encourages a sort of "group think" mentality.

crystaltipps Mon 03-Jun-19 03:45:25

I agree with the above. No doubt if we had a thumbs up we should also have a thumbs down and some of the faint hearted would complain of bullying or being ganged up against. One poster had a habit of giving her own self appointed “recommendations” to those she merely agreed with even though they were writing incomprehensible twaddle. That seems to have fallen by the wayside fortunately.

Alima Mon 03-Jun-19 06:52:20

Gone girl: “a left handed person. Looks odd”. It looks perfectly fine to me. Could we have a two (or one) finger sign for when we don’t agree please). Either hand, I am not side-ist.

MamaCaz Mon 03-Jun-19 07:33:31

?

But no one has a clue which post on the thread that symbol (or any other that I could have used) relates to, which is exactly why choosing our own symbols doesn't work as a brief response and we need a like button/thumbs up attached to individual posts!

GracesGranMK3 Mon 03-Jun-19 07:47:53

I don't see the likes as a problem. It's a sad person who sees the need to collect them surely!

The picture was from a political site. My thinking, having heard over the years that people are intimidated by politics threads, was that it was a way of showing you agree with a particular view without opening yourself up to the loud, sometimes excoriating voices.

Anyway, GNHQ has spoken and we are not going to change their opinion so, good idea or bad, it's a dead one on here.

Gonegirl Mon 03-Jun-19 10:08:37

When I asked for an emoji to show someone had had to go and get on with things (instead of carrying on posting), CariHQ came up with this one roastchicken practically instantaneously! It was as though she looked in her drawer, found it, and up it popped. It was dead easy. So it's not technically difficult.

i don't want a 'like'. Just a 'thumbs up'.

Pleeeease....

Eloethan Tue 04-Jun-19 00:13:45

A thumbs up is, in effect, a like. I believe it has been recommended that social network sites restrict the "like" comment to over 18's because there is evidence that young people become anxious if their posts do not receive enough likes.

Younger people are probably more susceptible but I still think it is not a good idea.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Jun-19 05:43:43

The research came out with results that likes did, indeed, have some effect on young people with low self-esteem. I am not really sure how you decide that makes it a bad thing for adults generally over fifty. Your argument mis-represents the research in my opinion and is poor logic but, as I said neither your opinion or my opinion count in this instance, do they.

NfkDumpling Tue 04-Jun-19 06:50:44

Thank you Gonegirl, I’d always wondered why the roastchicken! I shall use it in future. And as BradfordLass suggested sunshine or [cake] make a good ‘Like”. My vote would be for sunshine although it takes longer to type.

NfkDumpling Tue 04-Jun-19 06:50:56

roastchicken

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Jun-19 07:24:30

Just an emoticon is not the point, particularly on the politics threads. You would need it to be countable on the post to get some impression of the weight of agreement. You could just have the words "I agree" clickable in the bottom corner of each post with a count - it works elsewhere - but, we have been told, it is not going to happen.

Alima Tue 04-Jun-19 09:27:06

Even with my glasses on that particular picture looks like a steaming tu.d. (Very insensitive towards vegans, vegetarians etc).

Gonegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 09:38:57

Perhaps we could use the roast chicken as a 'like' button. Especially as NfkDumpling will now be the only one using it for its original purpose.

With apologies to all vegs amongst us of course.

POGS Tue 04-Jun-19 10:36:10

Use a thumbs up emoji by all means, why not? It's easy to do and we see it from time to time.

Just be clear which poster you are agreeing with or you could be agreeing with a poster you do not agree with because of the time line between reading and actually posting.

Sueki44 Tue 04-Jun-19 10:40:34

?

gillybob Tue 04-Jun-19 10:45:19

Well I am going to stick my neck out and say that I agree with Natasha. I really can't see the point of a "like" button or whatever. In my very humble opinion (for what its worth) it could result in little groups of people just "liking" everything each other says and making those who are not "liked" feel very left out or as though their opinion counts for nothing.

I feel much happier as it is now. if I agree with someone or disagree, why not just say so?

Just saying....

Blinko Tue 04-Jun-19 12:47:05

Must say I've never seen the roast chicken icon used... A thumbs up would be surely much more useful.

Lazigirl Tue 04-Jun-19 20:18:50

What about the vegetarians who don't want to see dead ???grin? I think symbols are fraught with problems, and probably best to write a reply, or continue with thumbs, flowers and so on as the mood takes. I really don't like the idea of "like" button, it can be cliquey enough on here.