Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Emoji

(26 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:49:43

I use the Smileys given on GN in my posts but how do I put on an Emoji? I tried my usual way when writing email etc. but it won't work in these comment boxes. Image shows how I normally do it.

Thanks

ZoeGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Sep-19 16:44:27

Hi WOODMOUSE49

The emojis that you can use on GN are below when you write a post along with what you need to write to include them. The emojis that you use in emails are different to the ones on GN but hopefully there are enough of ours for your messages smile

Bathsheba Tue 10-Sep-19 16:55:53

It works for me WOODMOUSE ? ??

BlueBelle Tue 10-Sep-19 17:04:43

Me too ♥️??

ZoeGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Sep-19 17:15:29

Ah I've just been corrected - every day is a school day! On a phone or a tablet you can add emojis like you would in an email, text message etc but we're not sure of an easy way to do this on a laptop.
If anyone has any suggestions please do share smile

Bathsheba Tue 10-Sep-19 17:19:53

I can do it on my iMac desktop - the 'emojis and symbols' are on the 'edit' drop down menu. I imagine it can be done from a Windows platform too, but I haven't tried that.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 10-Sep-19 19:13:31

I can do it on my MacBook too ? ?! Thank you, Bathsheba!

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 10-Sep-19 19:56:47

??‍♀️It's WOODMOUSE49 again ??

I use a Macbook Pro. The drop down menu (see my snapshot) when I tried today a few times, was refusing.

It's happy now. ????‍♂️? Perhaps it had a bad night's sleep.

BradfordLass72 Tue 10-Sep-19 20:56:31

I frequently see messages where someone thinks they have used a non-GN emoji successfully but all I see is a series of little empty squares.

I sometimes cut and paste them into Word to see what they really are.

Grannybags Tue 10-Sep-19 21:23:58

Just testing.......?

Ooh it worked! Thankyou ?

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 22:46:48

I can only see empty squares when people put anything other than the sites (measly few) emojis.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 10-Sep-19 23:27:06

Does anyone know why some come out as little empty squares (snapshot)?

Any way of knowing which emojis do this?

Bathsheba Wed 11-Sep-19 09:37:48

It's odd, isn't it? I can see the emojis when using any Apple products, but not on my Windows laptop. I wonder why that is?

So it's not a case of people "thinking" they have used a non-GN emoji - they have used one, but it doesn't work across all platforms.

Bathsheba Wed 11-Sep-19 09:43:31

??????

Well I've just found out how to do them on my laptop. Let's see if these appear properly...

Gonegirl Wed 11-Sep-19 09:51:17

I can't do those emojis on my desktop. But anyway, I think GN's own emojis are more suited to Gransnet.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:02:43

Bathsheba

Yes - they're OK ??

lemongrove Wed 11-Sep-19 12:09:09

I mainly use an ipad, but I know the emojis can’t be seen by everyone ( the apple ones)
We don’t have enough GN ones, why not?

Bathsheba Thu 12-Sep-19 08:53:41

I think GN's own emojis are more suited to Gransnet. Why? Do you think we old dears have to use emojis designed specifically for us? Not use the wide range of emojis everyone else uses? confused

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 16:29:27

No. The Google (?) emojis just come up so small. Gransnet ones are brighter and more positive looking somehow.

I use the other kind of emojis on Messenger and on Twitter, but I just prefer GN ones on here.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 16:31:45

Why would I think we "old dears" (!!! bloomin' cheek) need emojis specially designed for us? confused

It's a matter of aesetics.

Bathsheba Thu 12-Sep-19 17:40:31

Oh OK, it's cos they're smaller. Yeah, I get that. Wish we had more though. There's rarely one on the little GN list that expresses just what I want. Except this one confused, which I wish the other lot had (FB, twitter et al).

lemongrove Thu 12-Sep-19 18:26:42

Somebody ( who shall be nameless) on GN had an emoji designed just for them!
It was a roast chicken. I was envious at the time, and thought of asking HQ for a plate of chips emoji to go with it.

Bathsheba Thu 12-Sep-19 18:35:47

Haha yes, I remember that!

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 18:51:38

No one uses it though. hmm No one knows what it's for!

Don't believe it was specially designed. Reckon Cari just had it in her drawer and thought, "that'll do". (ie, shut her up).

Can't believe it's still there actually.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 18:52:34

"Plate of chips one"! That's a great idea. ^grin]