Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Pop-up ads for known rogue companies

(30 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 12-Jan-20 11:19:19

Dear Gransnet HQ

We have had a thread on here about rogue women's clothing companies who appear UK or US based but are in fact in China. They are a con - they are very slow, send whatever they fancy in whatever size they fancy and then (bearing no resemblance to the garment ordered) and then refuse to refund money or send return address label.

But here they are leaping out of the screen every time I log in to Gransnet. Do you have any control over this?

Thanks for listening!

grannyticktock Sun 12-Jan-20 13:48:15

I noticed what looked like very attractive items of clothing and accessories advertised on this site by a company called IrisRuby. I looked up reviews on this company, and will definitely not be buying from them. Check it out before thinking of purchasing. I wish Gransnet could do something about this, as not everyone is as wary as I am.

annsixty Sun 12-Jan-20 13:56:24

I too have seen those very attractive clothes but fortunately someone posted here on GN about the companies and social media have warned about them.
There have been some very sad stories, prom dresses etc when youngster's dreams have been shattered.
Order at your peril, HQ take note.

Luckygirl Sun 12-Jan-20 14:06:06

HQ - can you not vet companies that advertise in this way? - or is it outside your control?

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 12-Jan-20 22:54:52

Hi all, smile

Thanks for raising your concerns.

It's likely that these are Google ads, and not advertising through Gransnet. If you see any ads like this please can you let us know by emailing [email protected], and include a screenshot of where you saw the ad if possible, so we can look into this for you.

grannyticktock Tue 14-Jan-20 22:21:30

I am attempting to attach here a screenshot showing an advert for Iris Ruby. It does seem to be placed there by Google so there may not be much that you at Gransnet can do about it.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Jan-20 08:05:16

The Iris Ruby ads shouldn't be showing any more - if they are (which the screen shot suggests) do let us know - thanks

grannyticktock Wed 15-Jan-20 15:14:23

Thank you, the screen shot was yesterday, so it may well be sorted now.

grannyticktock Wed 15-Jan-20 15:17:47

Oops, spoke too soon, I moved to another page just now (15.20 Wed) and Iris Ruby was back. Tried to take a screenshot but the advert changed before I succeeded.

FlexibleFriend Wed 15-Jan-20 16:09:26

I don't get any ad's so assume my pop up blocker is working.

Luckygirl Wed 15-Jan-20 18:20:03

Thanks for trying HQ.

FlexibleFriend - could you please tell me about your pop-up blocker - I definitely want one of those!!

FlexibleFriend Wed 15-Jan-20 19:12:18

It depends what browser you use, I use google chrome but Adblock covers a fair few such as Safari, Firefox, Opera, and Microsoft Edge web browsers.

MerylStreep Wed 15-Jan-20 19:17:13

I have emailed you twice on this subject. You said you would do something about it. Since then it has got worse.

MerylStreep Wed 15-Jan-20 19:19:04

If any of you are on FB, have a look at the comments.
Mine were so scathing that I've been banned for 24hrs twice.

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 16-Jan-20 11:11:41

Hi MerylStreep, we're really trying to sort this, promise! If you've seen any ads since about 3PM yesterday, please may you post a screenshot?

M0nica Thu 16-Jan-20 11:57:46

The problem with adblockers,I used to use one, is that some sites rely on the revenue they bring and they will not let you access the site if you use an adblocker. Often this doesn't matter, but sometimes you need that particular site.

I cannot access my local papers online if I have an ad blocker.

FlexibleFriend Thu 16-Jan-20 14:53:54

Adblockers can be switched on and off and tbh I never have problems accessing anything online.

Auntieflo Fri 17-Jan-20 22:20:21

You wanted screen shots. These are from tonight

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 22:37:09

Had Damensein and Youngchic popping up this evening. Dresses and knitwear rather than shoes.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 19:03:22

They're back!!

Young Chic and another one.

MerylSteeep you got banned from Facebook*? shock
Quite an honour!

Ginny42 Wed 22-Jan-20 19:12:08

I have an ad blocker and it's worth the odd site not allowing access not to be bothered by ads. Only the Guardian newspaper will let me read online. The others all block me.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 19:16:51

I must try to download one (again).

Although I do like to read a local paper, the Independent etc online and to access other posters' links.

M0nica Wed 22-Jan-20 19:40:50

Damensein appeared briefly today. I have noticed turning up on other sites I have gone to.

MerylStreep Wed 22-Jan-20 19:50:49

Callistemon
Re getting banned from FB. I was pretty scathing and forthright in my opinions of these companies.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 21:19:08

FB should have acted and investigated them, not banned you.

But presumably these companies are a source of income for Facebook.