Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Deleting forums?

(52 Posts)
POGS Mon 10-Feb-20 17:14:11

Dear GNHQ

I know we can ' hide ' threads individually but is there any way of deleting an entire forum e.g Games, News and Politics.?

I use ' active ' when I look at GN and sometimes there are so many threads of one forum the Active list is almost taken up by one forum.

I am certainly not trying to impose any sort of governance to other posters as deleting ' hiding ' a forum such as Games would have no bearing to those who enjoy using that forum.

To have the ability to use the ' hide ' facility is good but when you have to do it time, after time, after time it is no joke and surely there is a way of ' hiding ' an entire forum rather than having to ' hide ' each and every thread which simply spring back at you in a short period of time, they never seem to go away. ?

I am not being a misery guts and I hope my request is not seen that way by other posters but surely there is a way of making this easy.

Thank you.

Marydoll Tue 11-Feb-20 12:08:05

If this website is built like most websites, it should be easy enough to add a separate tab at the top, beside the the other tabs, which is solely for games.

POGS Wed 12-Feb-20 11:36:15

I have decided to ' Report' one of my posts to see if it gets a reaction. ??

ananimous Wed 12-Feb-20 11:42:37

@Pogs I have decided to ' Report' one of my posts to see if it gets a reaction.

I knew my reply would be censored so I cut out the middleman and posted:-

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

grin

...It was deleted by GN grin

Luckylegs Wed 12-Feb-20 12:07:48

Aha! I did this the other day, such a lot of Games threads, it’s so annoying and I couldn’t understand why I had such a weird look on my page which I couldn’t get rid of! Came on here to ask advice and - voila! Of course, I hadn’t gone back onto Desktop view! Duh!

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 12-Feb-20 12:19:46

I was pleased to read that I can hide some forums.

I use a laptop and there is no ⌅ upside down V.
So went to mobile site - found it - clicked on it.

No choice to hide ! HELP confused angry

Admin - please make it easy to hide forums whether on mobile, laptop etc.

Plea aside - I wish wish there was an edit facility for my messages once posted. Even though I read through, I miss some.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 12-Feb-20 12:27:15

Having read back through some messages - I see that it is only a discussion that can be deleted.

So I'm joining in now in asking to be able to hide forums but on the desktop site too.

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 12-Feb-20 12:52:46

Hi all,

I'm afraid we don't have the functionality to hide forums yet, but if things change we will let you know!

Best wishes,
GNHQ

POGS Wed 12-Feb-20 13:20:15

Sadaf

Thank you for replying.

I am trying not to be snippy but I think perhaps GNHQ could reflect a little harder as to whether there could be a facility for it's members to ' hide ' or ' delete ' a Forum as opposed to a Thread.

To say " I'm afraid we don't have the functionality to hide forums yet, but if things change we will let you know" does not sound as though GNHQ have taken the request very seriously.

We understand ' you don't have the functionality to hide forums ' the request was to ' have the functionality ' and I am of the opinion the request is not being considered by GNHQ or the response could have been along the lines of ' Noted, we are looking into the feasibility of this request and will get back to you '.

It is not a new request by the way I regurgitated the point/request I have made in the past and other posters at the time also thought it was a good idea. cupcake

POGS Thu 13-Feb-20 13:46:06

'does not sound as though GNHQ have taken the request very seriously.'
---
I think it can be assumed that is the case, take it or leave it attitude it appears by the response, or lack of.

Should have used swear words it always get GNHQ interested. wink

Jessity Thu 13-Feb-20 14:04:00

Out of interest, has GNHQ ever responded positively to requests for minor improvements in the site?

I recall a request for a “Like” button being rejected and another for an “edit” function also being rejected but I’ve not been a member long enough to assume that every request has been refused.

Elegran Thu 13-Feb-20 14:28:45

POGS They did follow up my suggestion to add a bit to the "Meet-up" topic page, asking people to state their area in the title of their new thread. Most people seem to do so - but not all.

Elegran Thu 13-Feb-20 14:30:59

Sorry, that was for Jessity. I suppose it only meant changing one page, while adding a "like"button would mean changing a lot of pages, and adding a way to edit would need a whole new section of functionalty.

shandi6570 Thu 13-Feb-20 16:23:49

Another request, asked for more than once, is for the text made by the original poster to be highlighted each time, as Mumsnet threads. Again, we were told they would look at it, but nothing ever happened.

I do feel that we are the poor relation to Mumsnet, probably don't draw in enough advertising revenue.

POGS Fri 14-Feb-20 00:26:28

You may have a point re advertising revenue shandi.

It is certainly the case requests on ' Site Stuff ' by GN members are often given only a courteous response rather than anything substantial to deal with requests.

Site Stuff Forum you would think would be the one Forum GNHQ would check in on a daily basis as it obviously is a bridge between members and GN but it lacks a personal touch these days.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Feb-20 04:48:26

Well it annoys me that I still can’t get in The cafe and others seem to have the same problem but NOTHING at all apart from an apology and we ll look into it
The lack of response is annoying it’s like we are ignored
We were asked about a year ago for ideas of needed changes absolutely zilched was listened to or acted in
Pretty poor

mcem Fri 14-Feb-20 07:57:17

We'll soon be asked again for comments and suggestions re changes to the site.
Again there will be pages devoted to the subject with lots of comments supporting popular requests.
Again there will be a polite fobbing-off message and nothing will change.

Marydoll Fri 14-Feb-20 08:15:02

Having built a number of websites for schools, in a similar format to this one, I cannot understand, why another tab cannot be added to the top for Games, thus diverting it away from the main forums.
After all, if you have functionality to add tabs for Competitions, Food, etc, it should be easy enough to add another tab, Games.
I don't claim to be an expert, but I can envisage it in my head how to do it.
Then again, GNHQ will probably come back and tell me I'm talking rubbish!

Esspee Fri 14-Feb-20 08:24:53

Stupid games are my pet hate on gransnet too. Time this was sorted.

Marydoll Fri 14-Feb-20 09:04:52

Many people get a lot of pleasure from the games, going by the number of posts on them and GN is meant to be inclusive.
A compromise is what's needed.

Elegran Fri 14-Feb-20 12:41:46

By "sorted" what do you mean, Esspee? Segregated? Banned?

You can't ban someone from posting innocent games that many enjoy. Putting them under a different heading, along with competitions, would be a good idea. Those who like them can stiul find them, but the general list of current threads would be shorter and more easily negotiated.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Feb-20 12:49:41

Yes yes yes that’s all we need, a segregated section for games
i m not anti games I play lots on the internet but these ones are a too many and to have to sort through pages to see if someone else has already made the same answer isn’t for me but still they pile up in my ‘whats active page’
I think that was a very dismissive post sandafgransnet not really taking it on board at all

POGS Fri 14-Feb-20 15:10:16

Can I just say my OP was not about a specific Forum, Games.

My point was asking why can't we have the facility to ''' 'HIDE ' an entire Forum as opposed to having the ability which we already have to ' HIDE ' a thread which means having to ' HIDE ' copious amounts of threads instead of obviously having the facility to do so in one go.

Some posters may wish to ' HIDE ' the News and Politics thread, others Games. The Forum was never the point nor the question!

Blinko Thu 05-Mar-20 19:06:01

No response from GNHQ....

BlueBelle Thu 05-Mar-20 19:23:51

I m very disappointed with no feedback to tell us that we can now access the Cafe after weeks out of action but GN has never come back to tell us that it’s accessible if I hadn’t tried the other day I d still be outside thinking it’s not working
I must say I think the correspondence we get from GN is pretty poor unless we say ‘onesies’

POGS Thu 05-Mar-20 19:55:59

Agreed obviously.

I only managed a response from HQ on this thread because I reported my own post. ?