Gransnet forums

Site stuff

It works both ways

(45 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 13-Feb-20 17:04:07

Gransnet stops any comments or queries about a thread or a poster being genuine but when a thread is deleted by Gransnet we are never given any feedback as to why ... is it an unacceptable subject or was the user a fake trying to stir trouble surely it would be acceptable fir us to be told
A recent example is the new poster who wanted feed back about wetting yourself , (a too provocative post to answer in my opinion) but the thread has been deleted but no mention of why ? I think we should be given that information

NanaandGrampy Fri 13-Mar-20 16:59:09

That’s ok Seacliff , my post about doubting my memory over a thread I ‘thought’ I saw but was deleted got my thread promptly deleted AND a slap on the wrist !

I was told it was a thread about a thread ! And I’m sure this post may go the same way . ?

eazybee Fri 13-Mar-20 18:10:41

I asked for an explanation about the deletion this morning of the thread you mention, and received the stock reply about a thread about a thread. Why does that matter anyway?
I also asked for a notification if a thread was removed but that was ignored.
I hope the poster returns, with renewed vigour.

rafichagran Fri 13-Mar-20 19:08:45

So do I easybee

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 13-Mar-20 19:16:46

I was concerned, the last time the poster stopped posting he was in hospital.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 13-Mar-20 19:56:16

I got a slap on the wrist as well, merely enquiring about whether rufus was ok, or succumbed to the Coronavirus, I thought GN was completely out of order, what are we, children to be admonished? Ah well, whatever.

SueDonim Fri 13-Mar-20 23:50:15

I think I’ve had a thread about Alex Salmond deleted today. At least, I can’t find it. confused

Marydoll Fri 13-Mar-20 23:58:40

It's been deleted, Sue Donim

Thread deleted
Message from GNHQ: Hello, we're deleting this thread as speculation about ongoing cases can be prejudicial to legal proceedings. Thanks, GNHQ

Granny23 Sat 14-Mar-20 00:09:36

Yes SueDonim I posted on the thread just before it was deleted, pointing out that whilst it is OK to report or quote things which have been said in open court, it is an offence to post or print a comment re the statement as this could influence the Jury for which the poster and the forum or website could be prosecuted. GN HQ did state why they had deleted the thread.

SueDonim Sat 14-Mar-20 00:17:50

Thanks, Marydoll, I didn’t see that. Why has it been deleted though? In my OP I said that we must be careful not to prejudice the trial and GN have allowed other similar threads to stand such as this one. www.gransnet.com/forums/aibu/1207203-Rolf-Harris?pg=5&order=

Jane10 Sat 14-Mar-20 06:45:42

I'm another one who wondered why the thread about a missing poster was deleted. It was very sad that a 92 year housebound member was cut off from contributing. We're all adults here. Can't we make our own minds up about whether or not to read a person's post?
Re that other thread: fair enough but there's already so much in the newspapers and on TV that it wasn't surprising that people were wanting to discuss it.

fatgran57 Sat 14-Mar-20 07:26:27

I agree. I thought the thread was an excellent one with calm and measured posts from many people.

We all were polite and calm and were able to give our thoughts and opinions on the matter being discussed.

I was able to read the other side of the matter in question and respected the responses. It gave me a lot to think about.

I wonder if the moderators are young people who think that older folk need to be kept in line by censorship?

I do hope not and I still feel that the matter we were discussing was done with a very good debate from all sides.

I have not heard a thing from Rufus for some days and I do hope he is OK.

rafichagran Sat 14-Mar-20 11:19:35

Lets hope Rufus is back posting soon. I agree with jane10 and fatgran

POGS Sat 14-Mar-20 13:25:27

Thread deleted
Message from GNHQ: Hello, we're deleting this thread as speculation about ongoing cases can be prejudicial to legal proceedings. Thanks, GNHQ
--

This is my problem.

GNHQ has allowed thread after thread that has done the exact same, allowed threads to stand whilst court proceedings were taking place but never said a word.

I understand GNHQ have to be careful, due diligence and such but I am a tad uncomfortable ' of late' who/where/when there have been deletions and threads started by GNHQ.

Surely Alex Salmond can be discussed but if a post is deemed by GNHQ to cross the rubicon into being ' prejudicial to legal proceedings ' then delete that / those posts and advise those posters why. The whole thread does not need to deleted.

This is not a case of any desire to talk about Salmond on my part but I hope GNHQ will delete ALL other threads in their entirety when ' on going cases' are in court if this is the case. I think if not there may be reminders by some posters.

SueDonim Sat 14-Mar-20 14:33:19

Precisely, POGS. I didn’t say anything prejudicial in my Salmond OP and I only saw a couple of responses which didn’t seem prejudicial, either. There may have been later posts that were, but if so, I didn’t see them and why not delete just the individual post?

MerylStreep Sat 14-Mar-20 14:40:07

Maybe the powers that be thought the Alex Salmond thread was a bit too risqué for us 'oldies' ?

Jane10 Sat 14-Mar-20 14:45:23

Maybe Alex Salmond is a bit close to home for some Grans? Weinstein was in America after all and the other similar cases were in London.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 14-Mar-20 16:28:18

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify, a thread speculating about why a user has been banned is not in the spirit of Gransnet and, as we're sure you'll understand, we can't comment on individual users' circumstances.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 14-Mar-20 16:33:48

I wasn’t asking about why rufus was banned, didn’t know he had been! Merely enquiring after his health, and worse case scenario, was he dead possibly due to Coronavirus, however as I said up thread, whatever. Do hope you are ok rufus!

rafichagran Sat 14-Mar-20 18:11:22

Exactly Nannylovesshopping I have to confess I felt the same as you.