Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Is it really impossible to leave Gransnet offcially?

(233 Posts)
jura2 Mon 09-Mar-20 19:01:09

Are we trapped for ever and ever? I know it is simple not to log in and not to post- but I would prefer to have my account deleted- so I am not tempted to look in and comment. Surely it is against Human Rights to not be allowed to request to be deleted.

Cunco Mon 09-Mar-20 19:47:01

jura2 When I left, I had no intention of returning. I tired of the insults and, since there was a link to my real identity, I closed the account. As a result of leaving, everything was deleted.

I did not return for maybe two years. In any case, it was a considerable period. I was unaware of any rule not to return; and I can see no reason why Gransnet would want to banish me. If you wish to report me and Gransnet closes my account, so be it. It's their bat and ball.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Mar-20 19:47:14

firecracker unnecessary
jura why? you always seem a reasonable poster well unless
I ve missed something (I usually seem ten steps behind) why not just ignore anyone making snide remarks of course I don’t know why you want to leave but I think it’s a shame when anyone feels they need to leave unless it’s life’s just got too busy
I hope you re ok

ananimous Mon 09-Mar-20 19:47:50

Bye Jura, for now ;) You know you will be back despite your higher moral code.

Eglantine21 Mon 09-Mar-20 19:49:11

Reply twelve tells you how. Why are you still here?

lemongrove Mon 09-Mar-20 19:49:39

Cunco glad you returned.
It’s easy to leave and delete your account if you want to.
No need to create a big thread about it.

ananimous Mon 09-Mar-20 19:50:24

Hotel California...

lemongrove Mon 09-Mar-20 19:51:03

There is no reason you cannot create another name Cunco
And many do exactly that.

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 19:55:56

I think there is a difference between choosing to leave GN for personal reasons and perhaps changing your mind later, then returning under another name, as opposed to being banned and coming back under another name.

Coming back under another name, after being banned, is where there is a trust issue.

Cunco Mon 09-Mar-20 19:57:09

lemongrove Thanks for your kind comments. ? Just to be clear, I wasn't banished. I went of my own accord. If I had been banished, I would have walked into the sunset and never returned....

BlueBelle Mon 09-Mar-20 19:58:58

Just to add I ve no idea who has changed their names Whose gone and come back as someone else I must be a very simplistic poster

Chewbacca Mon 09-Mar-20 20:01:03

Nor me BlueBelle. I only know of 2 and I know that they changed names when there was a security problem a couple of years ago, no other reason.

MawB Mon 09-Mar-20 20:04:37

Follow these three steps, it is perfectly easy.
When you get to the third page you have the option to permanently delete your account.

SirChenjin Mon 09-Mar-20 20:07:29

Don’t be daft jura - stay! smile

MawB Mon 09-Mar-20 20:07:42

Alternatively just email /contact GNHQ and tell them.
I don’t think your Human Rights are in any danger or that you need to appeal to the ECHR.

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 20:08:39

I don't think there are many who come back, but if you have a definitive posting style, it is difficult to change your style when you post under a different user name. That's how people are sometimes found out.

I know of one poster who came back after being banned, wrote a PM, saying who she really was to another poster, but inadvertently posted the PM on a thread, identifying herself for all of the GN community to see!

Cherrytree59 Mon 09-Mar-20 20:16:58

Jura if willpower is the issue, what is to stop you at a later date, in a moment of weakness googling Gransnet and lurking.

Even if GN erase you from their files
Your previous posts still be on t'internet.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Mar-20 20:19:03

?? I d need something that foolproof Marydoll I think
I m just very unobservant or maybe my memory doesn’t move fast enough haha

MerylStreep Mon 09-Mar-20 20:23:03

I had a name change caused by a tech glitch. GN said they could put it right but to be honest i would rather tick pins in my eyes than sort tech glitches ?

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 20:23:42

BlueBelle, You are not planning on being banned are you? wink

Eglantine21 Mon 09-Mar-20 20:25:33

I’ve been Eglantine19, 20 and 21 because of glitches.

To be honest I rather liked being E19 as one poster dubbed me.

It sounded so cool......

POGS Mon 09-Mar-20 20:29:31

Jura

Surely you have joined /re joined GN 3 times and subsequently left 2 times, 3 if you leave again.

Or am I mistaken?

To be absolute fair to you when you have returned you kept your original Username adding 1 & 2 and you deserve credit for that.

When you have left before are you saying that you never requested for your account to be deleted in it's entireity and you chose to keep it open to be able to return using another Username?

Now however you presumably want to leave GN and never return and want GN to block any return from your IP address etc., GN to ensure you will not be accepted as a member again but are of the opinion this cannot be done, hence you feel trapped.

You raise an interesting point by the way as I don't know the answer and hope I get to know.

Chewbacca Mon 09-Mar-20 20:34:37

POGS if that's the case, would jura have to do something really heinous; get banned and then that would be it? Out forever?

MerylStreep Mon 09-Mar-20 20:34:41

Am I the only one who's amazed that someone could be so bored that they resort to GN?

ananimous Mon 09-Mar-20 20:53:40

OMG you really are priceless! ? ?

EllanVannin Mon 09-Mar-20 21:00:15

You can delete/uninstall programmes via your PC.