Gransnet forums

Site stuff

An important message for all posters

(46 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 28-Mar-20 11:13:39

(We have posted something similar on a thread, but wanted to make this visible for all)

A plea from (virtual) HQ. We totally understand that tensions are heightened. That we are all stressed and worried and that these are hugely unsettling and difficult times. But it's more important than ever to try to be kind and supportive of each other. This absolutely doesn't mean we all have to agree with one another - of course - but unnecessary needling etc is really not a good way forward for any of us right now, particularly when so many of us are dealing with things that are really tough.

Whether you are a new member (welcome) or someone who has been with us for a long time (<waving>) this applies to all. It's essential that the site is a place where everyone feels welcome and no one feels nervous to post. Please do bear this in mind when posting.

Thank you

dizzyblonde Sat 28-Mar-20 20:15:41

drchatterjee.com/how-being-kind-helps-your-immune-system-reduces-stress-and-changes-lives-with-dr-david-hamilton/
As I started a thread a few days ago, there is a lot of research about how being kind and also receiving acts of kindness supports our immune systems. Surely this is even more important in these challenging times?
I now read unpleasant unkind posters comments and think, well your immune system must be a bit fragile if you behave like this in real life.

Lolo81 Sun 29-Mar-20 02:15:03

I commented on the removed post about smokers and COVID which escalated very very quickly. I was genuinely concerned about the mental health of the poster as my reading of the tirade was that she was someone who was lashing out for attention.

I must emphasise that I did not support her viewpoint, but if she is a genuine person and not just trolling us I have a real concern for her welfare, especially given the isolation we are all feeling just now being stuck at home.

I’m fairly new here, and not too sure how it all works, but could an admin let me know if there is a way to check on that poster?

BlueBelle Sun 29-Mar-20 07:18:21

Although I come on here every day I always seem to miss these confrontational posts so I m totally in the dark as to what’s been going on (as usual) but I agree with others now more than ever it’s a time to care and support We are in horrible times we can all fall to pieces at any moment and a kind or thoughtful post can make all the difference

Curlywhirly Sun 29-Mar-20 08:30:42

Totally agree Bluebelle

Jane10 Sun 29-Mar-20 08:43:57

Me too BlueBelle.

Lins1066 Sun 29-Mar-20 08:52:17

I couldn't agree more BlueBelle, well said.
You too CherryCezzy.
Annie ??

Greymar Sun 29-Mar-20 09:23:47

This site to my mind allows a free flow of conversation. Great, if you want to share recipes, anecdotes and so on. If you prefer to have a stab at politics, go ahead.

Lolo, you ask a good question, how do we know if people are safe? Also anger and pointscoring may be masking something else.
I have asked for a messaging facility which could be staffed by possibly those with counselling experience. I have asked for useful numbers to be pinned.
I'm sorry but this site must generate income, millions?

Smileless2012 Sun 29-Mar-20 10:46:10

You're right Bluebell I had to turn the TV off this morning when Andrew Marr was interviewing the shadow Health Minister (I think that's who it was). He came across as so negative about the present Government that I started to cry!![bush]

My first wobble since last weekend.

Chewbacca Sun 29-Mar-20 17:21:13

Know what you mean Smileless; I've felt a bit wobbly today too.

Trisha57 Sun 29-Mar-20 17:39:46

I generally find this site very helpful, and can see that there are some wonderfully supportive people contributing. What I don't get is that some threads (and I admit it, one of them was mine) which are posted with a "tongue in cheek" comment are deleted whereas others which describe people with tattoos as "scummy" or contain bad language IN CAPITAL LETTERS are left alone. Can someone explain, please as I genuinely didn't mean to offend anyone and feel very guilty at the moment on top of all the stress that this horrible situation is causing.

Trisha57 Sun 29-Mar-20 17:57:24

Sorry, meant to write "genuinely", not "generally". blush

Smileless2012 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:02:29

It's strange how it affects you isn't it Chewbacca. Hope you're over your wobble ans I'm over mineflowers.

Don't add to your stress by feeling guilty Trisha. There's an enormous difference between posting a tongue in cheek comment that inadvertently causes offence, and making posts of a personal nature that are posted with the intention of upsetting someone.

janeainsworth Sun 29-Mar-20 22:52:30

Trisha. I saw your thread which was deleted.
It wasn’t obvious at all that it was tongue in cheek. I and others who responded clearly took it at face value. It sounded like an unpleasant dig at perceived left-wing posters.
You may have spoken in jest, but there are some on Gransnet who would have used the same words in all seriousness.

sodapop Mon 30-Mar-20 09:24:22

Therein lies the problem quite often. We write something down which sounds one way in our head but the person reading it hears it a different way in their head. Sometimes I have to read a post more than once to ensure I understand.
Of course then there are the easily offended .........

janeainsworth Mon 30-Mar-20 09:49:14

I’m not easily offended sodapop but there are some things I disagree with, or I just don’t like.
I didn’t report the post, by the way.

sodapop Mon 30-Mar-20 17:20:12

I didn't mean you janeainsworth sorry that was just a general comment.

janeainsworth Mon 30-Mar-20 17:42:25

No worries sodapop smile
No offence taken grin

Lucca Tue 31-Mar-20 07:34:11

Trisha57. I didn’t report your thread either because thankfully it disappeared before I had time. Yet I still don’t understand how using an expression like “bleeding heart liberals”. could possibly be classed as “tongue in cheek”

Rosina Tue 31-Mar-20 13:46:46

This site performs such an excellent service, and never more so than now. Sadly there are some who court controversy, and enjoy being spiteful or trying to provoke. I'm sure we all know a few names, and in fact on a recent thread about Harry and Meghan, one of the nastier posters actually admitted to doing just that, to 'defend' Meghan. Quite how vicious and unpleasant posting was achieving an uneeded defence I failed to see, but the simple answer is surely to ignore the posts completely. Like the spoilt child - remove the audience and there is no point to the drama. We need to keep our spirits up right now - I try to be positive but have the odd wobble, and I am luckily not alone in my home. Gransnet unfailingly lifts my heart, and nobody should feel afraid to post. Here I go wtih some capital letters, but for a good cause: PEOPLE HAVE ONLY THE POWER THAT YOU GIVE THEM'. Let's hold on to that - and each other! Stay safe, everyone. xx

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:24:19

Great post Rosinasmile