Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Thanks a bunch

(31 Posts)
MawB Tue 30-Jun-20 12:57:51

This may not last long but while it dies, I earlier started a thread about the threat of a new pig- related flu virus which risked being another major epidemic or pandemic.
Well thanks to some unpleasant racist comments about China and all things Chinese, the entire thread has been deleted.
This was not my intention and I had hoped for some discussion about perhaps learning from the present pandemic, about future planning, about coping with advance warning, but no, thanks to a few people this has now been strangled at birth.
Well done ???

Urmstongran Wed 01-Jul-20 21:29:38

Apologies. Pressed ‘send’ too soon.

… I felt the topic made me feel a bit scared and I thought ‘oh no, not another one’ in my ‘Brenda from Bristol’ voice.

But today’s Telegraph had a short article that reassured me somewhat. It’s behind a paywall so I’ve C&P for those who, like me, felt anxious yesterday!

‘Potential pandemic
Our Foreign Staff

A FLU virus found in Chinese pigs has become more infectious to humans and needs to be watched closely in case it becomes a potential “pandemic virus”, a study said, although experts insisted there is no imminent threat.

A team of Chinese researchers looked at influenza viruses found in pigs from 2011 to 2018 and found a G4 strain of H1N1 that had “all the essential hallmarks of a candidate pandemic virus”, according to the paper, published by the US journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Pig farm workers also showed elevated levels of the virus in their blood, the authors said. The World Health Organisation will read the study carefully, spokesman Christian Lindmeier told a Geneva briefing yesterday.

While the virus is capable of infecting humans, there is no imminent risk of a new pandemic, said Carl Bergstrom, a biologist at the University of Washington. “There’s no evidence G4 is circulating in humans, despite five years of extensive exposure,” he said.’

Urmstongran Wed 01-Jul-20 21:30:59

Haha lemongrove ?
You are very witty and that made me chuckle. In fact it’s better than what I posted in the end!

Namsnanny Thu 02-Jul-20 20:47:37

Thanks for that Urmstongran all information gratefully received.

MerylStreep Thu 02-Jul-20 21:04:26

If anyone is seriously interested in how this virus came about and how the whole world has to change its attitude towards where our food comes from and how it's produced, listen to Science Today, Radio 4 this afternoon.
Without a doubt this situation is going to happen again...... and again.

midgey Thu 02-Jul-20 21:08:39

I have read somewhere that scientists are expecting a pandemic, and Covid isn’t it! A very scary prospect!