Gransnet forums

Site stuff

pop up consent form today

(34 Posts)
Oopsadaisy3 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:16:26

Dear GN
I had a pop up on my screen today, I did not want to consent to any of your headings, but I wasn’t given an option on some of them, so I reluctantly pressed the Consent button.
Can you tell me why we weren’t warned about this and why we had to consent to get onto the GN site today .
this is also on the AIBU thread.

EDIT by GNHQ: Please see more info on the new consent form here

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 15:41:33

Hi all,

We're checking with our tech team now and will get back to you asap with some answers.

Just as an aside, we don't tend to read every post so if there's something that you'd like us to take a look at in future, please do report it to us so we don't miss anything. Thanks smile

MadeInYorkshire Fri 14-Aug-20 15:42:08

I just thought it was the usual 'cookies' thing too FarNorth, idiot that I am about all things techy!

So what in effect does it mean anyone?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 15:58:48

Please see more info on the new consent form here

JackyB Fri 14-Aug-20 16:19:27

I clicked "Consent" without reading anything as I thought it was the usual Cookies Window but just in a different colour. Then I wanted to see if I could change any of the settings and take a closer look. So I went to "My Gransnet" but was asked to log in. confused I am logged in! Otherwise how could I be posting this?

Elegran Fri 14-Aug-20 16:28:55

It says on the "Privacy Policy" that at the bottom right of that page there is a toggle button to go somewhere to change options. There isn't.

It also says that in "My Gransnet" "Settings" you can change all your cookie options. You can't.

I don't see anywhere that anyone can change their choices once they have consented. It seems that there is no going back and checking that you chose the right thing and changing it if you find you made a mistake. I suppose a way may be in the pipeline, but it should have been inserted BEFORE we received the ultimatum to choose now or forever hold our peace and the thread that tells us about the New Consent Form. www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/1283272-New-consent-form

Chewbacca Fri 14-Aug-20 16:42:25

Interesting that GNHQ managed to get these changes out so quickly that they didn't have time to tell us about it but they've been dithering over whether they can create a new forum for Sexism & Equality for the past few months and still havent sorted out highlighting an OPs post on each thread hmm.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Aug-20 16:44:56

I didn’t consent but still got on ok
I ticked no to them all

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 17:46:30

Hi, us again. If you keep an eye on this thread we'll post there with any updates (just to keep having to post an different threads).
In response to your post chewbacca yes, prioritising users' privacy choices as dictated by the IAB came above a new forum topic we're afraid. wink