Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New consent form - UPDATE: Link to FAQs here

(109 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 15:55:12

Hi all,

As of this afternoon many of you will have noticed a new consent form pop up. Apologies for the late notice - we'd hoped to get a post up earlier to give you advance warning but our resources were focused on getting it up and running as quickly and efficiently as possible.

As a responsible publisher we follow the recommendations of the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB UK) - here's a bit more information about them.

The IAB asks that we allow users to say if you consent to your data being used or not. We've been doing this for quite a while now and this is the pop-up you would have previously seen when you came to Gransnet.

What's happened is that as of tomorrow the IAB is brining in a new standard that publishers have to comply with. The new standard gives the user even more choice over the data that can be collected and used - which is why you are now seeing a new pop-up with far more privacy options.
Whilst it may look a bit OTT it's actually been designed by the IAB to make it better for users and give you more control.

So please don't be worried about this new pop-up - it will in fact give you more information and choice over your privacy.

Hope this helps smile
GNHQ

UPDATE: FAQs page here

Elegran Wed 19-Aug-20 23:02:44

No, Nana3 It is in English, and has been written to make sense, but you do have to read it a bit at a time, and alter your settings one by one to what you want them to be.

If you don't want to do it yourself, or don't think you are up to doing it, take your device to a computer shop and ask their advice.The reputable ones will set the options for you and talk to you about just how much protection will cover your needs.

They might charge you something for the work - but if you got someone in to fix a lock on your back door that wasn't working properly, you would expect to pay something for that, wouldn't you?

Nana3 Wed 19-Aug-20 22:17:33

Google gobbledygook.

Elegran Tue 18-Aug-20 11:44:37

Controlling your privacy settings on Google to cover ALL the places where their marketing etc reaches.
policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en-GB&fg=1#infochoices

Elegran Tue 18-Aug-20 08:40:35

Legitimate Interests definition - I found this. Below I quote from a talk given at a GDPR summit in London. Sorry it is rather long, but it is very readable and sets out the position. The whole article is at gdpr.report/news/2018/04/30/consent-versus-legitimate-interests/

"Under GDPR there are six lawful bases for processing personal data. But for marketing purposes, the two most popular are consent and legitimate interests.

For consent, the individual must have given clear consent.

For legitimate interests, processing must be necessary for your legitimate interest or your customers.

Consent must be:

freely given
specific
informed and unambiguous
unbundled
granular
named
documented
and easy to withdraw.

Julia says that consent has become something of an obsession, and is seen by many as a kind of gold standard. But under GDPR, no lawful basis is more important than any other.

So what are the pros and cons of consent?

Pros:

Unambiguous,
easier to implement,
perceived as a gold standard.

Cons

It’s a one-off opportunity, if you ask for consent and it is not given, there is nowhere to go, it’s sudden death.
Response rates will be depressed relative to legitimate risks interests as opt-in is required.

Legitimate interests

She gave as examples of legitimate interests:

Fraud detection and prevention
Compliance with foreign law
Industry watch lists and self- regulatory schemes
Information, system, network and cyber security
Employment data processing
General Corporate Operations and due diligence
Product development and enhancement
Communications and marketing.

It is that last point on the above list that surprises many.

GDPR is clear, Recital 47 states it in black and white: “The processing of personal data for direct marketing purposes may be regarded as carried out for a legitimate interest.”

Complexity is added by a different regulation – PECR. This requires that in most cases people have to give consent to receive emails, but there is a line that refers to soft-in. So if you have collected someone’s email in the course of doing business, and there is an opt-out option, you can send them emails, subject of course to various requirements under PECR, including strict rules on providing opt-out opportunities for the recipient of an email.

So, what are the pros and cons of legitimate interests?

Pros:

Flexible and not purpose specific
long term security over processing of data
risk based approach to compliance:

Cons:

To justify legitimate interests, it is harder to demonstrate compliance,
It means you take on more responsibility for protecting the interests of individuals.

Julia reminded delegates that GDPR is about lawfully, fairly and transparently processing customer’s data.

She referred to an IPSOS poll that found 69 percent of people distrust advertising. But with digital display, click through rates are just 0.05 to 0.1 percent. So the size of a database less important than its quality. And building trust is crucial. So applying GDPR principles is not just a case of something you have to do because it’s law, it is something you have to do because it’s vital to marketing success."

Elegran Tue 18-Aug-20 08:12:21

Rufus has posted a link on the thread "Google, be very aware" to a very interesting article which contains instructions on how to delete private data harvested by Google Thank you, Rufus
www.cnet.com/how-to/google-collects-a-frightening-amount-of-data-about-you-you-can-find-and-delete-it-now/

Elegran Tue 18-Aug-20 07:50:48

Perhaps you could tell Google that your members are threatening to leave the site if they are not given a form which they can rely on to stay as they saved it, so unless they fix it YOU will be leaving their advertising scheme, as it will reduce your attractiveness to users and your traffic flow.

Since Gransnet is a VERY popular site, losing a large section of your traffic would have a very big effect on the results of Google's ad placement anyway, even when they are using this underhand back-door method of getting them under our noses. They would do better to keep our goodwill.

B9exchange Mon 17-Aug-20 23:54:46

Perhaps you could remove the form and revert to the old one until you have got it sorted?

B9exchange Mon 17-Aug-20 23:53:45

From your FAQ

^Why, when I toggle each button to grey and then submit my choices, are they completely ignored? Each time I look at my privacy settings my choices have disappeared.

The software that displays the pop-up is provided by Google, this isn’t something that we can change. We can see that your choices are being recorded after you have clicked save, however it looks like when you go back into the form the choices are being reset to the default options. We have reported this to Google.^

This seems such a basic error, I am not reassured by the fact that you have emailed Google, I hope you are not just going to leave it at that. I haven't met this problem on any other site.

Nana3 Mon 17-Aug-20 20:03:37

Maybe we should all disappear from gransnet for a while until they make us feel safe again .

Bathsheba Mon 17-Aug-20 19:31:10

Elegran

I think the legitimate interest ones are ungreyable. They ought not to be presented as though they are options.

Exactly so Elegran. Why present something as a choice when in fact it isn't?

Elegran Mon 17-Aug-20 18:16:04

I think the legitimate interest ones are ungreyable. They ought not to be presented as though they are options.

Pantglas2 Mon 17-Aug-20 18:14:19

Nothing’s changed folks. I just spent 10 minutes greying every darn thing and submitting it to find on checking they’ve all been blued again!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 17-Aug-20 13:55:45

For those of you who are still concerned or would like more answers we've put together a page answering all of your questions here: FAQs re the new consent form.
GNHQ smile

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 17-Aug-20 13:39:43

'Legitimate interest' has to do with the GDPR rules, and we agree it is confusing. When a company wants to process your data, they either need to ask you for consent or they can declare they have a ‘legitimate interest’ to process the data. This means they have a good reason as to why they do not need to ask for consent. For example, when someone posts to the site, we record the poster's IP address. We do this under ‘legitimate interest’ as we need to keep a record of posters' IP addresses so we can police malicious posters. Each company that declares a legitimate interest in processing your data will explain why in their privacy policy. You can find out more about legitimate interest here.

Chewbacca Mon 17-Aug-20 11:51:29

Exactly this JenniferEccles; and I'd like to know what legitimate interest is and who decides it. I've repeatedly slid them all to grey and they repeatedly slide back to blue.

JenniferEccles Mon 17-Aug-20 11:29:19

I think what everyone wants to know is how we can permanently change the ‘legitimate interest’ ones to grey?

The fact that the option is there surely indicates that we have a choice?

Is that correct?

Marydoll Mon 17-Aug-20 11:17:00

Now that I've logged in and consented on all my devices, I haven't had to accept again. I have done random checks and all are grey, apart from the legitimate interest ones, which have reverted to blue.

Elegran Mon 17-Aug-20 11:10:38

One of the problems is the sheer persistence of the consent form. Having to accept/decline each time we log in is very wearing! Surely once we have filled in the form our status could go on our profile and stay there?

Luckylegs Mon 17-Aug-20 11:09:04

I didn’t think I was thick but I don’t understand all this at all. When it first popped up, I just automatically clicked on consent before I realised all the ramifications and hoo ha that was going on. How do I rescind this now? I certainly don’t want to give carte blanche to anyone to look at all my appliances (not right word but I can’t think of correct one) and feel very nervous about what I’ve given permission to.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 17-Aug-20 11:01:19

Morning all. We've made a note of all your questions and concerns and are our tech team are looking at them now and we'll get a FAQ page up shortly which will hopefully help.

What we did want to stress is that there is very little difference from this new cookie consent form compared to the one you saw previously that has been on the site for over a year. In fact, this new one allows you more options.

Regarding cookies, some are necessary to make the site work, some are optional and you will be able to select which you accept. We agree that the layout and wording on the new form is a little confusing but much of that is unfortunately out of our hands has been dictated by IAB and Google.

At the end of the day this update is to give you the user more control and we understand that privacy is important to you. We wanted to be clear that this update is in response to new best practice guidelines, and not an attempt by us to get more information out of you. Again, the options presented and the words used to explain those options are not something we are in control of - this is the standard mandated by the IAB - and we agree it's confusing! We'll post again soon with a link to our FAQs page but wanted to reassure you in the meantime. smile

NotSpaghetti Mon 17-Aug-20 10:46:23

Lara, you say that you HAVE to do much of it this way -

a lot of that is dictated by the IAB so is out of our hands

If that is really true, why is it that Gransnet is the ONLY website where I have to move around 40 sliders to "opt out"???

Even on the IAB's own website they have ONE opt out button!
www.iabuk.com/

Marydoll Mon 17-Aug-20 09:44:33

I understand exactly what you are saying Charleygirl, Nowadays it's wrongly assumed that everyone is at ease with technology.

When I started sheilding, I was contacted by my LA asking if I needed support to access online shopping and prescriptions.
I said I was fine, but asked what happens to people who have no access to the internet nor are not computer literate. An example would be sheilding updates to your phone. What if you don't have a smart phone?
The officer said it was a great concern that vulnerable people were slipping through the net, due to a reliance on technology.

I was complaining to my bank this morning about this reliance on all things digital after a large payment went missing.
I was able to check certain things electronically, before contacting them.
It turns out security systems were being updated, just as I was making the payment!! ?
How does someone go about sorting it, if they have no expertise? But that's for another thread.

I do love using technology and am computer literate, but not for banking.

I hope GNHQ takes notice of people who are not au fait with this request to update permissions and gives a CLEAR and SIMPLE explanation.
The thing about techies (my son is one) is that they thing everyone understands Computerspeak.

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Aug-20 09:27:42

Marydoll for somebody like myself who lives alone and is not computer literate I find it is all beyond me. Luckily I have an excellent ad blocker which helps.

Marydoll Mon 17-Aug-20 09:23:57

If you clear all cookies, you can still access your bank and other sites, you just lose saved passwords.

It's good practice anyway, to clear your cookies regularly.

Elegran Mon 17-Aug-20 09:20:52

You can label which cookies are to be protected and kept, the options are somewhere in your browser settings.