Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New consent form - UPDATE: Link to FAQs here

(109 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 15:55:12

Hi all,

As of this afternoon many of you will have noticed a new consent form pop up. Apologies for the late notice - we'd hoped to get a post up earlier to give you advance warning but our resources were focused on getting it up and running as quickly and efficiently as possible.

As a responsible publisher we follow the recommendations of the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB UK) - here's a bit more information about them.

The IAB asks that we allow users to say if you consent to your data being used or not. We've been doing this for quite a while now and this is the pop-up you would have previously seen when you came to Gransnet.

What's happened is that as of tomorrow the IAB is brining in a new standard that publishers have to comply with. The new standard gives the user even more choice over the data that can be collected and used - which is why you are now seeing a new pop-up with far more privacy options.
Whilst it may look a bit OTT it's actually been designed by the IAB to make it better for users and give you more control.

So please don't be worried about this new pop-up - it will in fact give you more information and choice over your privacy.

Hope this helps smile
GNHQ

UPDATE: FAQs page here

LadyO Sun 16-Aug-20 09:41:17

It’s putting me off even opening Gransnet now... how tedious... how many more times do I have to fill in the blooming form?

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 16-Aug-20 10:19:18

Hi all,

We're really sorry for any concern that this is causing.
We need to talk with our tech staff, so we'll get back to you tomorrow with more information (and to answer your questions). Please do bear with us.

Nana3 Sun 16-Aug-20 11:50:38

My tablet is not feeling like a safe place at all. I made some changes after following this thread and it's probably made things worse. When you're not tech savvy the language used on instructions of how to stop data being stored etc is not accessible and who knows what happens and who has access to your data, criminals no doubt.

Puzzler61 Sun 16-Aug-20 12:22:59

Thank You Lily.

ladymuck Sun 16-Aug-20 13:53:14

Nana3...if you go to 'settings' then apps and storage....you should be able to clear everything on your device. I've been doing that more and more recently.

Nana3 Sun 16-Aug-20 19:02:05

Thanks ladymuck, I'll give it a try."

ladymuck Mon 17-Aug-20 06:51:37

Gosh I'm slow.! I've only just realised what they are doing. When you give permission for them to put cookies on your device, they are also putting cookies on all other devices which use the same router. This means other members of your household will be tracked too.
I really don't think this should be allowed.

Auntieflo Mon 17-Aug-20 09:00:36

If you clear all cookies, will you not then be able to access things like your bank?

Elegran Mon 17-Aug-20 09:20:52

You can label which cookies are to be protected and kept, the options are somewhere in your browser settings.

Marydoll Mon 17-Aug-20 09:23:57

If you clear all cookies, you can still access your bank and other sites, you just lose saved passwords.

It's good practice anyway, to clear your cookies regularly.

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Aug-20 09:27:42

Marydoll for somebody like myself who lives alone and is not computer literate I find it is all beyond me. Luckily I have an excellent ad blocker which helps.

Marydoll Mon 17-Aug-20 09:44:33

I understand exactly what you are saying Charleygirl, Nowadays it's wrongly assumed that everyone is at ease with technology.

When I started sheilding, I was contacted by my LA asking if I needed support to access online shopping and prescriptions.
I said I was fine, but asked what happens to people who have no access to the internet nor are not computer literate. An example would be sheilding updates to your phone. What if you don't have a smart phone?
The officer said it was a great concern that vulnerable people were slipping through the net, due to a reliance on technology.

I was complaining to my bank this morning about this reliance on all things digital after a large payment went missing.
I was able to check certain things electronically, before contacting them.
It turns out security systems were being updated, just as I was making the payment!! ?
How does someone go about sorting it, if they have no expertise? But that's for another thread.

I do love using technology and am computer literate, but not for banking.

I hope GNHQ takes notice of people who are not au fait with this request to update permissions and gives a CLEAR and SIMPLE explanation.
The thing about techies (my son is one) is that they thing everyone understands Computerspeak.

NotSpaghetti Mon 17-Aug-20 10:46:23

Lara, you say that you HAVE to do much of it this way -

a lot of that is dictated by the IAB so is out of our hands

If that is really true, why is it that Gransnet is the ONLY website where I have to move around 40 sliders to "opt out"???

Even on the IAB's own website they have ONE opt out button!
www.iabuk.com/

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 17-Aug-20 11:01:19

Morning all. We've made a note of all your questions and concerns and are our tech team are looking at them now and we'll get a FAQ page up shortly which will hopefully help.

What we did want to stress is that there is very little difference from this new cookie consent form compared to the one you saw previously that has been on the site for over a year. In fact, this new one allows you more options.

Regarding cookies, some are necessary to make the site work, some are optional and you will be able to select which you accept. We agree that the layout and wording on the new form is a little confusing but much of that is unfortunately out of our hands has been dictated by IAB and Google.

At the end of the day this update is to give you the user more control and we understand that privacy is important to you. We wanted to be clear that this update is in response to new best practice guidelines, and not an attempt by us to get more information out of you. Again, the options presented and the words used to explain those options are not something we are in control of - this is the standard mandated by the IAB - and we agree it's confusing! We'll post again soon with a link to our FAQs page but wanted to reassure you in the meantime. smile

Luckylegs Mon 17-Aug-20 11:09:04

I didn’t think I was thick but I don’t understand all this at all. When it first popped up, I just automatically clicked on consent before I realised all the ramifications and hoo ha that was going on. How do I rescind this now? I certainly don’t want to give carte blanche to anyone to look at all my appliances (not right word but I can’t think of correct one) and feel very nervous about what I’ve given permission to.

Elegran Mon 17-Aug-20 11:10:38

One of the problems is the sheer persistence of the consent form. Having to accept/decline each time we log in is very wearing! Surely once we have filled in the form our status could go on our profile and stay there?

Marydoll Mon 17-Aug-20 11:17:00

Now that I've logged in and consented on all my devices, I haven't had to accept again. I have done random checks and all are grey, apart from the legitimate interest ones, which have reverted to blue.

JenniferEccles Mon 17-Aug-20 11:29:19

I think what everyone wants to know is how we can permanently change the ‘legitimate interest’ ones to grey?

The fact that the option is there surely indicates that we have a choice?

Is that correct?

Chewbacca Mon 17-Aug-20 11:51:29

Exactly this JenniferEccles; and I'd like to know what legitimate interest is and who decides it. I've repeatedly slid them all to grey and they repeatedly slide back to blue.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 17-Aug-20 13:39:43

'Legitimate interest' has to do with the GDPR rules, and we agree it is confusing. When a company wants to process your data, they either need to ask you for consent or they can declare they have a ‘legitimate interest’ to process the data. This means they have a good reason as to why they do not need to ask for consent. For example, when someone posts to the site, we record the poster's IP address. We do this under ‘legitimate interest’ as we need to keep a record of posters' IP addresses so we can police malicious posters. Each company that declares a legitimate interest in processing your data will explain why in their privacy policy. You can find out more about legitimate interest here.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 17-Aug-20 13:55:45

For those of you who are still concerned or would like more answers we've put together a page answering all of your questions here: FAQs re the new consent form.
GNHQ smile

Pantglas2 Mon 17-Aug-20 18:14:19

Nothing’s changed folks. I just spent 10 minutes greying every darn thing and submitting it to find on checking they’ve all been blued again!

Elegran Mon 17-Aug-20 18:16:04

I think the legitimate interest ones are ungreyable. They ought not to be presented as though they are options.

Bathsheba Mon 17-Aug-20 19:31:10

Elegran

I think the legitimate interest ones are ungreyable. They ought not to be presented as though they are options.

Exactly so Elegran. Why present something as a choice when in fact it isn't?

Nana3 Mon 17-Aug-20 20:03:37

Maybe we should all disappear from gransnet for a while until they make us feel safe again .