Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Clarity in titles for posts......please.

(38 Posts)
Atqui Sat 26-Sep-20 20:34:42

Does anyone else find it a bit irritating that some posters put obscure titles on their posts/ threads? I won’t quote any as that would be pointing the finger and writing a thread about a thread which is verboten I believe. I often scroll down the active titles, click on one thinking “ I wonder what that’s about” only to find I’m not interested in it . I then have to go back to the top of the list to find one I’d like to read.

Parsley3 Sun 27-Sep-20 10:19:36

I think you might just have to live with it, Atqui. I never know what thread I will be interested in until I read the posts. Sometimes the title has little to do with how the conversations develop if the thread runs to several pages.

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Sep-20 10:20:11

I thought that the entire point of this type of thing was to waste time!

Chewbacca Sun 27-Sep-20 10:28:01

How many seconds does it take to click on a thread, see what the main subject matter is and decide if you're interested in it or not? 5? 10? Even 30? Are you living such a time pressurised life? Personally, I like seeing a cryptic thread title; it makes me curious. If, after seeing the full subject matter I find it's not of interest to me, I leave it. 30 seconds max wasted! grin

Ellianne Sun 27-Sep-20 10:30:35

Atqui

Where did you meet *Ellianne•?

On the seafront of a coastal town Atqui until it got drizzly and then we sat, socially distanced, in the shelter and watched the dogs playing on the beach. Each brought our own flasks and I made individual cream teas with jam and cream in little pots so no one was sharing. (I am always one for finding ways to continue my life, with care).

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Sep-20 10:33:30

It's supposed to be 'chatty' -spontaneous, evolving.
How would you like to enforce 'clarity' Atqui?
Do posters get a ticking off for being vague or obtuse?

Callistemon Sun 27-Sep-20 10:54:27

I wonder what that’s about

I think that's the idea of thread headings.

Atqui Sun 27-Sep-20 11:08:55

FannyCornforth Did I say anything about enforcement? Just because I like to know what I’m wasting time on , it does not mean I’m a right wing , uncreative, control freak. Still, it has been enlightening to know that some people agree. I especially empathise with Suedonim who has slow internet connection.
Ellianne Now you’ve got me guessing! I’m in Devon too.

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Sep-20 11:16:39

Atqui, apologies.
I thought that stuff posted in Site Stuff was suggestions, complaints etc to GNHQ.
I didn't realise that it was just a general musing.smile

toscalily Sun 27-Sep-20 11:22:44

Surely the whole point of posting is to get a reply, the more the merrier. How it continues depends on who contributes and the way the thread evolves with those entering the conversation. As for being old school secretarial, I imagine a lot of us are but this an internet forum with people coming from all walks of life, jobs, diverse experience, countries & nationalities. Some of the most interesting threads start mundane and digress as in real life.

Atqui Sun 27-Sep-20 11:40:34

Fanny Er, thought it was a suggestion! Shall we just agree to disagree?

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Sep-20 11:44:20

I think that's probably for the best!

Summerlove Sun 27-Sep-20 21:43:52

BlueBelle

I m not sure what summer means I don’t think you can open more than one thread at a time ?

Of course you can. Why would I say otherwise?

I do it on my iPhone, but just as marydoll says

I hold my thumb over the title, and hit “open in a new tab”. It’s very easy.