Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Yesterday's description of Scandinavian Christmas

(12 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:20:03

I was surprised by some inaccuracies in your description yesterday.

The buns you mentioned are delicious, but have nothing to do with Christmas in Denmark. We eat them at all times of the year.

For Christmas we bake or buy special Christmas biscuits and a cake that resembles Danish pastry.

Yes, you will see Danes wrapped in blankets outside coffee bars, but that is merely because you are not allowed to smoke indoors.

Many Danes don't own blankets as beds are never made with them and houses are much warmer than in Britain, so indoors we wear one layer of clothing and seldom even need a jumper or cardigan. We put jumpers on under our coats before going out in the winter.

Celebrating St. Lucy on the 13th of December is a Swedish tradition that Danes adopted when he present Queen was a child. Her mother was Swedish, so celebrated it with her daughters and the idea spread to families, schools and kindergartens.

Please be more careful in your research another time.

Chewbacca Wed 18-Nov-20 14:25:50

confused

tanith Wed 18-Nov-20 14:32:01

?

kittylester Wed 18-Nov-20 14:52:37

I missed that.

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 15:30:11

Me too

Blossoming Wed 18-Nov-20 15:32:34

No idea.

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 15:35:15

But then I'm just dense as I thought Scandinavia would consist of just Norway and Sweden.

Blossoming Wed 18-Nov-20 15:36:04

Aha! This is what the OP is referring to!

www.gransnet.com/christmas/scandinavian-christmas-hygge

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 15:42:53

So I've no need for all these blankets I'm busy making in lockdown for a hygge lifestyle - just blast up the central heating and wear a t shirt indoors!

Not very environmentally-friendly, though. Greta will not be pleased.

GrannySomerset Wed 18-Nov-20 15:46:09

British homes are poorly insulated compared with much of Northern Europe so we will continue to need more layers - and high heating bills.

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 15:50:01

Yes, I did know as we stayed in a flat which was triple glazed, which we never came across in the UK.
But, then, we weren't used to the sea freezing over in the UK either.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Nov-20 16:02:05

Thanks grandtanteJE65. That piece was written by a Danish member of the team. Perhaps things differ between regions? Happy to look at it when we update. smile