Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Non Grandmothers on GN - Attitudes about Motherhood and Grandmotherhood

(102 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 13-Mar-21 11:03:55

Hello Everyone

I am currently at risk of high jacking another completely unrelated thread, so have started this one as I really want to discuss and understand this.

(Just to be clear though, please, this isn't a thread about a thread, rather one a thread prompted by a thread.)

It has come to my attention that some members of Gransnet do not believe that people who are not Grandparents should be on here.

I honestly cannot get my head around this attitude and understand the thinking behind it.

If we had a Feminism board I think that I would have posted this there.

Does it raise further questions about how women feel about other women?
Is it bigotry? Judgemental? Superiority?
Can anyone explain please?

Thank you thanks

(I've just realised that it's quite apt to discuss this today, the eve of Mothers' Day.
And apologies if this has been discussed before, I haven't seen a similar thread though)

Lucca Sat 13-Mar-21 22:56:18

“ Ideally as long as this is Gransnet people really ought not to be treading in here when they can never fully understand our experience as a group of senior women (senior not by age as such but senior in our progression through the various roles we play and have played).”

No, just no.

Sara1954 Sat 13-Mar-21 23:02:08

Simtib
Not too keen on that, hopefully won’t be grey for too much longer.

simtib Sat 13-Mar-21 23:09:26

Sara1954

Simtib
Not too keen on that, hopefully won’t be grey for too much longer.

We could change it weekly for whatever colour we wish to identify as.

Sara1954 Sat 13-Mar-21 23:18:45

I really want to identify as ash blonde with subtle highlights, but that might be a bit of a mouthful.

Callistemon Sat 13-Mar-21 23:18:57

simtib

If we are going to rename it how about Greynet.

Not all of us are grey, simtib!
And I don't use hair dye.

I bet I'm not the only one.

simtib Sat 13-Mar-21 23:26:20

Callistemon

simtib

If we are going to rename it how about Greynet.

Not all of us are grey, simtib!
And I don't use hair dye.

I bet I'm not the only one.

OK Greynet is out and I have to admit that ash-blonde-with-subtle-highlights-net is a bit long. I presume hairnet is out as well.

Sara1954 Sat 13-Mar-21 23:31:17

Simtib
Sorry, that’s a definite No

Callistemon Sat 13-Mar-21 23:36:34

I presume hairnet is out as well.

My hair needs a lot of taming every morning, simtib and, believe this or not, my DD suggested wearing a hairnet overnight to keep it in place.
I'm sure she'd look very glamorous in one but I'd look like Ena Sharples ?

Some of you may be too young to remember her wink

simtib Sat 13-Mar-21 23:42:31

I remember the first episode of Coranation Street. Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell and Martha Longhurst. Don't watch it any more.

Ro60 Sun 14-Mar-21 02:19:27

Fanny you have every right to be here. Infact, GN wouldn't be the same without you. You've So earned your GN stripes. ?
I came to GN when I discovered I was to be transitioning from Parent to Grand-parent. I think I was looking for info & ideas to see me through this new stage of life & status. Only one of my close friends had a Gch.
Gradually, on occasion I'd have a peak at what was topical -
(how does a GP react?)
More recently my relationship with GN has expanded - partly due to Lockdown.
As time goes on, before we know it out lives suddenly change. From my perspective as a grand parent, but also similar issues for my recently retired single friend, (as I ponder, there are other situations too) GN has many purposes.
Leaving work, moving to easier accommodation or nearer family, empty nearer etc.
For me, GN is becoming akin to a group of friends I used to meet up with for a coffee or an evening together.
That is to say, there has to be common ground somewhere yet diversity in opinions & respect for each other is key.
So people find themselves here & feel they fit in, in some way, have something constructive to offer the forum or an affinity with some of the views.

Ro60 Sun 14-Mar-21 02:21:02

Oops so sorry didn't realise is written so much?

FannyCornforth Sun 14-Mar-21 08:19:43

Callistemon

^I presume hairnet is out as well.^

My hair needs a lot of taming every morning, simtib and, believe this or not, my DD suggested wearing a hairnet overnight to keep it in place.
I'm sure she'd look very glamorous in one but I'd look like Ena Sharples ?

Some of you may be too young to remember her wink

I do indeed remember Ena Sharples!
I was weened on Coronation Street.
I remember when Ernest Bishop was shot. I recently found out that I was only 5 at the time! I can't believe I had such vivid recollection of it.

One of best friends used to have elaborate hair extensions. Every night she would sleep with a pillow case on her head, as does Marge Simpson.

FannyCornforth Sun 14-Mar-21 08:21:28

Ooh, thankyou Ro for your lovely comments, and the diamond!

FannyCornforth Sun 14-Mar-21 08:48:24

I actually thought that Thistlelass was joking and that the post was satirical.
After re-reading it, it appears that she was being serious.
Which is actually even more funny grin
I'm still not sure though...

FannyCornforth Sun 14-Mar-21 08:53:23

Missfoodlove

Are men or younger forum members moaning about the menopause/HRT questionnaire?

The questionnaire was not / is not about Grandparenting.
It is about Lockdown.
It is relevant to everyone.

And I'm not moaning about anything.

DillytheGardener Sun 14-Mar-21 09:01:47

I joined well before I became a grandmother, because I wanted outside advice on a family problem. I stayed for the company and hearing voices so different to my own friends and family. I was born, grew up and married into a small group of families and friends that all live around the few streets. It is interesting to hear everyone else’s opinions and has made me a little more open minded I think. I especially enjoyed Bradfordlass and those like her for their straight talking and pragmatic views on life.

Ailidh Sun 14-Mar-21 10:39:12

I followed some rabbit trail in Google and liked the sound of this group. I thought it was a group for women of a certain age, which I thought a lovely idea. It genuinely didn't occur to me that biological grandparenthood was a requisite. Sorry.

If started my own group, it would be WomenWhoDidn'tMarryOrHaveChildrenNotByDesignButBecauseLifeJustHappenedThatWayButAreNotSadOrBitterAboutIt.net but it doesn't trip off the tongue so well ??

Callistemon Sun 14-Mar-21 10:53:38

. I find this forum infiltrated by mum and daughters, daughter-in-law all having a good old natter.
I hold up my hands.

I am a daughter and a daughter-in-law.

As a woman, it would be difficult to be here, or indeed anywhere, without being a daughter.

Cs783 Sun 14-Mar-21 11:08:25

Well mumsnet is such a huge brand that the name gransnet piggybacks on its reach. Not sure I would have come across it otherwise. But of course it’s problematic - as is any label. Thank goodness for pragmatic good sense that seems to come across in this forum as a whole.

FannyCornforth Sun 14-Mar-21 11:38:19

Callistemon

. I find this forum infiltrated by mum and daughters, daughter-in-law all having a good old natter.
I hold up my hands.

I am a daughter and a daughter-in-law.

As a woman, it would be difficult to be here, or indeed anywhere, without being a daughter.

That's hilarious! Thank you! grin

Riverwalk Sun 14-Mar-21 11:56:46

I presume hairnet is out as well grin

I rather like it!

FannyCornforth Sun 14-Mar-21 12:01:37

What about NatterNet? ?

sodapop Sun 14-Mar-21 12:15:01

My vote is for Grumpsnet can't remember who said it now.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Mar-21 12:33:56

Gossipnet ?

Puzzler61 Sun 14-Mar-21 15:06:59

Chatnet?