Gransnet forums

Site stuff

It is possible to send a positive report of a post to GNHQ

(137 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

ElderlyPerson Tue 03-Aug-21 07:51:56

It became clear yesterday evening that it is possible to send a positive report of a post to GNHQ.

www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/1299292-Imbalance-in-feedback-opportunities?msgid=28846155#28846155

MawBe Tue 03-Aug-21 14:19:21

To be fair, EP you have gone to great lengths to explain things which have been self-evident to most members of GN and of whom the vast majority are female.
In addition the system has worked well enough for the years I and others have been members - allowing for the occasional moan or glitch.
If it ain’t broke - don’t fix it.

BlueBelle Tue 03-Aug-21 15:06:44

It’s a beautiful day EP why not have a little walk in the sunshine And clear your head you’re really over worrying all this massively

sodapop Tue 03-Aug-21 15:12:05

Well said BlueBelle

Allsorts Tue 03-Aug-21 15:17:46

Sorry, but I cannot understand this post. What’s wrong with just posting, well done, I agree or whatever or is that too easy?

ElderlyPerson Tue 03-Aug-21 16:13:05

MawBe

To be fair, EP you have gone to great lengths to explain things which have been self-evident to most members of GN and of whom the vast majority are female.
In addition the system has worked well enough for the years I and others have been members - allowing for the occasional moan or glitch.
If it ain’t broke - don’t fix it.

I accept that I have rambled on, I do tend to explain things from first principles in a structured way, but I contend that that is just how I always am.

I feel that describing it as mansplaining simply because I am male and many of the readers are female is unfair and simply not the fact of the matter because I treat people as equals.

ElderlyPerson Tue 03-Aug-21 16:20:14

BlueBelle

It’s a beautiful day EP why not have a little walk in the sunshine And clear your head you’re really over worrying all this massively

I have simply replied to being characterised as mansplaining.

If someone makes a characterisation of someone and the target does not agree with it, then the person is, in my opinion, right to contradict it. Even if deemed pedantic and so on.

If someone publishes a comment about someone then it is a Matter of Public Interest and the target is permitted to respond.

MissAdventure Tue 03-Aug-21 16:20:27

You ramble away, ElderlyPerson
smile
People can not read if they don't enjoy your ramblings. smile

MawBe Tue 03-Aug-21 16:22:17

With respect Elderly Person I will withdraw the term “mansplaining” but substitute patronising
Perhaps you need to recognise that some grannies do not require egg-sucking tutorials.

JaneJudge Tue 03-Aug-21 16:24:15

Oh I love this new feature, I've been given a distinction

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Aug-21 16:26:04

JaneJudge

Oh I love this new feature, I've been given a distinction

I do love you Jane smile

ElderlyPerson Tue 03-Aug-21 16:36:56

MawBe

With respect Elderly Person I will withdraw the term “mansplaining” but substitute patronising
Perhaps you need to recognise that some grannies do not require egg-sucking tutorials.

I have never understood the word 'patronising'.

I have been accused of it and heard of others being accused of it, but I have never understood what it means.

www.lexico.com/definition/patronizing

Oh dear!

Well, I have always liked to think of myself as being a kind and helpful person.

kittylester Tue 03-Aug-21 16:46:32

Surely, if one approves of a post (or a thread) one can always say 'Good post' or similar, in which ever language seems appropriate at the time.

Done it myself countless times!

Kalu Tue 03-Aug-21 17:11:39

EP, I think the consensus is, we are happy to stick with acknowledging, good post, well said etc. as we have been doing publicly for years in preference to getting in touch with HQ to share our thoughts that so and so has just added this very good post. I personally prefer to tell a poster, well said, as an acknowledgement to my agreement with their post.

I really don’t feel any need to get in touch with HQ on such matters. Much better to tell said poster there and then I would have thought.

MawBe Tue 03-Aug-21 17:16:56

ElderlyPerson

MawBe

I have never understood the word 'patronising'.

I have been accused of it and heard of others being accused of it, but I have never understood what it means.

www.lexico.com/definition/patronizing

Oh dear!

Well, I have always liked to think of myself as being a kind and helpful person.

I imagine you read to the end of the definition you linked to?

MerylStreep Tue 03-Aug-21 17:48:14

EP
I do believe that you truly believe that your not mansplaining or patronising.
But can’t you see from the majority of posts that you are coming over in that light.

ElderlyPerson Tue 03-Aug-21 17:49:17

Yes I did.

As I said, I have always liked to think of myself as being a kind and helpful person.

It seems that some people have misinterpreted my kindly nature.

MerylStreep Tue 03-Aug-21 17:53:26

In the above I put this down to your lack of interaction with real people.
You can have all the telephone conversations and on line chat that you want, but nothing tells you more than looking at a real face to know if you have read the situation correctly.
I believe your chosen way of life is very unhealthy.
This is evidenced by the way you are interacting with posters.

MawBe Tue 03-Aug-21 17:56:08

ElderlyPerson

Yes I did.

As I said, I have always liked to think of myself as being a kind and helpful person.

It seems that some people have misinterpreted my kindly nature.

It was a good definition

ADJECTIVE

Apparently kind or helpful but betraying a feeling of superiority ; condescending .

Let’s agree to differ.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Aug-21 17:57:53

Gosh EP no one is suggesting that you are not kind. From reading your posts and also your pms to me, I am sure that you are.
I have tried to help you navigate the seas of Gransnet to no avail.
If you start an unpopular thread it is not a judgement upon your character - it’s just an unpopular thread.
Let it go, perhaps reflect upon it, and start another one the next day.
We’ve all been there (well, I know I have) it’s nothing personal.
Perhaps give GN a bit of a break for a couple of days, concentrate on one of your other hobbies, and come back afresh.
I worry that perhaps you are expecting too much of GN thanksthanks

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Aug-21 18:01:02

MerylStreep
Perhaps EP’s ‘way of life’ isn’t ‘chosen’.
I imagine that his lifestyle has much in common with my own.
I think that this thread needs to be knocked on the head.

ElderlyPerson Tue 03-Aug-21 18:01:55

MerylStreep

In the above I put this down to your lack of interaction with real people.
You can have all the telephone conversations and on line chat that you want, but nothing tells you more than looking at a real face to know if you have read the situation correctly.
I believe your chosen way of life is very unhealthy.
This is evidenced by the way you are interacting with posters.

Over the years from time to time a few people have told me I am patronising and I have never understood why.

Whenever I asked people to explain they just get annoyed and walk away without explaining.

The final sentence of what you wrote, can you explain what evidence you are talking about please? That would be very helpful to me.

Someone did make some comment once to someone else about me about lack of eye contact, but I think that I used to look at a wall or something static rather than at a person speaking so as to better concentrate and understand what was being said without having the movement in front of me.

Calendargirl Tue 03-Aug-21 18:10:31

I think that this thread needs to be knocked on the head

So perhaps if no one else posts, it will just quietly disappear?

Hint, hint.

Kim19 Tue 03-Aug-21 18:11:41

Quite wonderful. My already boggled mind is further down that road. You are all a hoot and I love it.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Aug-21 18:13:10

I’m glad someone is

Lisagran Tue 03-Aug-21 18:54:18

EP, have you commented on / participated in any other threads than the ones started by yourself?