Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Over on Gransnet?

(49 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Tue 28-Sep-21 12:06:28

Gransnet Daily has a feature Over on Mumsnet.

I am wondering if there is a Mumsnet Daily, and if so, does it have an Over on Gransnet link each day?

Yes, I am wondering if people on Mumsnet have been informed about the thread I started about how is a mother-in-law addressed.

ElderlyPerson Tue 28-Sep-21 18:32:28

Deferential?

Are men treated in a deferential way on Gransnet?

Lizzie72 Tue 28-Sep-21 18:35:51

I have asked this before, but never received a reply - do you post on any other sites, EP? (Just interested. I’m on Facebook, and that’s it)

Galaxy Tue 28-Sep-21 18:41:50

Yes sometimes EP. There has been a study on how women and men relate on MN, and it concluded that on MN the women behave like men, i.e the dominant group, that doesnt happen on here. I know a lot of utterly useless info about MN.

ElderlyPerson Tue 28-Sep-21 18:46:05

How do you mean?

Esspee Tue 28-Sep-21 18:47:44

When Gransnet gets boring I head over to Mumsnet.

3dognight Tue 28-Sep-21 18:55:41

Esspee

When Gransnet gets boring I head over to Mumsnet.

Can you just look at mumsnet or do you have to join?

3dognight Tue 28-Sep-21 18:56:59

Sorry Esspee didn’t mean to do that quote thing

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Sep-21 19:23:17

I post only rarely on Mumsnet, but visit often. There are some really interesting, hard-hitting and very, very funny threads. I actually find it less confrontational than Gransnet, which can get a bit claustrophobic imho - with so many members the threads move very quickly and there's little chance of relationships (friendly or otherwise) forming between members. There are a surprising number of older women on there, as any discussion about "boomers" will testify. I don't get the impression that many men take part in the discussions, though of course you often can't tell who's posting.

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Sep-21 19:34:07

Thank you MaggieMaybe
I totally agree.
And it’s always good to hear from people who have experience of what they are talking about

Callistemon Tue 28-Sep-21 19:48:55

I used to dip into Mumsnet, Maggiemaybe but only joined in a couple of threads but yes, it can be very funny!

ElderlyPerson as MerylStreep recommended there are other over50s forums (fora) which may be more gender-balanced than Gransnet which, by its name, could put off the male of the species.

Callistemon Tue 28-Sep-21 19:54:43

Not that I am suggesting you leave GN - Heaven forbid.
I would get rapped over the knuckles if I dared to suggest that.

I remember suggesting to a younger poster who was seeking advice that she might get a different response if she asked on MN and got 'shredded' by some posters who thought I was telling her to leave!

She and I exchanged a couple of friendly pms and she did understand what I meant and said she was grateful for the help.

www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk/

MerylStreep Tue 28-Sep-21 20:12:13

MaggieMayBe
I totally agree. Because Mumsnet has so many members you don’t get the tribal attitude of gransnet.
Maybe it’s because I don’t post on there a lot that there’s nothing personal, unlike gransnet.

Callistemon Tue 28-Sep-21 20:19:30

Maybe it’s because I don’t post on there a lot that there’s nothing personal, unlike gransnet.

It certainly is personal, MerylStreep, isn't it!!

Mentioning that you think a Labour politician may be unwise to use certain language means certain posters have a go and assume you never vote Labour.
Mentioning that a long-dead Labour politician may have reneged on a promise means you get called a fascist etc.

GN seems to have what may be termed a "small-town mentality" on many of the political threads - no wonder posters avoid them and in fact leave GN altogether.

ixion Tue 28-Sep-21 20:24:17

Callistemon

Not that I am suggesting you leave GN - Heaven forbid.
I would get rapped over the knuckles if I dared to suggest that.

I remember suggesting to a younger poster who was seeking advice that she might get a different response if she asked on MN and got 'shredded' by some posters who thought I was telling her to leave!

She and I exchanged a couple of friendly pms and she did understand what I meant and said she was grateful for the help.

www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk/

I see this forum has a dedicated Poets Corner section.
This may be of interest to you EP?

nanaK54 Tue 28-Sep-21 20:26:55

Maggiemaybe

I post only rarely on Mumsnet, but visit often. There are some really interesting, hard-hitting and very, very funny threads. I actually find it less confrontational than Gransnet, which can get a bit claustrophobic imho - with so many members the threads move very quickly and there's little chance of relationships (friendly or otherwise) forming between members. There are a surprising number of older women on there, as any discussion about "boomers" will testify. I don't get the impression that many men take part in the discussions, though of course you often can't tell who's posting.

Absolutely
I spend far more time on MN than I do here

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Sep-21 20:34:44

NanaK and indeed any members of GN who are also members of MN, would you mind sharing how old you are?
I’m 49, and not a parent.

nanaK54 Tue 28-Sep-21 20:41:08

FannyCornforth

NanaK and indeed any members of GN who are also members of MN, would you mind sharing how old you are?

Think my user name gives away the fact that I was born in '54 grin
Will be 67 next month (how did that happen?!)

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Sep-21 20:44:51

Aw, thank you! I know, I’m 50 next January, and I’ve been 12 for the past 38 years!

MerylStreep Tue 28-Sep-21 20:47:49

Callistemon
I’d go further and call it village mentality
Heaven forbid that you are fortunate enough to have a certain lifestyle, or, horror of horrors, a holiday home abroad.
Then you really are persona non grata.

NotAGran55 Tue 28-Sep-21 20:50:53

FannyCornforth

I spend far more time on MN than I do on here as it’s sooo addictive.
I’m 66 and not a gran!

ElderlyPerson Tue 28-Sep-21 20:59:58

Lizzie72

I have asked this before, but never received a reply - do you post on any other sites, EP? (Just interested. I’m on Facebook, and that’s it)

I know you did, I noticed, and indeed you did not receive a reply.

I remember reading an article once by a lady, I think I know who, but I am not 100 per cent sure. The article was probably aimed at women or might have been an answer to a query by a woman.

The lady wrote something like:

Men love to be asked their (non-professional) advice. So if you meet a doctor at a party, don't ask him about your knee, ask him about growing roses.

So I found Gransnet by happy chance when searching the web when concerned about Tesco stopping tray liners and seeming to want us all to go back to opening the door, but social distanced and unloading stuff ourselves while the driver waited.

So with Gransnet one uses a username, so here we are.

I will say that I don;'t go on any where I would need to agree to one of those indemnity clauses and /or the jurisdiction of a foreign court.

Lizzie72 Tue 28-Sep-21 21:42:01

ElderlyPerson

Lizzie72

I know you did, I noticed, and indeed you did not receive a reply.

I remember reading an article once by a lady, I think I know who, but I am not 100 per cent sure. The article was probably aimed at women or might have been an answer to a query by a woman.

The lady wrote something like:

Men love to be asked their (non-professional) advice. So if you meet a doctor at a party, don't ask him about your knee, ask him about growing roses.

So I found Gransnet by happy chance when searching the web when concerned about Tesco stopping tray liners and seeming to want us all to go back to opening the door, but social distanced and unloading stuff ourselves while the driver waited.

So with Gransnet one uses a username, so here we are.

I will say that I don;'t go on any where I would need to agree to one of those indemnity clauses and /or the jurisdiction of a foreign court.

Thank you for your response

MayBeMaw Tue 28-Sep-21 23:57:13

Men love to be asked their (non-professional) advice. So if you meet a doctor at a party, don't ask him about your knee, ask him about growing roses

Why “men”?
Did you mean “people/some people”?
And who on earth woukd be rude enough to ask about a medical problem on a social,occasion?
It reads like a 1950’s book of etiquette!!

And how is this connected with Lizzie’s perfectly reasonable question?