Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Could we please have subject lines that tell us what the thread is about?

(24 Posts)
DaisyAnne Thu 10-Mar-22 08:58:42

Just that really. We are not publishing a newspaper and it becomes very irritating having to trail through threads to see what they are about or to try and ensure you are not repeating a subject.

Thanks!

BlueBelle Thu 10-Mar-22 09:23:09

Good morning thread is always self explanatory ?

aggie Thu 10-Mar-22 09:26:41

I find the title usually is information enough , if we had to type a précis of our wandering it would stop many an interesting post

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 10-Mar-22 09:26:47

And put the date on it! So many old threads being resurrected then others also post not realising.
I think the titles are like ‘Click bait’ they want you to look even though you might not be interested if they put the correct title on the Opening Post.

aggie Thu 10-Mar-22 09:28:38

The date is always on the title , the old resurrected posts are always started by a spammer ! They don’t worry how old it is

lemsip Thu 10-Mar-22 09:30:53

There were several threads about Ukraine last week the title bore no clue to the subject matter.........more people may have clicked on the thread if it was clear in the title........ . ......

DaisyAnne Thu 10-Mar-22 09:32:20

Oopsadaisy1

And put the date on it! So many old threads being resurrected then others also post not realising.
I think the titles are like ‘Click bait’ they want you to look even though you might not be interested if they put the correct title on the Opening Post.

I agree Oopsadaisy. Why would you want people who are not interested in the subject to read it?

DaisyAnne Thu 10-Mar-22 09:33:00

lemsip

There were several threads about Ukraine last week the title bore no clue to the subject matter.........more people may have clicked on the thread if it was clear in the title........ . ......

Or you end up getting two on basically the same subject.

winterwhite Thu 10-Mar-22 12:59:19

Agree strongly with the OP.

I find threads such 'What would you do?'. or 'Advice please", or 'Am I the only one?' aren't enticing, and general titles on mega topics - 'Covid query', 'Ukraine latest', 'Meghan' (?) - don't give enough information.

MawtheMerrier Thu 10-Mar-22 14:21:05

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1307707-Question-Time-The-former-Prime-Minister-of-Denmark-Helle-Thorning-Schmidt-called-out-the-governments-amazing-claim-that-the-UK-is-leading-the-efforts-against-Russia-right-now

This long and clear enough? (News and Politics)

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 10-Mar-22 14:21:13

aggie

The date is always on the title , the old resurrected posts are always started by a spammer ! They don’t worry how old it is

The original date of the post isn’t on the title only the most recent date, until you go into the thread and find 10 pages in that it’s from 2017…….
As someone says Spammers.

Has anyone noticed that a new GNer comes on and asks an easy question starting with has anyone……..?

And then half an hour later or so after many helpful answers another new poster pops up with a Spam answer? Happens too often to be a coincidence and then neither Posters reappear ever again. Methinks it’s the same Spam’ poster setting up a new account, deleting it and the setting up another one for the Spam message. Then off they go ready to start again. Over and over again.
Rant over.

MerylStreep Thu 10-Mar-22 14:30:38

MawtheMerrier
Brilliant ?

Beswitched Sat 19-Mar-22 18:01:08

I find most thread titles very clear. Also perhaps you could have worded your OP a little more patiently and politely.

FarNorth Sat 19-Mar-22 18:13:17

The original date of the post isn’t on the title only the most recent date, until you go into the thread and find 10 pages in that it’s from 2017…….

The date of the first post is always on it.
Of course it's easy to overlook that and just start reading.
All the other posts have their dates too, tho, so it's not hard to spot an old thread before you've read 10 pages.

Yes, you do have to open the thread to see that but it's not a big deal.

Zoejory Sat 19-Mar-22 18:18:03

There's the magnificent thread title about Boris Johnson's bulge posted today.

Beswitched Sat 19-Mar-22 18:55:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Tizliz Sat 19-Mar-22 19:04:43

Starting a thread saying AIBU is not helpful. It makes it difficult to know which threads you are following

Beswitched Sat 19-Mar-22 19:43:28

There's a thread for aibu posts?

Beswitched Sat 19-Mar-22 20:34:51

Anyhow, the bottom line is can we just be welcoming and inclusive towards all posters, rather than intolerant and exclusive?

MawtheMerrier Sat 19-Mar-22 21:52:42

Beswitched

There's a thread for aibu posts?

Indeed there is a forum for AIBU threads

Forum topics
AIBU (3861)
Arts & crafts (881)
Ask a gran (4315)
Bereavement (339)
Books/book club (912)
Care & carers (312)
Charities (243)
Chat (20125)
Etc, etc,etc didn’t copy them all

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Mar-22 03:54:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Goodbyetoallthat Sun 20-Mar-22 05:55:38

Woah patient & polite? I like to think that I am generally in daily life but if I feel like being unreasonable on gransnet no thanks! ?

Beswitched Sun 20-Mar-22 20:15:10

I think most posters do their best to be clear and understandable. Sometimes it's hard to think of the right title. I do think patience and politeness are important smile

Vintagejazz Wed 13-Apr-22 19:01:07

I have found this problem on several forums. I think in general Gransnetters do a good job in making their titles clear.