Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Student research projects and surveys on Gransnet

(38 Posts)
StarDreamer Tue 12-Jul-22 11:33:02

Oh dear!

This morning we got the thread

www.gransnet.com/forums/other_subjects/1312825-Need-your-help-on-the-online-shopping-experience

Now it has gone.

It was quick, but I managed to post the following.

----

Hi

Please use the Report button in the header to your post and then choose Report for other reasons and write that you have just learned that such posts as yours need a fee paying to Gransnet or your thread may well get deleted.

I am not saying this to be awkward, I know that this happened to another student, a student in Germany.

I have saved your link to a WordPad file so that I can take part in your survey even if this thread becomes deleted.

I hope your research project goes well.

----

I found, after I had posted, that someone else had posted.

I prepared a reply, quoting that post, adding,

----

I think that it would then be in a different forum, not Other Subjects.

I hope that Tanya is helped.

----

But the thread had already gone.

====

I know that the original post referred to a company and thus it is a business enquiry, even if the students are not paid by the company.

So I write to ask what happens please in these situations?

Is the student advised and a route to help made available or what please?

How do other readers regard having such a survey, which is part of someone's studies to try to get on in the world, yet also could help a business make money, yet could possibly lead to better services becoming available for elderly people?

I know that sponsored discussions have a prize draw, but if I fill in a survey the prize draw is not an incentive - the chances of winning are small and not worth the effort. I would rather the money that funds the prize draw be used to help students such as Tanya get a survey.

I hope that we are allowed to discuss this and that such discussion is not regarded as taboo!

StarDreamer Wed 13-Jul-22 08:50:56

I wonder if we should design a survey such that the survey that we produce asks the appropriate questions to ask elderly people.

We could have a thread in which we could discuss the design of the survey and devise the questions.

It might in some way, unknown at present, lead to some improvements for elderly people.

M0nica Wed 13-Jul-22 09:23:36

I am not sure that would work.

You need to know the purpose of the survey is, how they reached the decision to research that subject and then take apart all their assumptions, especially those of young people for older people.

Their definition of age: likely to lump anyone over 60, 50 sometimes, into one basket. The belief that we are all computer numpties and technologically ignorant. that we are all retired and do not work, in fact I often think they think we never worked and so on and so on.

Doodledog Wed 13-Jul-22 12:10:04

That's absolutely true, M0nica?

I have seen so many drafts with younger age groups broken down into minute gradations (eg 18-20, 21-25, 25-30) then bigger gaps until you get to 50, then it's 50+, as though we are one homogeneous mass. I ask whether they think there is a huge difference between someone who is 19 and someone who is 20 - a birthdate could put people 3 weeks apart in age into different groups, and whether they can think of any likely differences between a 50 year old and a 90 year old.

Often this is because they know far more people in the younger age groups and can more easily find those people to answer their questions. This could explain why students turn to places like Gransnet. On the whole they don't know over 50s in an area far from home (why would they?) and it's easy to forget that, as was mentioned above, they are just learning.

StarDreamer Wed 13-Jul-22 12:30:18

Oh, I am not suggesting using anything from their survey. I am thinking of a survey designed from zero by elderly people to find out things from elderly people.

For example, online shopping.

There is something I wanted to buy from one company (some shirts) but their delivery was by a courier who would deliver at some time between 8 am and 8 pm, without any prior notification of a delivery time window at all.

So, living alone, I cannot be able to go to the window (previously, door) at every minute during those twelve hours. It is simply not possible.

So I didn't buy the shirts because although it might have worked out fine I was concerned over what might happen if the courier knocked the door and I could not respond at that time.

Yes, everyone gets conflated into age bands. Yet there are vast variations of people's circumstances.

The issue as I am, perhaps naively, thinking is that there is a balance between asking specific questions and just having one free format text area in which respondents express their needs, including needs that, as far as the respondent knows, is not presently available.

Perhaps a series of questions each with some preset answers and each having a free format text area, such that one can use either a preset, or the text area, or both.

StarDreamer Wed 13-Jul-22 12:35:39

The fact that permission is required for such a survey and that a fee is payable is not that prominent.

Maybe GNHQ could do something abut that.

That would avoid deletions and might even get GNHQ more revenue.

At present, why would anyone bother returning having been deleted "for" as it is put.

Sago Wed 13-Jul-22 13:38:40

As a Market Researcher with my own MR business I can confirm a survey has to be specific.

A survey cannot ever be conducted with friends or acquaintances as there is too much bias.

The majority of my work is around household cleaning products but the most interesting work I have done is regarding internet provision and the access and ability for different demographics.

It was a huge surprise how many people owned technology but only used it for social media.
We had ladies of 70 plus who would use Facebook but never consider online shopping.

We also had a man of about 80 who used a computer just to FaceTime his Russian “ girlfriend “, he went into far too much detail about how it had transformed his life?.
He had used the local library services to teach him how to do it and had no interest in any other possible uses.

Doodledog Wed 13-Jul-22 14:11:57

We also had a man of about 80 who used a computer just to FaceTime his Russian “ girlfriend “, he went into far too much detail about how it had transformed his life?.

? Oh dear.

M0nica Wed 13-Jul-22 14:13:31

With online shopping, age has very little to do with it. The problem mentioned by Stardreamer is a problem faced by many online shoppers, regardless of age.

Single, or minimal use internet usrs, are also not limited to older people. Not every one has the ability to dance round the keyboard/ phone. Some people are just intellectually slower - and struggle.

StarDreamer Wed 13-Jul-22 14:15:21

Sago wrote I can confirm a survey has to be specific.

Can you elaborate please?

For example, are you meaning as in "online grocery shopping" rather than "online shopping"?

For example, are meaning as questions with specific answers from which to choose, rather than a text area with the question "What problems (if any) have you experienced with online grocery shopping?"

Or both, and/or something else please?

Doodledog Wed 13-Jul-22 14:52:05

Open questions are more difficult to analyse, and if they are mixed with closed (ie yes/no) questions even more so.

In a large scale survey this can easily be ironed out - the software will separate the answers and they can be dealt with separately. The results may back one another up (triangulation), and if not, further research will be done.

Studies done by students on a zero budget are usually analysed using Excel or even manually. Although students have access to SPSS (powerful analytical software) many of them can't use it. I think that people often forget that their surveys are individual efforts carried out with few resources. Many of them are not professional standard, but it's not really fair to expect them to be.

Rather than mixing and matching open and closed questions, t is more likely that a student would have a final question asking if the respondent would be willing to be interviewed, or to be asked further questions in an open ended questionnaire, or even join a focus group. They could then get a representative sample form those who agreed, and take it from there.

M0nica Wed 13-Jul-22 20:40:54

if students are doing surveys as part of their research, I expect their surveys to be competent and to have been checked and tested by a tutor or supervisor.

When they get out of university and into world of work, they will very quickly learn that the sort of slap happy work they produce in university is unacceptable elsewhere.

It is also insulting to those whose cooperation they are looking for if they are asked to fill in questionnaires that can produce no usefu, or worse inaccurate information.

I saved someone's job, by looking at the questionnaire sent out by the previous incumbent of his job, the responses to whch that he had to write a report from. I read the report, it was rubbish. I then read the questionnaire and said that given how badly drawn up the questionnaire was, no better report could be expected. He was still working his probationary period and it kept him in the job.

Doodledog Wed 13-Jul-22 22:03:49

Up to a point I agree (and of course they are checked and marked for choosing suitable research methods, applying them correctly and analysing the results accurately). The best ones are often very good, but not all will be.

People co-operate with them out of kindness. I complete several a year, to make up the numbers as a token 'older person' ?. If someone expects them to be of professional standard they are misguided. Students are just that - people who are studying. They are not qualified, and will make mistakes.

It is unlikely that a new graduate will be asked to design and deliver a live research project of any value, and if they go on to postgrad study they will be expected to work at a higher standard. I was a bit surprised that the one we (briefly) saw was part of a Masters, but who knows - it may have been the pilot study.