Gransnet forums

Site stuff

PLEASE READ AND COMMENT Is it wrong for the virtual cruise threads to have lots of links?

(39 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

StarDreamer Tue 09-Aug-22 13:15:21

An issue has arisen in another thread.

LINK > www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1313941-Do-you-bother-to-check-out-Links?pg=3

As the issue has wide importance, rather than leave the issue there within a chat thread where many people might not notice it, I am starting this thread with the intention of immediately reporting this thread to GNHQ so as to try to resolve the issue one way or the other.

Readers who have an opinion on this issue are invited to post their views in this thread.

The issue is important, because now that I am on awareness of the reasoning presented, I feel that I need that I need to have the matter resolved before proceeding with a planned future thread in the same style.

StarDreamer Tue 09-Aug-22 13:19:21

I have reported the above post to GNHQ with the following comment.

I am self-reporting this post as an issue has been raised and I feel that, now that I am on awareness of the reasoning presented, that a ruling by GNHQ is needed please.

Smileless2012 Tue 09-Aug-22 13:23:12

I don't see why StarDreamer. Admittedly I haven't been on any of them but if those on the threads are happy with the number of links posted I don't see a problem.

Anyone who doesn't like the threads for whatever reason, doesn't have to go on them. I'm sure that there's nothing in the guidelines as to how many links can be posted on any one thread.

'Happy Cruising' smile.

Farmor15 Tue 09-Aug-22 13:26:21

I haven't been going on the virtual cruises but occasionally drop in, though don't click on links as I haven't time. However, if I was older and home more, I would use links as they are an integral part of the experience.

Posters have the choice whether to click on links or not, so I don't see the issue.

FarNorth Tue 09-Aug-22 13:35:38

I think the virtual cruise threads are an excellent idea and it's clear that many people enjoy them.
I think it would make Gransnet poorer, for its members, if you were prevented from having those threads.

welbeck Tue 09-Aug-22 13:36:02

agree with above posters

Jaxjacky Tue 09-Aug-22 13:43:35

I don’t think they’re wrong at all, we can all choose which threads we contribute to and join in, carry on SD.

Blossoming Tue 09-Aug-22 13:55:00

I generally find your links useful and interesting StarDreamer. If it’s a subject that’s not for me then I don’t click on them,

MerylStreep Tue 09-Aug-22 14:05:27

I believe what Stardreamer is referring to is the fact that another poster pointed out that everytime you click on a YouTube link Google are gathering more data on your personal likes and dislikes. Which it then sells on to advertising companies to target you

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 09-Aug-22 14:05:53

Hi all, we're fine for Gransnetters to share interesting links on the boards.
Of course, if you have any concerns - for example, a post might contain a spam link - then please report to us and we'll take a look.

Casdon Tue 09-Aug-22 14:06:18

I don’t have any problem with the links to virtual tours, they are from a wide variety of sources and people can follow them or not as they choose.
I am uncomfortable though about the constant references to Duolingo, which is a commercial site, given that there are alternative ways of learning languages. I think some would construe that as advertising.

Lucca Tue 09-Aug-22 14:15:31

I honestly don’t see the problem and I don’t think anyone has said they have a problem on the virtual cruise threads. Whether we choose to open the links us our choice surely ? I know quite a few posters didn’t open one of mine ! Not sure why this has to be brought up and reported? There are no GN rules about it as far as I’m aware.

What meryl Streep said ….

Blossoming Tue 09-Aug-22 14:19:12

What about the ‘Wordle’ threads Casdon? The New York Times is a commercial site, do you construe those posts as advertising too?

MerylStreep Tue 09-Aug-22 14:27:48

Has anyone else been targeted in the last few minutes?
Here’s mine. Literally less than a minute ago.

www.rolcruise.co.uk/cruise-deals/scenic-the-2022-2023-all-inclusive-5-star-river-cruise-sale.
This is what it’s about. Feeding the advertisers.

FarNorth Tue 09-Aug-22 14:29:36

I see what you mean Casdon but it's a fact duolingo is free and many, many people use it.
It does contain adverts, tho, which I manage to ignore.

Galaxy Tue 09-Aug-22 14:30:14

I dont think adverts are a bad thing though perhaps that's where we differ.

Galaxy Tue 09-Aug-22 14:31:09

And blossoming s point about wordle is a good one.

MerylStreep Tue 09-Aug-22 14:31:55

Blossoming
The New York Times is not a data gathering company: Google is. Why do you think Google paid $1.6 billion for YouTube 15 years ago: advertising = money.

FarNorth Tue 09-Aug-22 14:32:29

Not sure why this has to be brought up and reported?
Because someone on another thread was complaining bitterly and StarDreamer wanted clarification from GNHQ, which we now have.

Galaxy Tue 09-Aug-22 14:34:18

I use Google and you tube multiple times a day. I am able to decide whether I need to worry about that or not. I am glad we have advertising, it provides a platform for alternative views.

Galaxy Tue 09-Aug-22 14:35:20

But farnorth is right this has been thrashed out on another thread and GN have clarified their position.

MerylStreep Tue 09-Aug-22 14:37:48

Galaxy
Nothing wrong with advertising. It’s the way it’s used = psychology.

Casdon Tue 09-Aug-22 15:03:36

Blossoming

What about the ‘Wordle’ threads Casdon? The New York Times is a commercial site, do you construe those posts as advertising too?

I was thinking more of the constant references in posts to Duolingo and the intricacies of how it works, rather than the odd mention of it Blossoming. I don’t think the Wordle threads do that, but I may be wrong because I don’t go on them, people seem more focussed on the result they get each day. It’s a fine line between saying you use a particular tool/site, and others thinking you might be promoting it because of how frequently it’s mentioned. I’m not suggesting that’s happening, I just think that’s how it could be construed.

MissAdventure Tue 09-Aug-22 15:12:30

How about links for sea salt clothing, et al..?
Are they ok?

StarDreamer Tue 09-Aug-22 15:19:24

MichaelGransnet

Hi all, we're fine for Gransnetters to share interesting links on the boards.
Of course, if you have any concerns - for example, a post might contain a spam link - then please report to us and we'll take a look.

Thank you for clarifying.