Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Advice to new? posters

(12 Posts)
Farmor15 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:07:34

Apart from the general information about posting on forums, which people don't usually read, I wonder could GNHQ send a message to new members suggesting if they start a new thread that they come back at least once to respond. It could be added to "Netiquette" section, though I suspect it wouldn't be read - an e-mail might work better.

I think sometimes people join specifically to ask about a particular problem and get lots of replies - often getting up to 100s - without ever responding. They may or may not actually read the advice, but it's frustrating for members who have spent time composing a considered reply, not knowing if OP has read it.

Buffybee Tue 10-Sep-19 11:12:33

I agree entirely.
The OP could at the very least, come back to thank posters for their help/comments.

sodapop Tue 10-Sep-19 11:49:21

Yes what is the point of people taking the time and trouble to respond if the Original Poster doesn't let us know any outcomes. There is a thread now where this has happened. Maybe the OP has decamped to Canada.

Farmor15 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:12:02

It’s satisfying when OP comes back to say what they actually decided, but even if that doesn’t happen, they could at least thank people for their input. It’s usually posters whose names we haven’t seen before that don’t come back, which is why I put new? in thread title.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:51:54

I think in some circumstances the OP, may be overwhelmed by the negativity of the responses.

ZoeGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Sep-19 15:48:20

Hello everyone
Thanks for raising this with us. We know how much effort goes into responses and advice to other GN users, so we'll discuss this and let you know what the outcome is smile
Best wishes

Farmor15 Tue 10-Sep-19 15:52:10

Thanks for responding, Zoe

Elegran Tue 10-Sep-19 16:31:50

You could also include in a "welcome" email some information about the structure of the forums - where to find the various topics under which the threads are stored, how to start a new post, how to pm another poster or report a bad post or know when someone has sent a pm, and so on. Established posters frequently answer questions from new members who are all at sea about the forums, and don't seem able to find anything.

9pins Fri 29-May-20 12:44:58

I don't know how to post a go question

9pins Fri 29-May-20 12:45:35

Have I just managed it?smile

ninathenana Fri 29-May-20 14:24:22

9pins I'm not sure what you mean by a go question. Perhaps that was a typo ?
To start a new thread, chose the appropriate forum i.e. click Health, click start a new topic and type in the box you just used.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-May-20 17:29:07

Hi 9pins - there's a guide here that may help you with posting: www.gransnet.com/info/getting-started

But, as always, if you have any questions about using the site, please email us at [email protected], and we'll be more than happy to help grin