Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Warner Leisure Hotels what you like treating yourself to when on holiday in the UK NOW CLOSED

(112 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Nov-13 10:12:03

Warner Leisure Hotels has asked us to find out what gransnetters like treating themselves to when they’re on holiday in the UK.

Here's what Warner Leisure Hotels have to say, "At Warner we are great believers of getting involved in different activities and treating yourself. Whether that is a spot of afternoon tea with friends, a new dance workshop or watching a live band perform. Our guests have long been telling us that a holiday is all about a bit of 'me time' so we’d love to hear what you treat yourself to."

So, when you're on holiday in the UK, what do you like treating yourself to? Do you enjoy going for a nice swim somewhere? Do you use it as an excuse reason to be slightly more indulgent in your eating? Or are you a more adventurous type and like to treat yourself to something like a helicopter ride around the beautiful surrounding British countryside? Whatever it is, we'd love to hear about it!

Everyone who adds their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 M&S voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

Grannylin Mon 04-Nov-13 21:19:49

Can't stand stuffy rooms or windows that can't open.
Agree about real coffee/kettle/cafetiere.Lots of biscuits or none at all.
No smelly air freshners.
Good sound insulation ..no coughs, snores or other goings on!
Easy entry system to the room..not cards that you have to swipe 10 times.
Tasteful soft furnishings and a huge bed.Power shower and a big bath.

janerowena Mon 04-Nov-13 21:21:54

Plenty of car parking. It's amazing how many hotels don't make enough provison, and even advertise that they have plenty of it, you then arrive late at night and discover that they have obviously lied. Or that even though you booked, they have still run out and have found you alternative parking ten minutes walk away (Station Hotel in Bath)
Any rooms near lifts or air conditioning units or dumb waiters should be specially soundproofed or sold at cheap rates. Very cheap.
I like lots of pillows to prop me up while I read in bed and another to lay across my lap to prop up my book. So I vote for keeping the cushions, or having several spare pillows in a cupboard.
I stayed in Derby the other weekend at the four star Hallmark Hotel. that was pretty near perfect, bedroom-wise and food-wise. Large comfortable rooms, large comfortable bath plus shower rooms with masses of storage, and what made it for me - a desk for working at, a dressing table with decent lighting and misrror and hairdryer, and a separate table for tea and coffee with all sorts of herbal teas and the most amazing biscuits.
Free wifi
Swimming pool for me and a gym for OH
Hairdresser/beauty salon to repair swimming pool damage
Excellent food, we are foodies
Wines and alcoholic drink that doesn't cost the earth and make you go to the pub round the corner (which several of our friends did)
Decent beers
Large grounds for decent walks, lake a bonus, lots of seats and no noisy roads
I hate restaurants where the tables are either so close that you have to squeeze to get through them, or so far apart that the waiters look as if they could do with roller skates.
Comfortable large bed
Nice views
Thick curtains
No muzak anywhere ever
Maybe live pianist as long as they don't just improvise all night long
Decent surfaces in bathroom for spreading out of all pills and potions
Big towels and enough of them
Free coffee and tea available all day in the lounge, and enough tea and coffee in the bedroom, we always run out.
Breakfast available until at least 11am, after a late night it is awful to haul yourself out of bed after only 6 hours sleep.
All of the hotels I have been to recently have gone for the minimalist look in their reception areas, I don't like it much. I want to be able to browse through brochures, pick up a map and have something to look at other than a vast empty expanse of brown laminate.
Adequate amounts of loos on the ground floor. Big fail for the last hotel.
And lastly - you should NOT be able to hear either the loo being used or your neighbours having sex in the next room (somewhere in Yorkshire)

Not that I'm fussy or anything. grin

pamelaJEAN Mon 04-Nov-13 22:48:09

Good Food, Nice rooms, clean bedding, good entertainment, nice location, and friendly staff, all of these things make a great holiday so that I can relax and just enjoy myself.

Granny23 Tue 05-Nov-13 00:18:19

I would also like most of the above mentioned but sadly, do not think I could afford a hotel with all of them sad.

However, as a smoker, my BIG problem with hotels in this country is that none of them seem to provide smoking permitted rooms anymore. Most hotels used to have some, usually on the top floor or in an annex so as not to pollute the non-smokers but recently this has changed and almost all hotels are non-smoking throughout. Hotels abroad usually allow smoking on balconies and with warmer, drier weather it is no problem to go outside. In this country there is often a huddle of smokers just outside the front door, (often in the rain) which is unpleasant for non-smoking guests too. I have no wish to offend or annoy other guests, but cannot relax and enjoy myself when surrounded by no-smoking signs everywhere and where I cannot enjoy a cigarette with my first cup of coffee or nightcap.

Bluebell99 Tue 05-Nov-13 08:14:28

The main thing that puts me off Warner hotels, is that it doesn't allow children so we cannot go and stay there altogether when visiting family in different parts of the country. Children are not allowed, and because of this, our local one is overrun with elderly people. I prefer to stay somewhere which welcomes a mix of people, not just the elderly. Our local one feels like an old peoples home. By excluding children, you are limiting your clientele.

I have visited the one closest to me frequently over the last few years and feel there have been cutbacks recently which mean it is less luxurious to stay there. I like good quality toiletries in the spa and health club, and free big fluffy towels. I like the little touches, like a fruit bowl in reception areas and newspapers. Friendly staff, good quality coffee, with free biscuits.

shysal Tue 05-Nov-13 09:04:21

I like my ensuite to include a bath as well as a shower, as I love a soak with a good book. Unlimited hot water is essential too for topping up.

Zephrine Tue 05-Nov-13 09:09:52

A good reading light on the wall above my shoulder by the bed.

inbetween44 Tue 05-Nov-13 09:32:44

A cream tea, a few cheeky cocktails and an ice-cream or two smile

wittymacs Tue 05-Nov-13 09:40:51

I like treating myself just by going away - that is the treat. However, I do enjoy being outdoors and going for nice country walks - and then coming back to good food and wine.

hazelina Tue 05-Nov-13 09:49:23

I love the seaside the brisk walks visiting the beach a paddle if its not too cold having fish and chips eating them in a wrapper sat near the beach watching the world go by children playing having fun,Also love a ninety nine icecream and a trip to the amusements all the fun and nostalgia playing all the games I loved when young,Also like the experience of meeting different people making friendship, The cosy B&Bs and the good food having everything done for you chilling and relaxing the lovely sea air is a tonic come back so refreshed.

montiefletcher Tue 05-Nov-13 09:49:45

Good food, good sleep and good company .... and of course a well stocked mini bar

smeeth99 Tue 05-Nov-13 10:01:16

I definitely treat myself with food on holiday in the UK. I don't worry about eating fish and chips, ice cream or having too much sugar.

There's no point going on holiday to then stress about little things!

mghnew2you Tue 05-Nov-13 10:18:15

a cream tea, a lovely view and a comfortable chair to enjoy a nice book for the afternoon...bliss.

janthea Tue 05-Nov-13 10:59:16

Good food, fabulous bedroom and bathroom. Quiet hotel. Lovely gardens in which to walk. Afternoon tea. Spa - so I can have lots of pampering. In other words - 5 star luxury that I can afford!!! grin

Anghy Tue 05-Nov-13 11:40:06

I like the option to take take day trips to quaint villages, towns, and beauty spots that don't necessarily mean loads of uphill, technical walking. I was up for that 20+ years ago but at 80 I want the slower paced options.

I do like to go for a nice afternoon tea and since I am a single woman travelling alone I wouldn't mind some other singles with which to chat and mingle.

I like an accessible bathroom with all the grab bars but that doesn't look institutional.

I agree with Ariadne, a recliner in the room would be very nice.

inishowen Tue 05-Nov-13 11:51:51

Great food, big comfy bed, decent tv that isn't stuck half way up the wall! Tea and coffee making facilities, with nice biscuits. Nice toiletries in the bathroom. Two armchairs, so you're not lying on your bed watching tv, like you're a hospital patient! Lovely grounds to walk in, and free taxi to town if it isn't nearby. Free WiFi would be a must too.

ninathenana Tue 05-Nov-13 12:51:14

We have visited several Warner sites over the past few years. I do feel the choice of menu has deteriorated and on some occasions the quality too. We like the fact that it's adults only. There are plenty of other places to go with the family. We have made friends and had a great time with 30 somethings on more than one occasion.
90% of the staff are lovely, rooms clean and comfy but definitely we would like two chairs in the room. Bath sheets rather than the piddly bath towels, a better selection of daytime activities. Great evening entertainment and a pleasant view. Oh and please a choice of pillows, I always take my memory foam one with me as I can't stand squishy pillows.

Woody Tue 05-Nov-13 13:02:31

We have enjoyed Warners many times and they provide everything we want. Nice comfy rooms, luxurious or standard whatever we prefer at the time preferably near to all the amenities so not far to walk. Good food is vital for my husband and we like the option of waiter service(for myself) and buffet for "him". The option of being active or not, whatever we feel like at the time.Plenty of nice comfy sofas for reading the newspaper or book or just to chat to complete strangers who become friends over the holiday. Good swimming pool and nice spa although that is not essential. Although saying that if there is a spa then I do like to treat myself, that is my one induslgence. Evening entertainment which we can watch or not, whatever we feel like at the time. Opportunity to take a coach trip out is welcome, so that both of us can enjoy it as neither of us have to drive.
Good helpful staff is a bonus.
My personal treats would be - room with a bath to relax in before meal possibly with a glass of wine. Where we live is on a main road so to actually go to bed and not hear any traffic is a treat in itself and to wake up in the morning and actually hear the birds singing.
Extras would be - treatment in Spa, cream tea and a cocktail or two!
Finally - not having to wash up!!

Pamaga Tue 05-Nov-13 13:41:46

An ABC of treats

Afternoon tea
Bath not shower for me
Coffee making kit
Desserts always a hit
Ease of parking for him
Fitness spa and gym
Great views to admire
Horses you can hire
Internet - no charge
Jacuzzis -extra large!
King size beds made up
Loyalty points paid up
Meals served any time
Now I'll end my rhyme
Or I will reach the 'Q' and won't know what to do!

kitty31 Tue 05-Nov-13 14:17:27

Got to be afternoon tea - sandwiches-scones with jam and cream - small cakes and a delicious cup of tea - can't beat it smile

glammanana Tue 05-Nov-13 14:26:28

We would like to visit an area where we can walk to local beauty spots without having to drive there.
Also the opportunity to have short courses for Art classes/cookery/yoga for beginners would be nice if you wanted to do your own thing,ideal to add into a short break & chance to make new friends.
Good service without it being intrusive and the surroundings resembling Downton Abbey would be nice.
Mr.glamma would be well catered for as long as there was good food in a typical English style as he does not go in for fiddley continental styles of presentation.

kittylester Tue 05-Nov-13 16:47:03

Comfy beds, huge towels, efficient showers, plump pillows, sea views, lovely food with GF options (or at least an understanding of GF), fresh milk. friendly staff, good parking, comfy chairs, relaxing areas.

All these things are present in our favourite hotel in Suffolk and not in the hotel where I am typing this! Well, actually the towels are ok! Understanding of GF appalling!

Never mind the scenery is good and we are going home tomorrow. smile

bamba Tue 05-Nov-13 20:32:52

I enjoy the pleasure of new experiences and that includes meeting new people, tasting delicious new dishes and savouring the flavours, enjoying new sights and sounds and generally remembering why it is so good to be alive.

Grannyknot Tue 05-Nov-13 22:27:49

Pamaga smile, here's more from me:

Peace-and-
Quiet days in which to
Roll over and sleep;
Stuff to see,
Trails to walk when we have to get
Up, not too early.
Velvet slippers and
Woollen throws.
X-treme sports (not!) - just catching
Zzzzzs.

Warners - just kidding!

Grannyknot Tue 05-Nov-13 22:28:17

I left out the "Y"! Over to someone else.