Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Warner Leisure Hotels what you like treating yourself to when on holiday in the UK NOW CLOSED

(112 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Nov-13 10:12:03

Warner Leisure Hotels has asked us to find out what gransnetters like treating themselves to when they’re on holiday in the UK.

Here's what Warner Leisure Hotels have to say, "At Warner we are great believers of getting involved in different activities and treating yourself. Whether that is a spot of afternoon tea with friends, a new dance workshop or watching a live band perform. Our guests have long been telling us that a holiday is all about a bit of 'me time' so we’d love to hear what you treat yourself to."

So, when you're on holiday in the UK, what do you like treating yourself to? Do you enjoy going for a nice swim somewhere? Do you use it as an excuse reason to be slightly more indulgent in your eating? Or are you a more adventurous type and like to treat yourself to something like a helicopter ride around the beautiful surrounding British countryside? Whatever it is, we'd love to hear about it!

Everyone who adds their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 M&S voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

sc00ter Thu 14-Nov-13 12:49:53

Love to treat myself to spa sessions - facials, etc and plenty of time to myself, you know just relax and do the things I love doing but don't get the time at home, e.g reading and enjoying each hour - not rushing from here to there all the time.
Love all the extras in your room - robes, chocolates - maybe a fruit basket in your room all adds to the feeling of being special. ;)

sylwright Wed 13-Nov-13 16:10:31

A perfect break would be in a lovely building, preferably in a nice area within walking distance of a village or gardens.

It has to have a very comfortable bed and enough pillows. Must be scrupulously clean. I prefer to be able to open the windows without encountering traffic noise or cooking smells.

Bathroom should be spotless and functional, with a bath as well as a shower. Any extras such as jacuzzi bath or tv in bathroom would be welcome.

Room has to have TV with a wide choice of channels. Tea and coffee making facilities, preferably real coffee. Bottled water and a fridge to keep it cold.

Food should be good restaurant standard, hopefully better.

Car parking essential and a welcoming reception and receptionist.

Traditional afternoon tea would be lovely, as well as a perfectly cooked breakfast with quality ingredients. Also a table at breakfast big enough to hold everything you need and not to close to other tables.

tanmack Tue 12-Nov-13 22:41:19

Forgot to say that enjoy taking photographs of the local area [smile}

tanmack Tue 12-Nov-13 22:39:14

I like a nice relaxing time when i am on holiday in the uk Good food and comfortable accommodation. I also enjoy visiting museums and art galleries. I also like spending time with my sisters and their families,

willsandco Tue 12-Nov-13 18:09:24

Mr Warner, bring it on, let us have some fun!
Lets just get away for a while,
eat well, drink well, laugh a lot
give us a reason to smile.

Your reputation goes before you
we know so many folk who choose
to enjoy your hotels around the country
- and what have they got to lose!

Keep up the good work, Warners
you bring a lot of happiness to folk!

Maggiemaybe Mon 11-Nov-13 18:41:54

And as for the treats I like most on trips away, I always enjoy a guided walk in the company of someone who knows the area - whether it's a cultural tour of Stratford or a Whitechapel Jack the Ripper tour. Indulgent meals, wine tasting, theatre/films. And pampering - facials, massages, saunas and steam rooms.

Maggiemaybe Mon 11-Nov-13 18:33:07

A quiet, spacious room with a big comfy bed, extra pillows, a couple of easy chairs and a table for my wine glass. Good lighting and a choice of flattering mirrors considerately placed for the short-sighted. No double sided mirror to shatter my illusions. Plenty of toiletry space. A deep bath and luxurious toiletries. A loo that flushes first time. A radio that can be switched on in the bathroom. A shower with a head that can be moved for rinsing hair over the bath. Everything clean and smelling fresh. Good food, friendly service, a well-stocked bar. No tinned mushrooms or dried out scrambled egg at breakfast - some kippers or smoked haddock instead please. Air con where appropriate, a lovely view, plenty of interesting walks and a well-kept and attractive town to visit. An ironing board and iron in case my DH needs to smarten up our outfits. Lifts that work. A file of instructions for the TV/heating etc, and particularly for the power shower/bath tap combo so I don't drench myself trying to work it out. A hospitality tray with a proper teapot and choice of tea - oh, and some hot chocolate. One of those lovely warm Double Tree cookies on arrival. A chocolate on my pillow. As you can see, I'm not fussy and I haven't given it much thought....

Grannieanne Sun 10-Nov-13 12:05:35

I like a big bed, windows that open, and a pleasant view out of them. I want good food, served by friendly and efficient staff who don't ask more than once if everything is ok. I don't want a room that a dog has slept in - even if the owners have been charged an exorbitant fee for a 'deep clean', or dogs in the lounge if that's the only place for the dogfree to sit after dinner. I especially want interesting walks in the surrounding area, and perhaps a bit of birdwatching, too.

stephgr Sun 10-Nov-13 02:36:28

I love complete quiet when I'm in bed so I can't hear other peoples TVs, children, traffic etc. That for me is a real treat because I'm always surrounded by niose.
I love really good food which is freshly cooked to order rather than, for example, eggs which have congealed after being on a buffet dish for hours. It's great to stay somewhere with lots of activities and facilities like swimming, exercise or live music but I'm also very happy to do very little.

KatyK Sat 09-Nov-13 18:36:05

I definitely like to be slightly more indulgent food wise. I am usually reasonably healthy throughout the year so when I am on hols I like to try different food. We try to choose places with pretty countryside nearby,
cosy pubs in winter and a nice hotel with comfy beds and varied breakfasts.
A hotel which serves afternoon teas is also a plus.

Rachand Sat 09-Nov-13 16:42:01

I like to have a couple of beauty treatments they have on site at the hotels we stay at, such as treating myself to a pedicure or facial - I just don't normally have time so when I am holiday enjoy a bit of pampering!

NanSue Fri 08-Nov-13 19:29:08

Lovely friendly polite staff that won't make me feel like a nuisance if I make a request or ask a question.
A big comfortable bed with crisp cotton sheets and a lovely bathroom where I can wallow to my hearts content to ease my weary bones.
Somewhere with nice surroundings to enjoy afternoon tea and ponder on the evening entertainment, perhaps a bit of Abba (cheesey I know but who doesn't 't love a bit of Abba?!
Good food ranging from simple to fine dining
This list is my idea of heaven. I can but dream!

mosnef Fri 08-Nov-13 16:55:15

A lovely warm welcome when you first walk in - a spotlessly clean comfortable room, nice view, fantastic food served in an attractive setting, served by friendly, helpful but not over the top staff - lovely walks and a variety of evening entertainment if you are interested but not pushed at you if you don't. In short, my idea of heaven.

Aurelia Fri 08-Nov-13 15:37:24

Some essentials to ensure that my stay was a treat, would be pleasant professional staff, interesting food, where possible locally sourced and featuring regional dishes.
A comfortable bed with plenty of pillows, large bath towels and fluffy robes, an efficient room service especially for breakfast.

A garden for quiet moments is always a treat, as are fresh flowers in the public spaces, and no music in the restaurant!

Extra treats would be a good quality afternoon tea, lashings of cocktails and nibbles for aperos, and a tea dance might be fun.

helmacd Fri 08-Nov-13 15:07:33

someone else making the bed, cooking the food, cleaning the shower/bath.....just someone else looking after me....

Galen Fri 08-Nov-13 12:06:47

I really like the old 'country house' atmosphere but with modern facilities such as central heating.
Disabled access and facilities such as wet rooms and/or walk-in showers
Are a must for me, along with disabled accessible gardens to explore in the summer, with plenty of seats to sit on.
Very few hotels seem to offer comfortable high chairs with arms that disabled people can sit in and get up from without assistance.

bishiebee Fri 08-Nov-13 11:48:20

a small glass of port and an open fire - after a long walk through crunchy autumn leaves

Grannyknot Fri 08-Nov-13 08:51:28

Just thought of something else, some time ago we were on a holiday when one of the activities on offer was a 'behind the scenes' tour of the hotel kitchens. That was a most enjoyable treat, which started as we joined the staff in the veg garden as they selected veg for the soup of the day, and followed by the kitchen tour.

Grannyknot Fri 08-Nov-13 08:42:54

Matthew1 that's a good point re the "mocktails". I went to a business launch a couple of weeks ago for the "Dry January" campaign and the non alcoholic drinks were stupendous (I tried them all) served in tall frosted glasses with all the trimmings. Flavours like ginger and lime, peppermint and licorice etc. They were most refreshing and had a kick of their own.

Matthew1 Fri 08-Nov-13 08:33:26

A huge bed that I can get lost in. Make sure the mattress is comfortable.
A lovely view from my balcony or patio and a place to sit outside. Must face the sun.
A warm bathroom that is not a cupboard and lots of BIG, SOFT towels, with a tray of smellies.
Large grounds with plenty of regular seating (I cant walk very far) with good views even if its just the nice grounds.
Good, fresh food, with low calorie options so that you can indulge now and again without feeling too guilty.
A large, warm, lounge area where I can read and drink nice coffee.
Non alcoholice cocktails please for those of us who do not drink but want to join in the fun - nothing nice about a glass of orange juice when everyone else has something exciting.

pauline42 Fri 08-Nov-13 01:52:30

A really special treat for me if I was on a Warner's break would be the chance to participate in a candlelight restorative yoga class one evening - it would be a wonderfully relaxing and soothing experience

Secondly I would so like an opportunity to sign up to play a friendly game tennis one morning with other like-minded guests

And thirdly - the afternoon tea experience, complete with scones, fancy pastries served on delicate bone china......with a pianist playing softly in the background.

And as the song goes......"these are a few of my favourite things" .....and, if one or all of them were to be implemented then it would bring an enjoyable leisure break into the realms of a superbly satisfying and pampering treat!

newist Thu 07-Nov-13 21:44:26

A treat for me would be my breakfast brought by room service and later on a soothing massage

Gillr Thu 07-Nov-13 20:55:28

Food and facilities in room need to be clean and relaxed. A good sized heated pool with lovely places to walk and local beauty spots. Dogs allowed in some rooms.

Grannyknot Thu 07-Nov-13 17:45:55

High tea at the local best place = de-finite-ly dahling.

The opportunity to go on a special outing locally - we went on the "Watercresse Belle" (train) a while ago, and had a 'silver service' 4 course meal, it was wonderful.

And I do like a nice massage.

MiceElf Thu 07-Nov-13 17:43:13

Guided walks are always an excellent idea - even better with a pub stop at the end and incorporating an historic site or building too.