Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Warner Leisure Hotels what you like treating yourself to when on holiday in the UK NOW CLOSED

(111 Posts)
POGS Mon 04-Nov-13 13:43:28

I like the opportunity to mix and meet with different people and hopefully have some fun.

I like the ethos of a Warner Holiday but I must admit I have never taken one. It appeals to me as I am never happier than when I am participating in eating, drinking and having a good time. I am certainly a people person and I do like to get into the spirit of any entertainment provided at the venue I have booked with. I would like to try the various sporting activities too, providing they are suitable for a poor old soul with health issuessmile.

On a break I like to visit places of interest such as museums, churches, country houses. It is most enjoyable to see different parts of our country and a break away does freshen up a relatively quiet life for the good. A quality, comfortable base is essential and obviously good food and nice surroundings only enhance the joy of the stay. I value the chance to 'be waited on' and a traditional B&B sometimes just isn't a treat, unlike a hotel or a complex such as Warners.

I note that your properties are in quiet areas, plenty of parking and have special entertainment breaks. Actually, what's not to like, WHY HAVEN'T I BOOKED ONE ????

DO YOU BY ANY CHANCE WANT A SECRET SHOPPER? grin

grannyactivist Mon 04-Nov-13 13:35:46

I expect good food, clean rooms and excellent service to come as standard in any hotel. What would make a hotel special for me and my husband is that they have a range of activities on offer in and around the hotel. I wouldn't even mind paying a little extra for trips out or themed events.

FlicketyB Mon 04-Nov-13 13:29:54

When we have one of our short country house hotel holidays it is usually only two or three nights and we are looking for 100% relaxation. This means what we want is similar to what is said in the two threads above.

We choose hotels that are rural, small, under 20 rooms, in an old property; converted manor house or similar. We like large bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, not just a shower, I love my baths. Roomy bedrooms simply furnished, vast quantities of swathed curtains and a plethora of cushions on the bed really irritate me. Really quiet with no on site organised evening entertainment, beyond pianist in lounge or dining room for an hour every evening.

Good 'real' food. Proper artisan bacon and sausages. We sometimes stay in a B&B in York where the landlady auditioned all the local butchers before deciding which bacon and sausages to serve her guests.

Dining room with good quality food simply presented with no unordered tasters, or fiddly extras served during the meal or with the coffee. No chairs swathed in fabric and ties. Unobtrusive waiters.

Not bothered with onsite activities we always thoroughly research an area before we visit so know what we want to visit/do, although a display of leaflets in reception that might draw our attention to something we hadn't discovered is always helpful.

We usually take these breaks between October and May so want wood stoves and comfortable quiet lounge areas.

Charleygirl Mon 04-Nov-13 12:46:13

Good, fresh, wholesome food, no musak or even music in the restaurant. A lovely, quiet restful place with a comfortable bed and a shower room not built for a dwarf.

If there is music, let it be in one area and not foisted on everybody.

If I was going on my own I would not like my room overlooking the bins just as my table in the dining room should not be close to the kitchen entrance. Like another, I do not want to be asked every 10 minutes if everything is okay. Believe me, you would know long before that if standards were not high.

rosesarered Mon 04-Nov-13 11:50:13

A calm, pleasant atmosphere [a bit in the elegant Country House style] because if I can't have that at home [and I can't!] then that's what I look for on holiday.Large, attractively laid out grounds to stroll in. A beautiful dining room with tables not too close to others [a pet hate] I don't want to hear other peoples conversations in my ear.Good food [doesn't have to be fine dining] just fresh and wholesome.Attentive but not too attentive staff, not always asking how everything is [just the once will do.]Staff who will sort out problems fast [an extra pillow when you need it not the next day etc.]All rooms to be very clean and fresh smelling.A variety of courses to participate in, not just for ladies, something that husbands would like to do [they don't all play golf after all.]Nor do they want to make candles.A very well stocked bar, we don't all want a small sherry or a whisky........ that means a good bartender that knows how to mix a cocktail.No musak in the lifts or anywhere else. Only live music. Perfect!!!

MargaretX Mon 04-Nov-13 11:01:06

First what I don't want! Noisy neighbours and a gym, swimming pool and sauna. Waste of money for me.

I like a room with a view, to myself, and if possible something cultural like an Art gallery or a classical concert or just a nice well looked after town with good food and shops.
Tell me where that is available and I will deifinitely come to stay.

Oldgreymare Mon 04-Nov-13 10:53:36

.A room with a view, preferably on the sunny side, and the ability to sit outside and enjoy it (balcony/patio etc).
.Indulgent food.
.A spotlessly clean bathroom to myself.
. Set in an area where it is possible to explore lovely gardens, houses, countryside, coastal areas.....
I don't want much, do I?

merlotgran Mon 04-Nov-13 10:27:30

Good food, comfortable bed, walking and visiting well known gardens.

janeainsworth Mon 04-Nov-13 10:26:27

Good food and live music, preferably with dancing smile
Good food is the most important thing. No point paying to stay somewhere if the food isn't at least as good as what you would have at home.
And I have high standards.

Galen Mon 04-Nov-13 10:19:57

Good food combined with an excellent beauty salon and gym!

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Nov-13 10:12:03

Warner Leisure Hotels has asked us to find out what gransnetters like treating themselves to when they’re on holiday in the UK.

Here's what Warner Leisure Hotels have to say, "At Warner we are great believers of getting involved in different activities and treating yourself. Whether that is a spot of afternoon tea with friends, a new dance workshop or watching a live band perform. Our guests have long been telling us that a holiday is all about a bit of 'me time' so we’d love to hear what you treat yourself to."

So, when you're on holiday in the UK, what do you like treating yourself to? Do you enjoy going for a nice swim somewhere? Do you use it as an excuse reason to be slightly more indulgent in your eating? Or are you a more adventurous type and like to treat yourself to something like a helicopter ride around the beautiful surrounding British countryside? Whatever it is, we'd love to hear about it!

Everyone who adds their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 M&S voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ