Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

How do you like to reward your grandchildren? Tell LEGO® and win a £300 voucher NOW CLOSED

(132 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 24-Jul-15 13:19:44

The team at LEGO® would like to hear about the treats and rewards you give your grandchildren.

How do you like to reward or treat your grandchildren? Do you treat them with toys or maybe a day out? How often do you like to treat them? Are treats and rewards saved for special occasions or do you give them one every time you see them? How does treating/rewarding your grandchildren compare with how you treated/rewarded your children?

However you like to treat/reward your grandchildren, LEGO® would love to hear about it!

Please share your thoughts on this thread, and be in with the opportunity to win a £300 Love2Shop Voucher. Every gransnetter who posts a comment will be entered into the prize draw where one gransnetter will win the £300 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Please note: LEGO® and the LEGO® logo are trademarks of the LEGO® Group.
©2015 The LEGO® Group.

Alea Fri 24-Jul-15 15:12:47

I love buying them books, especially books I will enjoy reading to them. "My Granny's a Pirate" is popular with DGS2 as is "10 Little Princesses "( as he solemnly announced "When I grow up I'm going to be a Princess")

"Fluff the Farting Fish "(thank you Gransnet! ) is especially popular with DGS1.

Can you guess? I am working on being a subversive Granny !!

Grannyknot Fri 24-Jul-15 17:33:23

My little grandson is just one year old but already loves books, so that's how I treat or reward him. He is an only grandchild on this side and the first one for 15 years on the other side, so - he gets treats all the time (we have to stop). He is rewarded by all four his grandparents with frequent cuddles and kisses.

I treat him in much the same way as I treated my own children - books, reading and cuddles. smile

Tegan Fri 24-Jul-15 18:25:18

I don't really treat them as such. What I do try to do if they're showing an interest in something that isn't a computer game or something to do with Superheroes sad is buy them something relevant to that eg one of them has been given a rather difficult colouring book so I specially bought some colouring pencils that would make it easier to colour in. We do go to MacDonalds once a year and I have taken them to see a pantomime in the past. Also buy them dvd's of films they have seen at the cinema that I want to watch blush so we can watch them together.

chloe1984 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:32:13

When they were younger I used to buy them a comic , some sweeties and perhaps a little craft kit always made sure it was posted in a little parcel as they used to love getting a surprise from the postman. I always accompanied this with a short note telling why they were receiving it i.e. Taking part in a play at nursery or perhaps tidying their toys up for a week. As they have gotten older I send money still with an accompanying letter which I illustrate with the 'funny' things their Graddad and I have been up to like the day I rescued a pigeon from the garden pond! I try to only reward them when they have done something which has been a challenge for them but often just send them money because I love them and I know as they are now at boarding school they like the letters and the money comes in handy for take away pizza.

Coolgran65 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:35:39

A trip to the park which is 10 minutes distant, with sandwiches for a picnic lunch. Costs nothing.

Last week I bought them (ages 8 and 5) a pair of velcro bats and a velcro ball to play 'catch ball'. It cost £1.99. Play in the park, then catch ball, then back to play on the swings/slide etc before home. Picnic and catch ball, or football, breaks it up and we get to spend longer out of doors.

Running around and playing, meeting other children, means they bicker less, cooperate and when they get back they're happy have dinner and watch a cartoon waiting for mum or dad to pick them up. They

Big monetary treats are for birthdays/Christmas. We don't regularly spend money on 'things' for them. Perhaps on a day out they get an ice cream but no toys.

They each got £10 from us (Granny and Granda) when they left this morning for 2 weeks holiday abroad.

lockwoodisbored Fri 24-Jul-15 20:55:11

I would like to say books and educational things... If I'm honest: Chocolates!

maci234 Fri 24-Jul-15 21:01:33

usually with a small lego toy

ygtbiitwi Fri 24-Jul-15 21:01:36

I treat my grandchildren with universal gift vouchers; otherwise known as bank notes or cash, and I advise them not to spend a penny unless there's a good sale on with at least 50% off so as to double the value of their treat. I only tend to treat them at holiday times and special occasions so as not to spoil them, and that's the same way I treated my own children too.

YvonneBradley Fri 24-Jul-15 21:14:55

My grandson loves to save his small amount of spending money-given for good behaviour and then spends it on a large toy.I firmly believe in rewarding good behaviour and ignoring naughty behaviour.Like everything it works most times but not always!

BarbaraTingey Fri 24-Jul-15 21:46:54

We have just one grandchild, Sammy who is three years old and we care for him one or two days a week. His favourite treats revolve around animals so we visit farms, wild life parks, zoos and he also loves nature trails and pond dipping.

Lorelei Fri 24-Jul-15 21:59:56

I tend to buy interesting and/or educational books as treats. I try to have discussions on the books and topics, and where possible go outside for nature-related lessons that are also great fun. Treats are what you make them, and as long as the child is enjoying it, then I don't see why aspects of learning can't be incorporated into many different areas.

Penstemmon Fri 24-Jul-15 22:10:19

A treat should be just that something special to make memories with... but all too often it turns out to be a 2 minute wonder (ice cream, a comic etc) that is soon forgotten.

My mum got my children a treat that has lasted and is now used by my grandchildren and was, even though bought for her grandchildren, used by her sons (my brothers) too! It must have been about the early 80s and my mum saved the tokens from some cereal packets and sent them off for a 'Street Set' of Lego. My girls were still pre-schoolers but their uncles were in their early 20s and enjoyed constructing the shops and buildings for their nieces.

The set was well used all through their childhood often with the addition of dolls, trolls , cars and animals. Various kits were added over time on my daughters' birthdays and at Christmases. Eventually the girls went off to university, got homes of their own and then children of their own. Many toys were sent to charity shops but a few favourites; a hobby horse, teddies and of course the Lego were kept.

Now when my granddaughters and grandsons come here the Lego is out and used again. It sometimes includes new bits brought from their homes but is still well used and when my daughters and I are helping the kids to put it away we can remember their Nana, the excitement of the parcel arriving, their uncles putting it together and the fun that this box of bricks has given three generations of girls and boys. A real treat!

TTTA2015 Fri 24-Jul-15 23:36:15

When our grandson has worked hard at school ie good end of term report, that is when treat time comes into play, we love to give him books, he now likes to read to nanny or grandad at bedtime so I usually ask daddy which books he has taken from the library that way we know he will find it interesting.

When he was old enough (4/5) 1 of daddies Lego containers were brought down from the loft which introduced him to the bricks, now he is adding to that collection with his own favourite pieces. As we do not get to see him as much as we would like about once every 6 weeks there is usually a 'treat' box of Lego hiding in his collection for him to discover. There are still 3 further containers in the loft, they will come down when he has grown into them but we are sure he will class them as a treat, especially as they used to belong to daddy.

When he does visit we always ensure his favourite sweets/biscuits are in the treat tin, which he knows where it's kept in the kitchen!!

maggie1234 Sat 25-Jul-15 08:34:01

I don't see my grandchildren very often as they live further afield so I generally only give birthday and Christmas presents. But I also try to give books suitable to their age group, Lego sets and items that might challenge them such as a science kit. If I am visiting I may bake a cake but do not give sweets or sugary things. I believe I am treating my grandchildren very similar to the way I treated my children but as I am not with them all the time I don't get to know what are their favourite must-haves.

pussycats Sat 25-Jul-15 08:58:43

I look after my 3 year old granddaughter almost every day and she loves to help me round the house. I reward her with lots of cuddles, sweet treats and recording her favourite programme Peppa pig

Greyduster Sat 25-Jul-15 09:02:39

We treat our grandson for good school reports and other special achievements - he recently had a 'contribution to the community' award from our local football club. If he gets to choose the treat himself, it is usually a Lego kit (currently Hero Factory figures!), or some item of sports kit. We give books on a regular basis, but they are not usually regarded as treats. We pick him up from school two days a week and on one of those days, depending on the weather, we will go to the park for an ice cream! It is Grandad and I who get the treat really - we get to spend time with him!

maclinks Sat 25-Jul-15 09:11:54

I buy mini figurines for my grandsons castle set, if he has been helpful good or kind he gets a reward sticker on a chart when he gets to 10 stars he gets to chose a lucky dip wrapped gift from my jar, things I know he will like

annodomini Sat 25-Jul-15 09:37:07

All my GC are old enough to choose their own treats. Nowadays it is sufficient to take them shopping and set a limit to the cost. Recently it's been those rather grotesque Lego 'Heroes' which they dismantle and re-construct in different forms. For the about-to-be 10-year-old I have bought a goal net for the garden. As he wants to be a goalie, little brother will have to be the striker.

vegasmags Sat 25-Jul-15 10:34:30

Although I do buy little things from time to time, I think my 'treat' consists of giving them my undivided attention. I was a single parent (still am, in fact) for many years and looking back wish I had been able to spend more time doing things with my DC, rather than doing things for them. So whatever the current interests of the DGC I wholeheartedly join in for as long as they like. With the baby, the favourite game at the moment is building towers of bricks for her to demolish grin

mrshumphreyjr Sat 25-Jul-15 10:47:50

Spending time with them is for me the most rewarding for them and us, reading and singing...sometimes together

whenim64 Sat 25-Jul-15 10:48:52

My 6 year old grandsons enjoy a treat of going for tea in a local cafe every couple of weeks when I pick them up from school. The owner knows them now and greets them with the acknowledgement that they must have done something kind to earn their treat. There are table top wooden games like noughts and crosses for them to play and the remains of their cakes are put in little boxes for them to take home. A nice experience that they look forward to.

I pick up children's books and DVDs to have ready as treats for the younger grandchildren and keep their favourite ice lollies in my freezer. They don't have treats every time I see them, just intermittently. Sometimes, just spending time together is the treat, having pretend games and chatting whilst mum or dad gets on with chores.

Oldest grandson gets money every now and again, when I know he is going somewhere with his friends from school and would appreciate the cash.

As a child, I don't remember having many regular treats - a trip to the pantomime at Christmas, ice creams when on holiday, picnics in the summer, but parents and grandparents took the view that we should be seen and not heard, so no rewards for good behaviour. Wednesday was sweetie day - four of us shared bags of toffees - we got 4 ozs each and that was it for the week. My own children had a sweetie day, too - certainly no treats on a daily basis, but occasional ones like a trip to the cinema or a drive out for Sunday lunch with cousins.

When did treats become an almost daily expectation? Some children routinely get treats of sweets or little toys after school or whilst out shopping.

paulinecnd Sat 25-Jul-15 11:32:22

Cooking when it's rainy like yesterday is a treat for good Grandchildren. We made gingerbread men.
If it's fine, a trip to the country park.

chrissie13 Sat 25-Jul-15 11:35:25

Often with small toys or books, and sometimes trips out.

tanith Sat 25-Jul-15 12:35:01

My grandchildren's most favourite treat has always been a sleep-over, they loved it even when they just slept on the floor on a blow up bed, we used to do a cooked breakfast and all sat around the kitchen table chatting and planning what we'd do that day.
Now apart from the newest one they are mostly grown up so sleep-overs are a thing of the past, now I treat them to dinner out for their birthdays or sometimes we'll have a family BBQ like today as one of them is 18.