Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your feel-good stories reminiscing about Lollipop men and women and you could win a £300 Love2Shop voucher NOW CLOSED

(77 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Apr-16 16:48:23

For many communities, Lollipop men and ladies are a thing of the past. They were part of the community and spent every day helping children and families cross the road. Churchill Insurance wants to introduce extra lollipop men and women across Great Britain to help keep our children safe. Churchill is interested in hearing your stories about ‘Lollipoppers’. Did you used to have a Lollipop man or lady in your local community? Did you know him or her to say hi to? As a child, did you feel safer having them there? Please share any stories you have with Churchill below.

Lucy Brooksbank, Head of Marketing at Churchill, added: "Lollipoppers are the stalwarts of our communities, national treasures who bring fun and joy to everyone’s school run, as well as importantly keeping children safe. Churchill looks out for customer's best interests, so what better way to demonstrate that than by supporting our Lollipoppers and taking action to keep them on our streets? With child pedestrian casualties during the school run still an issue in the UK, we want to put 50 Lollipoppers on school crossings. We want people from across the UK, whether they are a parent or just concerned about a local crossing to nominate their schools and help to keep children safe during the school run.”

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 Love2Shop voucher.

Make sure your school has a chance of receiving Lollipopper funding by nominating at www.churchill.com/lollipoppers

Full terms & conditions at www.churchill.com/lollipoppers

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Esskay Wed 18-May-16 16:13:08

At the local primary school where I worked we had the most lovely lollipop lady called Dot. Dot only recently retired after 35 years of lollipopping service. She was wonderful and the children were most intrigued by her magic 'wand' - she would use this to set off the yellow beacons at either end of the village to warn the traffic that she would be manning the crossing at the start and end of the school day. Most adults were also intrigued by the magic 'wand' too - she waved it under the beacon and it suddenly came on. It was only after I'd been at the school for several months that I asked how it all worked and Dot told me that it was cleverly done by a magnet in the end of the 'wand' - the magnet made the switch connect and the lights came on. I was sworn to secrecy never to reveal to the children how it worked! Dot was a real character and is greatly missed - sadly she has not been replaced.