Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Soreen how you ‘treat’ your grandchildren after school for a chance to win a £300 voucher! NOW CLOSED

(103 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 07-Mar-17 14:47:09

We know that for many gransnetters, the school run doesn’t end when your own children are all grown up, and that many of you have the opportunity to pick grandchildren up from school on a regular or ad hoc basis. Between getting home from school and dinner time, grandchildren often get peckish and as a grandparent you probably want to treat them, but also don’t want to get into trouble with their parents for giving them unhealthy snacks. Soreen would like to find out what healthier treats you give to your grandchildren after school.

Here’s what Soreen has to say: “We know how hard it is to find a snack that’s both nutritious and tasty, but Soreen Lunchbox Loaves strike that perfect balance. Available in Malt and Banana flavour with a satisfyingly squidgy texture, Lunchbox Loaves are individually wrapped, low in fat, contain only 95 calories and provide a source of fibre. Perfect for an after school treat.”

So how to do you ‘treat’ your grandchildren after school? Do you do some baking as a fun activity and maybe sneak some hidden veg into the brownie mix? Or perhaps you make ice lollies in the summer out of juice and fruit?

Please share the heathier treats that you give to your grandchildren after school and you will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thank you and good luck!

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

tanith Tue 07-Mar-17 16:37:33

My granddaughter often pops in on her way home from school as we live very close to the school , she usually needs the loo first then water and will have either a handful of nuts or sugarsnap peas, she will eat them by the bag load. She is not a sweet eater so I'm happy she'll often ask for healthy stuff as a treat.

nanaK54 Tue 07-Mar-17 17:18:35

It's usually water and grapes here, or water and cubed cheese and apple

Riverwalk Tue 07-Mar-17 18:23:48

Houmous & carrot batons
Blueberries & cheddar cubes
Jaffa Cakes & mini Magnums!

My DC loved malt loaf - I could just eat a nice chewy slice slathered in butter!

Grannyknot Tue 07-Mar-17 22:08:33

When my little 3 year old grandson comes home from the childminder, it is often with a request for "Cheese sandwich Granny make".smile

GrannyA11i Wed 08-Mar-17 15:58:14

Mine love little plates of cheese and fruit - grapes, blueberries and raisins! Excuse me now as there is a malt loaf in the cupboard which is now calling my name!

callkiki Wed 08-Mar-17 17:59:37

I fix them celery filled with peanut butter, crackers with cheese, and we do a lot of baking of fruit muffins and I try to keep them healthy. When in season, we eat a lot of watermelon and cantaloupe.

gillybob Wed 08-Mar-17 18:32:40

With mine its not what treat you offer, it is how you offer it ! They are all carrot mad, but insist that they are cut into precise little batons or they "don't taste the same grandma". They also love cubes of cheese, apple boats and still frozen peas, which they steal help themselves to from the pan before they get chance to defrost/warm ready to eat. Mind you the eldest granddaughter has got a "thing" about bread and butter too.

ellenemery Wed 08-Mar-17 20:52:44

My stepgrandson loves to nibble on grapes while he stands in the kitchen watching me prepare his tea. The thing is he opens a new carton peels back the film lid and just keeps nibbling one at a time. when I go to put some in his packed lunch box the next day there is a sorry looking bunch of grapes that is all stalk and very little fruit.

harrigran Thu 09-Mar-17 09:07:05

Apple smiles or fruit flakes and a drink of juice, when they were tiny they loved those little packets of cheese biscuits. I love Soreen but can't give it to GC because it is so moreish that they would not eat their savoury meal later.

rosesarered Thu 09-Mar-17 13:13:36

Always a glass of milk and a slice of buttered toast or digestive biscuits, things that we always have a good supply of!

aggie Thu 09-Mar-17 16:01:01

We find Sorreen too claggy and sweet

Ana Thu 09-Mar-17 16:49:16

I used to love Harvey's Malt Loaf! Don't think my GC would like fruit loaf at all, they prefer savoury snacks - one of them loves dry melba toast.

joannapiano Thu 09-Mar-17 18:28:50

Our DGC over the age of five, like individual packets of salted popcorn. Too much of a choke hazard with the little ones.

Purpledaffodil Thu 09-Mar-17 20:50:07

Have a small snack bar In the back of the car. Favourites vary; apples, crisps, tortilla chips and currently Marks and Spencer shortbread. Infants have their lunch at 11:40 and he is very hungry by the end of school. Luckily he's not a greedy child and I can leave him to select a snack for the drive back to my house. Friday is sweetie day as it was for my own children. Sometimes he chooses fruit like strawberries or raspberries, at other times it's sherbet dib dabs. And he hates chocolate and ice cream, so neither is a treat!

Elrel Thu 09-Mar-17 21:43:53

DGD loves a very quick chicken noodle soup, it happens to be a Slimming World recipe. She is also keen on Slimming World chips. Very specific tastes, grapes must be green and eaten in a baguette with Cornish Brie, not French! Salami must be Milano!
Older DGSs are keen on pepperami and slices of ham or Jarlsberg cheese grabbed from the fridge while passing. The foodie one is now at university where he's discovered Pxt Nxxdles! Oh dear!

GG62 Fri 10-Mar-17 10:57:45

I pick my grandson up from school 3 days a week with his 2 year old brother in tow. They both love Metcalf's skinny popcorn

PCally Sat 11-Mar-17 01:14:23

They love Kinder Eggs, Thai crisps, chocolate digestives, custard cremes, and Walker shortbread butter biscuits. They drink milk or squash with snacks.

dirgni Sat 11-Mar-17 09:26:37

My granddaughter just loves tomatoes, I always leave some out of the fridge on the worktop and when she's here, I just look round and they are all gone, just an empty bowl!!!!

Disgruntled Sat 11-Mar-17 09:37:09

My granddaughter loves Marmite on water biscuits and fruit, especially berries. In summer I make lollipops from berries in apple juice.

tillysouth Sat 11-Mar-17 09:37:25

Lettuce, cheese and grapes followed by a jammy dodger

otherwiseknownasGrandma Sat 11-Mar-17 09:58:43

My granddaughter loves fruit so she usually asks for blueberries or a pear. In Summer she loves to pick her own raspberries from the garden. And she might have the occasional chocolate biscuit too!

GrannyR19 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:00:18

My two GC love fruit and milk or water after school. Sometimes M&S popcorn or Soreen banana loaf bar or a couple of Jaffa cakes. If really hungry brown toast and banana. Granny's pancakes.

marpau Sat 11-Mar-17 10:31:33

Always fruit for my two usually sliced apple and grapes with cucumber batons. they only have soreen or biscuits at meal times

GeminiJen Sat 11-Mar-17 10:43:52

My grandsons often have Soreen lunchbox loaves in their packed lunch...and love them. After school though, it's a glass of milk, usually with cubes of Red Leicester cheese, apples and grapes for one, and a glass of apple juice, usually with blueberries and Brazil nuts for the other