Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Soreen how you ‘treat’ your grandchildren after school for a chance to win a £300 voucher! NOW CLOSED

(104 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 07-Mar-17 14:47:09

We know that for many gransnetters, the school run doesn’t end when your own children are all grown up, and that many of you have the opportunity to pick grandchildren up from school on a regular or ad hoc basis. Between getting home from school and dinner time, grandchildren often get peckish and as a grandparent you probably want to treat them, but also don’t want to get into trouble with their parents for giving them unhealthy snacks. Soreen would like to find out what healthier treats you give to your grandchildren after school.

Here’s what Soreen has to say: “We know how hard it is to find a snack that’s both nutritious and tasty, but Soreen Lunchbox Loaves strike that perfect balance. Available in Malt and Banana flavour with a satisfyingly squidgy texture, Lunchbox Loaves are individually wrapped, low in fat, contain only 95 calories and provide a source of fibre. Perfect for an after school treat.”

So how to do you ‘treat’ your grandchildren after school? Do you do some baking as a fun activity and maybe sneak some hidden veg into the brownie mix? Or perhaps you make ice lollies in the summer out of juice and fruit?

Please share the heathier treats that you give to your grandchildren after school and you will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thank you and good luck!

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

Annie29 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:56:07

They like to have a glass of milk.They will both eat a banana and yoghurts.sometimes as a treat a mini milky way bar.

Nanalou Sat 11-Mar-17 11:21:28

I often pick up my Grandson from play school, his favorite snack is a bowl of Strawberries.

inishowen Sat 11-Mar-17 11:29:23

I admire all you grans that feed your grandchildren such healthy food. Unfortunately I give my 5 year old granddaughter an ice cream when she comes here after school. It's always been her treat and I don't think twice a week does any harm.

dahlia08 Sat 11-Mar-17 11:44:31

Once a week, we collect our grandsons from infant school and nursery. On the way home give them some snacks such as grapes, apple, strawberries or a piece of hot cross bun. I would have prepared dinner or the evening or the whole family. It is different every week. I cook from scratch. E.g. Roast chicken or salmon or mackerel with toast or mashed potatoes, roast carrots, parsnips and broccoli. Sometimes rice /pitta bread and chicken curry with veg like cabbage, kale, cauliflower or pulses. For afters sometimes fresh fruit....Apple/mango/pineapple or Apple pie with ice cream or custard.

rocketstop Sat 11-Mar-17 12:01:14

At my house, the Teddy bears come out, and as we all know, Teddy bears only eat healthy things. So, my Grandaughters like to sit around with the Teddies, I get special little boxes or plates and they dole out raisins, blueberries and grapes to themselves and the Teddies , sometimes the Teddies are allowed a biscuit, but only if the girls say the Teddies have been really good !!

seemercloud Sat 11-Mar-17 13:14:58

As others have said, blueberries, strawberries cut lengthwise into quarters, cheese cubes and for a special treat, apple flapjack.

Nandalot Sat 11-Mar-17 13:37:26

A mini pack-up. My two grandchildren love some mini sandwiches, nuts and raisins and a juice when they come in from school. But these must be served in the lunch boxes that they used to take to pre-school. They have us on a string!

Coppernob Sat 11-Mar-17 14:11:29

A small 'naked' toasted teacake or crumpet, ie no butter or jam.

paulinecnd Sat 11-Mar-17 14:15:11

We have found that a little snack at !5.30 is not enough for our very hungry Grandchild. He may start with a banana. Despite having had a cooked school lunch, we give him a bowl of pasta with a homemade tomato and lentil sauce, or in the hot weather, a bowl of couscous with tomatoes and veg in.
Only after this is he allowed to have more fruit, biscuits, malt loaf etc.
He does not go home to Mummy until 6pm, by which time it is getting late for a meal at home, which is why this routine suits our family well.

jenpax Sat 11-Mar-17 14:41:36

My little GS lives with me as does his mother I do all the pick ups from his infant school he likes a tortilla wrap with cheese and cucumber sticks when he comes in and either a bowl of grapes or a couple of kiwi fruit he likes watered apple juice or a banana milk shake with almond milk to drink

Molly10 Sat 11-Mar-17 15:15:59

It really depends on how hungry they are as to what they will ask for. Could be milk and biscuit, yogurt, a little cheese sandwich or a lollypop maybe in the summer.

I love a piece of malt love with real butter.

MB1001 Sat 11-Mar-17 15:24:23

Fruit, crisps and a bit of junk food if they're lucky!

Elizabeth180 Sat 11-Mar-17 15:25:35

I do a 'pic nic' for our two small grandchildren when we've collected them from school. It's usually a grated cheese sandwich with carrot or cucumber sticks, followed by grapes. Or sometimes a snack bar as well as the grapes.

fmonson Sat 11-Mar-17 16:25:18

I just believe being able to talk to them and listen to what theyu want to share is the biggest treat for both of us

nanarossi Sat 11-Mar-17 18:10:58

A couple of breadsticks, cherry tomatoes and a piece of fruit. Plus an occasional treat of a couple of "grandad's biscuits" (Rich teas)

wondergran Sat 11-Mar-17 18:42:09

My little GS has allergy to eggs so misses out on cake during friends' birthday parties plus cake and custard as part of his school meal. Thankfully, we have found a wonderful cafe near to his school that sells delicious egg free cake. For a special treat we pop in there on a Friday and he can enjoy a slice of delicious chocolate cake. On a normal day it's yogurt, cheese, dips, breads sticks or fruit.

muskrat Sat 11-Mar-17 21:19:38

Our two grandkids are rather fussy eaters, alas. But they love Graddad's pancakes with lemon and a sprinkle of sugar, milkshakes, vegetable soup on chilly days, fruit yogurts, bananas and of course, Soreen Banana Minis.

hopezibah Sat 11-Mar-17 21:41:55

Granny loves giving grandson J peanut butter on bananas or apples - he loves it!

MountainAsh Mon 13-Mar-17 12:10:37

One six year old loves Soreen and cheese with a glass of milk, the other two, aged 16 months and 30 months love all kinds of fruit and cubes of cheddar cheese.

mandy6270 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:52:48

My grandson has all sorts , we like to keep our options open so he doesn't become bored with any one food. We have warm things in winter from crumpets and some fruit after to the summer where we have home made ice cream lollies, it really does depend on his mood for that day and of course he is allowed treats that's what grandmas are for right?

Larnipoo42 Tue 14-Mar-17 13:25:11

My grandson adores malt loaf, hot cross buns and flapjacks with a glass of milk (or a piece of fruit)

maryandbuzz1 Tue 14-Mar-17 15:17:20

I waiver between sweet and savoury. We sometimes have homemade fruit lollies or a handful of raisins. Sometimes we have rolled ham with squirty cheese through the middle or cubes of cheese. I try to make it as varied as possible.

KAKADU Tue 14-Mar-17 15:21:10

When I have picked them up from school they get changed and then we go on an adventure walk to identify flora and fauna. I always take a plentiful supply of grapes and a nice bottle of fresh orange. By the time that we get home they are ready for a nice healthy home cooked meal with their five a day.

janeyf Tue 14-Mar-17 15:21:23

I give them a pound coin and a kit-kat each

hartley123 Tue 14-Mar-17 15:38:33

peanut butter on toast