Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Soreen how you ‘treat’ your grandchildren after school for a chance to win a £300 voucher! NOW CLOSED

(104 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 07-Mar-17 14:47:09

We know that for many gransnetters, the school run doesn’t end when your own children are all grown up, and that many of you have the opportunity to pick grandchildren up from school on a regular or ad hoc basis. Between getting home from school and dinner time, grandchildren often get peckish and as a grandparent you probably want to treat them, but also don’t want to get into trouble with their parents for giving them unhealthy snacks. Soreen would like to find out what healthier treats you give to your grandchildren after school.

Here’s what Soreen has to say: “We know how hard it is to find a snack that’s both nutritious and tasty, but Soreen Lunchbox Loaves strike that perfect balance. Available in Malt and Banana flavour with a satisfyingly squidgy texture, Lunchbox Loaves are individually wrapped, low in fat, contain only 95 calories and provide a source of fibre. Perfect for an after school treat.”

So how to do you ‘treat’ your grandchildren after school? Do you do some baking as a fun activity and maybe sneak some hidden veg into the brownie mix? Or perhaps you make ice lollies in the summer out of juice and fruit?

Please share the heathier treats that you give to your grandchildren after school and you will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thank you and good luck!

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

rosemac6 Tue 14-Mar-17 15:39:58

They usually want home made soup with a crusty roll and ice cream and chocolate sauce

mooota1514 Tue 14-Mar-17 15:41:30

I fix them celery filled with peanut butter, crackers with cheese, and we do a lot of baking of fruit muffins and I try to keep them healthy. When in season, we eat a lot of watermelon and cantaloupe.

jelleng Tue 14-Mar-17 15:52:47

My treats are usually baking cakes, carving pumpkins, stencilling the walls, etc but letting them choose something for dinner

andywedge Tue 14-Mar-17 16:27:50

Ours love a Freddo bar and sometimes as a proper treat an ice cream or ice lolly

sophie56 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:29:42

Toast and Martmite with a hot chocolate or fruit. In the summer we make a cheese dip and have vegetable crudites to dip. Occasionally we bake - American pancakes or flapjacks.

towser44 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:54:12

Cheese, Crackers and Grapes!

israrbaig Tue 14-Mar-17 16:57:11

We share black grapes mixed with golden Del apples, and a robinson juice drink if all else fails Cornflakes

kamoc Tue 14-Mar-17 17:04:48

sometimes I will bake a nice cake for them

lizd31 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:07:06

My great niece gets very excited when she visits her GG & Grandpa's because she knows that if she's very good she will get a special treat just before she leaves from Grandpa's 'secret box' which he keeps hidden away just for Olivia. She only gets a treat if she's eaten all her fruit that day though.

hiddenmichelle Tue 14-Mar-17 17:07:25

Making fairy cakes and putting loads of decorations on (they are usually very messy as they never wait for them to cool down before icing either!

compy99 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:11:17

we do a "Nanny Snack" which is red grapes, green grapes, raisins, pineapple cubes and some cubes of cheddar cheese in a bowl.

Ikea1234 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:52:52

Mine just love cheese sandwiches, marmite on toast, or a slice of malt loaf - no butter! I have to have one too, of course, with butter, and the obligatory cup of tea!

domesticated Tue 14-Mar-17 18:07:27

My Grandsons love poached egg on toast and then fresh fruit salad for afters when the come for their tea on a Wednesday

Regalo Tue 14-Mar-17 18:07:49

Rice cakes, fruit, biscuit, malt loaf with a thin spread of butter. Milk to drink.

happysouls Tue 14-Mar-17 18:09:23

Little pots of sliced assorted fruit are pretty portable, and a trip to the park to let off steam after school if there is some excess energy to be worked off! Or sometimes quiet time with a book!

tabbaz Tue 14-Mar-17 18:48:47

A little sneaky extra help with homework and then a game of their choosing - usually scrabble - BUT I am sure they cheat as there are so many words I have never heard of and absolutely doubt really exist. An extra treat of Ice-Cream is often on the agenda too

libra10 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:57:23

When my grandchildren were small, in Summer they loved the little cherry tomatoes and strawberries that Grandad grew in the greenhouse.

Healthy, and cheap too!

glennamy Tue 14-Mar-17 19:01:52

I am always ready to bake a cake when I have GD over and she always gets the traditional bowl and whisk to lick clean... A tradition that will never ever die out! smile

vonniebab2 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:33:07

I treat them to a small bowl of fruit oranges grapes and sliced banana

pennwood Tue 14-Mar-17 19:45:50

Amelia my little granddaughter usually wants fruit, like kiwi, banana, or fresh pineapple, so sometimes she will have a fresh fruit salad made having them altogether. She loves a yogurt lolly when the weather is warm & enjoys making them too.

carolacr Tue 14-Mar-17 20:46:34

My grandchildren come round from school, I do them toast glass of warm vimto and a yoghurt. Lots of hugs and kisses, and help with their homework.

justgina Tue 14-Mar-17 20:50:50

My grand babies and I sit at the dining table and talk about their day at school while munching home made biscuits, pitta bread and humus or soreen with peanut butter smile

alsproject Tue 14-Mar-17 21:15:13

A fairy cake and a cup of squash!

flossy1973 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:48:41

Strawberries and raspberries with some water and maybe a biscuit!

mo3733 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:17:36

we go the library for an hour then get takeaway chinese onthe way home