Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Collette Tours what’s stopped you from travelling to certain locations

(173 Posts)
EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Mar-19 10:05:44

This activity is now closed

Everyone loves to travel and see the world, but places on our bucket lists aren’t always easy to explore. There are considerations and potential worries about everywhere we visit from the small “Will I like the food?” to the bigger “Is it safe to visit there at the moment?”. Travel company Collette Tours are interested to find out if there are any places you’d love to travel but haven’t, and what are the things that have put you off doing so.

Here’s what Collette Tours has to say: “As the longest-running tour operator in North America, Collette has provided guided travel for 100 years. With trips to all seven continents, Collette’s guests fulfil their deepest travel aspirations in a variety of ways with travel styles that are diversified to suit every traveller’s personal style.”

So what’s worried you about places you’ve always wanted to go to? Have you always wanted to explore Japan but worry about the language barrier? Perhaps you dream of travelling around different countries but aren’t sure how to start planning? Maybe seeing the Taj Mahal is on your bucket list but you’re not sure you’ll be able to manage well in the heat? Or you’d love to watch the sunrise over Machu Picchu but there’s a difficult hike to get there?

Whatever destinations you’d love to go to but there’s something that’s stopped you, please share them below and you will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list).

Thanks
GNHQ

Terms and conditions apply

JonFlorrie Fri 08-Mar-19 11:12:48

I would love to return to Aden (Yemen) where I lived as an Air Force child, but present wartime circumstances make that impossible. Tourism would help the economy there so much when things are settled.
Iceland is a place I have always wanted to visit; William Morris got so much inspiration from the country! How would I get about though - the landscape looks so vast and rocky. Would there be a language barrier? Is it cold there? Are the daylight hours long or short? Such a puzzle yet I still feel a draw to the place.

Warmthlover Fri 08-Mar-19 11:26:40

India. Fascinating cultures and landscapes, colours and monuments - and who with an ounce of heart wouldn’t want to see the expression of love and remembrance that is the Taj Mahal (preferably alone with my lover and by moonlight, as we’re in the realms of wish fulfilment here!) but, oh, the food! The prospect of curries and chilli doesn’t thrill, to say the least. However, I’m teaching myself to cook using spices and fresh red chillies, so perhaps one day my palate could cope with a visit to India!

Annewilko Fri 08-Mar-19 11:32:22

I would like to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia. Various circumstances have stopped me in the past, financial, time, partner didn't "fancy it". Now, I'm not sure if I could physically manage.

wallers5 Fri 08-Mar-19 11:42:10

Cape Town SA because of the robberies & violence. I would love to go. I was there when I was 2 & haven’t been back since. Would love to see the Vineyards too & so much more.

Tergly Fri 08-Mar-19 11:48:54

I would love to visit Rwanda to see the mountain gorillas. Affordability would be a problem but I would worry about the risk of possible illness being so far away. But would still probably do it if I had the opportunity.

Nana66 Fri 08-Mar-19 12:00:15

I'd love to do part of the Camino de Santiago but I'm not sure that I'm fit enough and I haven't persuaded any family member to accompany me!

LuckyFour Fri 08-Mar-19 12:18:47

My DH and I love travelling and have been fortunate enough to go to many countries. We are keen to go to Southern Italy, the more remote part. We were thinking about Sicily too, but a friend went last year and was appalled at the amount of litter everywhere and rubbish in the streets. She said it was really dreadful and wouldn't recommend going there. I was surprised at this.

SunnySusie Fri 08-Mar-19 12:32:24

Top of my wish list would be India, but every time I have been on the point of arranging a holiday, I have chickened out through worry about getting ill. Particularly Delhi belly or worse. The other thing that puts me off most holidays is the fact that tours seem to cover immense distances and require a lot of very short stays in hotels. In reality this means a lot of time in coaches and lack of sleep. It always takes me a night or two to settle in a hotel before I can get a good nights rest. I never go on holidays which require a single night in a hotel before moving on. I would be very happy to visit just three or four places for longer periods of time.

knickas63 Fri 08-Mar-19 12:55:23

My main reason for not visiting a country is fear of not being welcome/physical safety. I would dearly love to visit Egypt and Tunisia. I have visited Turkey, and would love to go back - but that is now also causing some thought.

Proseccomimama Fri 08-Mar-19 13:02:53

Just starting to feel better after a long illness and haven't managed to go outside my city since 2014 (previously a keen traveller) so health has stopped me until now but hoping to venture somewhere (anywhere) not too far this year.

Venus Fri 08-Mar-19 13:05:14

I would love to visit Guadalope where Death in Paradise is filmed. It is a difficult place to travel to from the U.K. so haven't plucked up the courage to link flights, plus the cost of getting there. Also, now my husband has passed away, I have to find a companion who wants to go too.

lizzypopbottle Fri 08-Mar-19 13:12:37

I take issue with the apparently unequivocal statement , "Everyone loves to travel and see the world..."

I have no desire to travel abroad and I can see the world (and help save the world) by viewing its wonders via screens in my home, rather than racking up air miles and the pollution they cause.

Ta da!

Disclaimer: It's fair enough to visit family in far flung corners so no trolling please...

Annamaria0 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:18:25

The cost, and complicated dog- and chickens-sitting arrangements. We have two dogs, which add significantly to the expense.

Elizabeth180 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:37:10

I would love to visit the real India and my hubby has always wanted to visit Canada. The main reason for not visiting is finance - especially for Canada, but I'm a little worried about getting dell belly in India!

DotMH1901 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:37:38

I would love to go and visit my daughter in law and son and family in the USA. Every time I save up to go the money is needed elsewhere!

NotSpaghetti Fri 08-Mar-19 13:43:57

If money was no object I would travel more, and more slowly. Nothing has stopped me - only time and cash.

susiesioux Fri 08-Mar-19 14:18:29

Venice, i have wanted to go since my boyfriend at the time went when i was 15 (I'm 58)

susiesioux Fri 08-Mar-19 14:19:23

Venice, ive wanted to go since i was 15 (i'm 58)

Grannyknot Fri 08-Mar-19 14:39:04

(wallers5 - we have just come back from a month spent in Cape Town and felt perfectly safe, no sign of robberies and/or violence. Everything works in the Cape, people are happy and friendly. There are homeless people on the streets in the built up areas, but they are not aggressive, just hungry. sad Cape Town is heaving with tourists at this time of year, many of whom are from the UK).

If I had followed the advice from the Government website re avoiding certain places "to the letter" - I'd have missed out on Turkey and also on Egypt.

What deters me from travel? The way most airlines jam people into the tiniest space possible. Air travel - unless one can afford Business Class - is just awful for the most part.

Where I'd like to go? Australia and New Zealand. We've never been as it just seems so far away ...

sarahellenwhitney Fri 08-Mar-19 14:45:53

I visited east Africa many years ago and out of all other destinations I have visited for me this was the most beautiful part of the world with its scenery and wild life I have ever experienced The aircraft took us over Mount Kilimanjaro, such a wonderful sight, and to see the abundance of wild life that came into action from the noise of aircraft engines was spectacular. If I had my time all over again Kilimanjaro would not be just a vision from an aircraft but one I could touch and feel.

Albangirl14 Fri 08-Mar-19 14:51:39

I would like to go on a cruise but am afraid of being travel sick .

moggie Fri 08-Mar-19 15:23:45

New Zealand to visit my family especially my great nephew

Itsmyfirstrodeo Fri 08-Mar-19 16:23:34

Hitting the nail on the head with Machu Picchu there. That's on the bucket list, along with the Great wall of China, the Pyramids, Japan, New Zealand, Niagara falls, pretty much anywhere with any outstanding beauty or monuments
The list goes on but they are my favourites.
What prohibits us is the same old chestnut, money and the lack of grin

jacalpad Fri 08-Mar-19 16:26:08

I would love t visit Scotland in the summer, but am worried about the midges at that time of year!

cathisherwood Fri 08-Mar-19 16:33:44

There are a number of countries I would visit if I felt more comfortable with their human right regine. These countries include China and Russia. The difficulties and expense of getting visas also puts me off.