Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Gransnetters share the legacy they'd like to leave when they're gone with Cancer Research UK

(263 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Jan-20 10:31:36

This sponsored discussion is now closed. Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on this thread.

As we get older, we often think about what our legacy will be; what memories, relationships or objects we leave behind to reflect how we’d like to be remembered. Making a Will is a way to communicate those wishes and the things that are important to someone are often reflected by the things they include. Cancer Research UK would love to hear what matters to you when you think about your legacy.

Here’s what Cancer Research UK has to say: “We know that when writing a Will, your friends and family should always come first. Once they’re taken care of, if you have even just a small gift leftover to leave for Cancer Research UK, this will still make a huge difference. We know from meeting our wonderful supporters that people have left us a gift in their Will because they are passionate about helping to beat cancer and want to continue when they are gone.”

What have you thought about leaving behind? Have you detailed this in a Will? Would you consider leaving a gift to charity in your Will? Would Cancer Research UK be a consideration? How would you like people to remember you when you’re gone?

All who share their thoughts and experiences on the thread below will be entered into a prize draw where 1 lucky GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck,
GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

*If you'd like to find out more about CRUK’s Free Will Service and legacy gifts please click here

Bellroyd Sun 09-Feb-20 17:10:03

I'd like to leave a legacy which would show my family that I lived my life to the full, with due regard to knowing the difference between right and wrong and acting with courage and integrity.

pattiesplum Sun 09-Feb-20 17:37:48

I am leaving everything to my children and their families. Also a donation to Marie Curie nurses who were wonderful to my dad in his last weeks.

Not that there is a great deal to leave.

If my family remember me with love and know I loved them that is all I wish my legacy to be,

avery64 Sun 09-Feb-20 18:06:26

I come from a family of strong women and I'm so pleased that my daughter and granddaughter have inherited this strength of character in the face of adversity. This is worth far more than any monetary or material possessions I could leave them!

candish65 Sun 09-Feb-20 18:15:57

I will leave everything to my kids. I would love to give to charity and I do in little ways . Donating and buying from charity shops and putting my loose change in the charity boxes, I do as much as I can

cathwarbur Sun 09-Feb-20 19:40:50

Not wealthy but leaving a few expensive bits & bobs for family. Really I would like to have being known as a kind and caring person.

emmav6 Sun 09-Feb-20 19:40:51

i don't think i will have much of anything to leave behind. i will saves a few sentimental bits for my children. i hope they will know how much i loved them x

gamerwidow Sun 09-Feb-20 22:03:53

I have a will which leaves everything to my daughter. It's up to her if she wants to donate any of that money to charity.
I hope I'll be remembered as someone who loved her family and friends and brought laughter, happiness and support.

Ara Mon 10-Feb-20 05:24:08

my legacy I hope will be that I was always happy for a challenge, and resourceful, as such this is something I hope I have passed onto my four children

ottypotty Mon 10-Feb-20 13:19:23

@LucyBGransnet have the winners of the vouchers been notified

northernfi Tue 18-Feb-20 16:23:22

My non-smoker husband died of a rare lung condition so I’ve raised quite a bit for the British Lung Foundation in the last four years. I’d rather they had the money now because funding research and trialling new drugs now is vital. Hopefully during my lifetime some more people can be cured or at least have a longer and better quality life.

sukysue Thu 20-Feb-20 17:57:14

I won't be leaving any money to charity because my DDS will need the money to live on because of the lack of retirement pension when they are older. I do hive a lot to charity now, l would like to give more but l do my best

crazyH Thu 20-Feb-20 18:03:25

I have been paying a small amount every month to Cancer Research by standing order. Over the years it must have amounted to quite a bit. So, no, I won't be leaving anything to them in my will.