Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What are your experiences of the job market? Share with Mumsnet Talent - £100 voucher to be won

(107 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Apr-20 11:20:30

In a recent survey, 37% of over 50s told us that others in the workplace have assumed that they’re not career motivated. With that clearly not the case for many, Mumsnet Talent - which focuses on flexibility in the workplace and encouraging employers to accept employees’ varied lifestyles - would like to hear about your experience of the job market as you’ve gotten older.

Here’s what Mumsnet Talent has to say: “With the state pension age ever-increasing, more and more people are working into their sixties and beyond. With this in mind, it’s crucial that employers make sure their workplace is equipped to support older people to develop and maintain their careers. Along with Gransnet, we’re working to raise awareness of this across all sectors, recently hosting a roundtable discussion with some of the UK’s top employers to discuss the ways in which roles can be made accessible to everyone.”

Have you found potential employers value the wealth of experience you bring to the table? Or perhaps you’ve felt that your age has had a negative impact on being offered roles? Have you experienced assumptions that you won’t be able to cope with tech platforms while at work, or that you’re hesitant to change?

Whatever your experience of the job market as you’ve gotten older, share it on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

wendybiv Tue 14-Apr-20 23:49:16

I’m 63 and still working. Seventeen years ago, I was a nursery nurse when my husband had a heart attack resulting in a sextuple heart bypass resulting in early retirement. I knew,I had to earn a lot more money to pay the mortgage and bills and to enable me to look after my two children and ill husband. I decided to go to University to gain a teaching degree and business management certificate, which enabled me to finally open my own preschool. I’ve been there almost 8 years now and I am very proud of myself for working full time and going 2 nights a week to university for 3 years. I have a BA hons in Education. I am very hands on in my preschool which only opens 38 weeks of the year allowing me to have a better work / life balance to enable me to have more time and holidays with my family. I feel I have the best of both worlds now!
Stay safe and stay at home to save our NHS and other key workers!!!

Allegretto Wed 15-Apr-20 13:17:42

I retired at 57. I loved my job but wanted to travel and spend more time with my grandchildren. I never regretted retiring, but I can’t help feeling that so much knowledge and experience which I had gained in my job, was no longer being used to help people. At this point, when thoughts of this type enter my head, I think how other people have gained experience through replacing me, and that they are now helping people as I used to do.

shaddai88 Wed 15-Apr-20 19:54:38

I was very grateful when I returned to work as a Nurse in the Hospital I had several offers even though I was in my late 50s. The employers was very impressed with my interviews and I was able to choice which one I really wanted to work with. One of the offers was very far away from my home but the Employer was prepared to adjust my starting and finishing time so that I wont be worried in case I am late going to work. They were so helpful but sadly I had to turn them down as I have never been late for work and did not want to cause any friction in the team working different hours. I am pleased with my choice and I enjoy working there and I don't have any worries of transport problems as I can drive there easily!!!

suelld Thu 16-Apr-20 17:12:58

I started life in the civil service - left work when I married, finished my part-time Hons degree which I started when working, and launched a part time job as a self-employed Book dealer. I Divorced, and as a 'single' mum with 2 sons I became a full time book dealer travelling across the UK to exhibit at Book Fairs. At 74 this year I am still working as a Full Time Book Dealer - but working from home. I had to learn all the intricacies of the internet as now almost all the Second-hand and Antiquarian book trade is on the 'net. Unless I fall off my book perch, or become otherwise unable to continue - I will Never Retire! smile I have never made much money - but I love my books and my job! smile

Sopranoigj Fri 17-Apr-20 15:06:27

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEZ_qos8V4A

Since 29th March 2020, we have recorded a piece of music everyday. Along with giving singing and piano lessons on zoom we've had the wonderful opportunity to share our music from our home. I hope you like this one above called 'From a Distance'. The words are beautiful. I'd like to share that whatever your job, it is never too late to start learning to sing or to play the piano. For our exercise we ride our tandem, so if anyone needs anything we are available to drop things off locally.

Flaxseed Fri 17-Apr-20 21:11:16

I am 56 and am a nurse.
I lost my chance to retire and 55 when I stupidly opted out of the pension scheme temporarily in the 80’s.
Had I been able to retire last year I wouldn’t now be going through this pandemic constantly worrying about going to work!
Pandemic aside, I feel valued and respected. The downside is I struggle to learn new things confused

arthursfam Thu 23-Apr-20 11:15:32

I am also a nurse Flaxseed and decided to retire from full time work at 61. Then I was “head hunted” to work with
GP’s to do 10 hours a week and loved it—— stayed 10 years
The only trouble I had was with computers. In my case it was definitely a case of who you know. I think it really helps if you have a professional qualification

maryandbuzz1 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:14:09

After years of being passed over for promotion I decided to resign and have a complete career change. I have never been happier and wished I had taken the matter into my own hands a lot earlier.

Overthehill5 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:44:00

I am sixty still working full time, but hope to go part time soon, my sales job has just become too busy and more and more fast paced, I will probably if I can find something completely different, it’s good to keep busy

Babs758 Fri 24-Apr-20 13:56:35

I sing too and play violin.. love your voice.. I must get my hubby to start rehearsing with me - he is spending time doing backing tracks for other people!.. Lovely green dress too. Sadly my upper arms would not look good in it!

Babs758 Fri 24-Apr-20 13:57:29

Sorry to @Sopranoigj

cozitsme Sat 25-Apr-20 09:17:33

Having become stuck in my past position as HR Administrator at a private run care home, I decided to venture back into my own city to try and further my career. Due to having been pretty much the HR Dept for the company, I found I was being turned down because I was either too old, had too much experience as I could take on any HR role or didn't have the qualifications as I had only studied to Level 3. Becoming aware that I was never going progress in an office setting, I switched careers and moved into food retail. Within 18 months, I had moved up from a basic Customer Assistant to Store Manager running my own team and utilising my HR experience in full. Never give up hope, someone out there will give you the chance. PS I turn 50 this year and put my career on hold to raise my children as a single mum.

Mollygo Sun 26-Apr-20 12:33:42

I retired from teaching but was asked to go back and teach Music and computing. It meant I had to learn coding and revise the course on html that I did about 10 years ago. I still do that online now.
I also do website management.
I find I’m appreciated, though what will happen after lockdown finishes-if it ever does I have no idea.

GagaJo Sun 26-Apr-20 13:20:50

I am a teacher. I'm in my mid 50's.

I left the UK at 49 to go and work abroad for 4 years. When I returned, the job market for teachers had changed drastically. Part of this is due to the academisation of schools, which means that schools are now able to negotiate with teachers about salary, whereas prior to academisation, teachers had a fixed point on a payscale, which schools were required to honour.

My experiences have been:

* Being called for interview and asked about salary expectations despite my having given salary information for each job I've previously held.

* When stating my payscale point, asked if I was prepared to negotiate.

* Being asked to re-provide my Threshold folder, to PROVE I had deserved to go through to the upper pay scale (even though this was in the past) and when I was unable to do so (due to no longer having documentation etc), having my salary lowered despite a previously agreed upon salary point.

* Being made to re-interview for my job and failing to be re-appointed.

* Having terms and conditions change once in a job (with a contract) and more or less told, accept it or you're out.

* Watching a colleague of my age hounded out of her job through continual checks and observations causing her ill-health.

In relation to DOING my actual work, my relationships within my departments and with the students, things have been EXACTLY the same. I'm hard working and staff and students know this and appreciate it.

But ultimately, management do NOT want to hire someone over 50. AND they do not want to pay us what we're worth, in the UK.

Overseas, Asia in particular, is different. Age and experience are valued and they are prepared to pay for it.

falconer Mon 27-Apr-20 16:18:41

I actually got my current job as a sort of secretary in the NHS at the age of 52. They chose me because they said they wanted someone steady and reliable. And I've seen off three younger colleagues in those years. Unfortunately that means I am usually working part-time on my own, and have to do one and a half week's work in half a week! - Valerie

DiJones Tue 28-Apr-20 09:20:28

No problems as a teacher, able to retire after 35 years

Larsonsmum Tue 28-Apr-20 10:56:05

People suceed nowadays if they are more versatile and can 'turn their hand' to many different options. Gone are the days of a 'job for life' and in MHO that is not a bad thing. I know many people who have diversified apprehesively, but love what they are now doing.

Candelle Tue 28-Apr-20 11:56:07

Most older employees carry with them attributes gleaned throughout the years that are helpful in many employment settings, however, there is a double-edged sword: an older employee, if in the same role and has accrued salary rises year on year, becomes expensive. It is often much cheaper to let the older employee retire and replace them with a younger (ergo, cheaper) body.

'Old' people are often seen as not worthy, just in respect of their age. This is obviously unlawful but it frequently happens.

I was on an interview panel and employed a 58-year-old lady who had little experience but I thought I saw a hard-working individual, keen to participate and learn. I met that lady many years later and she practically kissed the ground I was standing on, as apparently the job gave her self-respect, enjoyment and gave her a new lease of life.

Unfortunately, I think that technology can be the downfall of older employees for unless it is taught correctly, it can be confusing. Good teaching is all that is necessary (OK and perhaps a little more time than with younger people!).

Hetty58 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:03:58

Working in education, I felt that my experience as an 'oldie' was highly valued. In fact, I think it was an advantage, as younger people were more likely to change course or find new jobs. They had more absences due to family and childcare problems. We were respected and considered to be more committed and reliable.

wendycl Tue 28-Apr-20 12:38:52

I have great work experiences - flexible working part time, work at home as needed. No problems with lockdown, just more home working and busy as ever. I keep up to date with IT and enjoy the training provided by my employer (a Local Authority) to ensure I keep up to date. A fab work/life balance.

rags Tue 28-Apr-20 13:47:07

Happily employed as an exam invigilator along with other OAPs!

etheltbags1 Tue 28-Apr-20 23:01:35

I work as a market researcher, cold calling on the public in their homes. Having done this almost 20 years I was in my mid 40 when I started. I did not mind being out all weather's dealing with difficult people alone in their homes, I learned to cope with a few physical scars and some mental scars too. The company makes no adaptationsfor age in the actual work that would be impossible but as the wage is paid on success only they have been ok over the last few years when I have had illness, I can work few hours or more as I wish as my targets are flexible. If I don't hit targets I just don't get paid.
Many people who do this are retired and have a pension, this job seems to appeal to retired teachers and civil servants who are always well heeled, so I suppose a drop in pay means little to them. The company I work for is fair and my bosses kind so I can't complain but given the last 20 years back I would not do it again

steph8 Wed 29-Apr-20 04:41:54

I have applied for many vacancies I was over qualified for and been rejected (I think due to age). I know so many people who have been selected for redundancy because their firm wants to take on young cheap labour instead.

Txquiltz Wed 29-Apr-20 05:03:24

I also am a retired nurse(ICU, A and E, and 10 years in management). At first I loved the freedom of my days, but boredom soon came. I talked to a local florist. First I simply delivered the bouquets, but then they taught me how to arrange everything from tiny nosegays to very large sprays. Physically, I can no longer hold down a full time job, but do arrangements for friends occasionally. It has given me many happy, productive hours.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Apr-20 07:37:03

My experience is in education. As others have said, academisation has changed the landscape in schools, and this has had significant impact on older staff in particular. Whereas there was once a system of gradual progression on a fixed salary scale, and experience was valued, many academy trusts see themselves as businesses first and foremost and on taking over a school look to cut its operating costs as quickly as possible. There are ways of getting rid of the higher paid and some of them aren’t pleasant.