Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What are your experiences of the job market? Share with Mumsnet Talent - £100 voucher to be won

(107 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Apr-20 11:20:30

In a recent survey, 37% of over 50s told us that others in the workplace have assumed that they’re not career motivated. With that clearly not the case for many, Mumsnet Talent - which focuses on flexibility in the workplace and encouraging employers to accept employees’ varied lifestyles - would like to hear about your experience of the job market as you’ve gotten older.

Here’s what Mumsnet Talent has to say: “With the state pension age ever-increasing, more and more people are working into their sixties and beyond. With this in mind, it’s crucial that employers make sure their workplace is equipped to support older people to develop and maintain their careers. Along with Gransnet, we’re working to raise awareness of this across all sectors, recently hosting a roundtable discussion with some of the UK’s top employers to discuss the ways in which roles can be made accessible to everyone.”

Have you found potential employers value the wealth of experience you bring to the table? Or perhaps you’ve felt that your age has had a negative impact on being offered roles? Have you experienced assumptions that you won’t be able to cope with tech platforms while at work, or that you’re hesitant to change?

Whatever your experience of the job market as you’ve gotten older, share it on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

WoodLane7 Sat 02-May-20 16:47:28

I changed job at 55, but it was a Local Authority and they seem to be a bit more together with Equal Ops than some private sector employers

flaxwoven Sat 02-May-20 17:05:23

I was interviewed by 3 people and employed by a hospital aged 58 as a support medical secretary. I had no medical background whatsoever but I learnt my job and the other secretary's jobs who I had to cover for, and it was the most interesting and rewarding job of my life. My fast typing, accuracy, ability to work as a team, and mature age was an asset. My age and life experience was helpful when dealing with anxious and troubled patients on the phone. I retired age 64 to care for grandchildren but was able to carry on working on a temporary basis (called the bank) to cover staff holidays and sickness and this was much appreciated. It was always "we are happy with whatever hours you can do".

suzieo1 Sun 03-May-20 08:26:47

I feel I am treated equally in my workplace despite my age. When I get older I see myself setting up my own small business.

JKilkelly9 Sun 03-May-20 11:18:55

I served 25 years in the Royal Navy, and then I joined the Civil Service working in a Plymouth Jobcentre. I thoroughly both of these careers immensely, and the Jobcentre work gave me a great sense of satisfaction and fulfillment as I was helping long term unemployed people find sustainable employment. I am now semi-retired and work as a Director for a retirement village in West Devon. I enjoy this work very much, as I am able to help the elderly residents overcome any problems that they have, and also help with any minor chores.

Mitchypop Mon 04-May-20 11:46:40

My experience has been a bit easier as jobs in my field are based on length of experience and skills. In Canada it’s often the opposite

marjoriedior Mon 04-May-20 20:49:47

I work as a Children’s Mentor in a primary school. I’m 63 and will retire at 66 years and 4 months... not that I’m counting. I have mixed feelings as whilst I love the idea of having loads of time to prioritise my hobbies I also love my job!