Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for healthy snacking with Soreen - £100 voucher to be won

(286 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Jun-20 09:38:41

With the stress and uncertainty around social isolation and lockdown, more of us than ever before have found ourselves comfort eating. Our latest research shows that 43% of us are snacking more than usual and 30% are struggling to eat a healthy diet. It’s all too easy to reach for a biscuit, and then another, then another. And suddenly the packet is gone. With that in mind, Soreen would like to hear your tips for healthy snacking, whether that’s ensuring guilt-free portion sizes or resisting the call of the biscuit tin.

Here’s what Soreen has to say: “Soreen, British baker of the Original Malt Loaf, has been enjoyed as a teatime treat in homes for over 80 years. Whilst many of us know that a slice of deliciously squidgy Soreen is perfect with a cuppa, it’s less well known that Soreen is a much healthier option than other sweet treats.

Our Malt Loaf contains over 40% less sugar and 80% less fat than the average cake. Plus if you’re looking for a tasty portion controlled snack, our individually wrapped Lunchbox Loaves are less than 100 calories each and our Sliced Loaf is just 65 calories per slice.

We know that for many of you the only way to eat Soreen is with butter! Well you’ll be pleased to hear that two buttered slices of malt loaf come in at just 150 calories and contain 40% less sugar and 50% less fat than the average slice of cake.

So you can still enjoy Soreen as a healthier swap without compromising on taste!”

Do you find portion controlled snacks help you control your snacking? How do you prevent the temptation of yet another biscuit? Do you find yourself wanting a snack when you know you’re definitely not hungry? How do you manage it?

Whatever your tips for healthy snacking, share them with Soreen in the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

WowOoo Tue 07-Jul-20 08:01:51

I'll prep a lot of salad so they're ready for me to eat when I'm peckish.
When I need something more filling to keep me going some toast, Soreen or a cracker with a bit of butter is perfect.

TracyC Tue 07-Jul-20 11:55:46

My family live on Soreen and fruit, the pre sliced stops the squashing!

Plunkie Tue 07-Jul-20 16:55:15

Celery with guacamole or apple & celery with different cheeses & perhaps a couple of crackers to fill me up!

gramsforgrans Wed 08-Jul-20 14:48:35

Make your own MINI CHEESECAKE with a Soreen base (this malt loaf is great as a base, instead of biscuits). In a small container or jar add your soreen loaf, top frozen yogurt of your choice and a few slices of fruit. Put it in the freezer for around 20-30 minutes- just so that it gets cold. Take it out for a few minutes before you tuck in! Voila

cuppatea Fri 10-Jul-20 10:57:33

my go to snack is a banana - so already portion controlled. If I have nuts, I only have what can fit in the palm of my hand and then the packet is puts away, otherwise it's too easy to eat too many.

TM12 Wed 15-Jul-20 10:31:07

Soreen handy snack packs and real butter: nothing beats it unless you add fresh strawberries or raspberries on top of each slice.

PumpkinPies Thu 16-Jul-20 14:12:26

I like greek yoghurt (the real one) , blueberries, raspberries with a small amount of muesli :-)

Overthehill5 Mon 20-Jul-20 06:42:27

Snacking on melon and celery is safe but what works for me is having breakfast that little bit later stops the snacking mid morning

snowyboots Fri 24-Jul-20 09:36:24

We always grow cherry tomatoes, so my go to snack in the summer is a freshly picked tomato, in winter it’s sliced melon or a handful of nuts and raisins.

Granny23 Fri 24-Jul-20 10:26:33

By coincidence, having not tasted Soreen for years, I twice received a packet of the lunch box sized malt loaves in my weekly delivery of food for the 'elderly and vulnerable' This has reminded me of how tasty it is. I am hooked again grin

For the past two months I have been picking fruit from the garden daily. The best fruit goes straight into my mouth as I pick, while the not quite as perfect fruits are made into jam. I have also during lockdown developed my own quick and easy snack utilising the bananas (also from my food parcel( and small wraps. Spread wrap with soft butter or Raspberry jam (or both), wrap banana and squash. D licious