Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share the things that encourage you to consider moving home with Willerby Bespoke - £200 voucher to be won

(330 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Jun-20 10:21:22

They might seem like bricks and mortar, but homes hold a lot of memories that make you feel attached to them. But the desire to move home - whether that’s to be closer to family, to have more money to do the things you love, or to achieve a more relaxed lifestyle - can outweigh that attachment, and Willerby would like to hear about what encourages you to consider a home move.

Here’s what Willerby has to say: ‘Willerby has been creating homes for over 70 years and are exceptionally experienced when it comes to making quality homes that are truly built to last. Our designers have created the perfect blend of style and practicality in all our park homes with amazing space saving ideas, luxurious touches and beautiful interiors and exteriors. Our park homes are built to last and offer stylish, low maintenance living for those who want to paint landscapes, not the hallway! View, download or order your brochure here. Get inspiration and details for our range of homes.’

Do you move home often for a change in scenery? What makes you think about moving now? Would it be to downsize? Release money for retirement? To achieve a more relaxed lifestyle? Perhaps you’d consider moving to be closer to family? Or maybe it’s appealing because you get the freedom to start from scratch with your design ideas?

Whatever the things that make you consider moving home, share on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

kevincharley Sun 05-Jul-20 14:00:36

Previously I've move for work, for a relationship breakdown, a new relationship and nasty neighbours.
If we move again it will be a retirement move and it will be to somewhere less frenetic and definitely back to somewhere further north.

Toddy Sun 05-Jul-20 15:21:32

We are in the process of moving now. Downsized 7 yrs ago to present house. Motivation at the time was to be mortgage free so I could retire early and care for my first grandson. We wanted small and cozy, good community feel, good neighbours and access to public transport. Found all that in our current Victorian home. Moving again now because I didn't realize the importance of a down stairs loo! Also, the road is really busy and other drivers impatient when we are trying to get on our drive! Moving to a bungalow this time with nice garden, walks nearby and 2 loos ?

CatsAreAwesome Sun 05-Jul-20 19:36:49

I would love to live by the sea. Maybe when I retire I can get a small flat somewhere on the coast.

kjmpde Sun 05-Jul-20 20:18:42

we now live in Devon but not near the sea. life is a much slower pace - good at times but frustrating at others.

kjmpde Sun 05-Jul-20 20:20:18

we would like to move to have a better public transport, better supermarkets and a home with less maintenance. saying that we do not want to go too small either

DotMH1901 Sun 05-Jul-20 22:00:35

I have moved 14 times since I left home at 17. Most moves were down to my husband's job which involved him working at different places in England and Wales. After he died I moved from Wales to Dover, Kent with my daughter after she got a job there. 16 years later I moved back nearer home to Telford because my daughter had become a single parent and needed a promotion which forced the move back North. Moved twice since being here, now finally in our own house but I am in the process of moving into the Annex which is almost complete so I suppose you could say that will be move 13!

DotMH1901 Sun 05-Jul-20 22:01:30

Move 15, not 13!!!

Fleursgranny Mon 06-Jul-20 23:32:09

We moved to the West Country to be near my very elderly widowed father (I am the only child). Now he has died and my husband has had a stroke which incapacitates him. I love the house and garden we have but they are impractical and we now have young grandchildren many miles away who I would love to see much more often. As we age we need to live in a sizable town or city with good rail and bus connections.

buckleycat Tue 07-Jul-20 00:12:44

I do love where we live now, but there is an awful lot of work which needs doing.. it is very tempting to sacrifice the beautiful outside space we have now, for a more modern property where everything is done & no plastering, painting or general DIY needed!! Obviously the ideal would be all of the above & the outside space too - but like many others, I'd be looking for a lottery win for this to actually happen! It's fun dreaming though smile

WowOoo Tue 07-Jul-20 07:57:01

I'd like to go somewhere cleaner and greener but I'd need a lottery win for this.
A nice view of trees and fields would be so nice.

oliveoyl72 Tue 07-Jul-20 10:27:11

I really don't like moving, so for me it would probably have to be for a reason, other than change of scenery, e.g. downsizing, place without stairs etc. I've only moved property once since being a homeowner (25 years), and that was because my first property had subsidence and I couldn't cope with the stress of it.

constance Tue 07-Jul-20 11:01:26

I love where we are I just wish I had a huge garden, big enough for all the grandchildren to visit and camp in and run around together. Being near the sea would be wonderful too, but maybe a garden with a small stream for catching tiddlers would do. It is highly unlikely we will ever move, and I make do (in normal times) with visits to sisters in cornwall and isle of wight. But I do daydream sometimes.

cozitsme Tue 07-Jul-20 12:00:18

I've lived in my home for 29 years and raised my 2 kids here so there are a lot of memories. I would only move to a house with a garden as my current home is a first floor flat. It has a garden but it's some distance from the property so can be inconvenient sometimes.

Nanama8 Tue 07-Jul-20 12:03:22

I would love to move to a detached house that lets in light like I lived in when the family were growing up. After divorce I needed to be in town and now remarried still in terraced town house - husband lovely but does not want to move!

Plunkie Tue 07-Jul-20 16:53:00

If I won enough money I would buy a something on the Isle of Wight - maybe a cottage or caravan or even a Lodge - don't mind which - just love it there!

Shadydelta Tue 07-Jul-20 20:14:30

I was brought up in the country so i miss simple things such as nights being very dark and being able to walk where no one else is walking. I would love to move out of the town to be somewhere like this again!

PamelaJ1 Wed 08-Jul-20 07:52:40

I love where I live. I’m in a village but there is an hourly bus service to town or the city. It’s a flat short walk to the bus stop. If I couldn’t walk there I wouldn’t be able to walk anywhere.

We are in quite a big bungalow with room for a carer, if we ever needed one she/he could have privacy. The garden is quite big with room for another property between us and our lovely neighbours.
I don’t think that I’m up to looking after the whole thing on my own so can be found from time to time designing a small but perfect bungalow between them and us. Easy to look after, cheap to heat and maintain with a utility room!
DD and her DH can move into ours and look after me?

Sharyboo Wed 08-Jul-20 10:35:59

I couldn't really afford to move home. As lovely as it would be. Its funny. Isn't it? We keep buying bigger and bigger, need more room, and then eventually it gets smaller and smaller. Downsizing to just one bedroom. The life cycle of a human home. ♥

JillC1911 Wed 08-Jul-20 11:21:23

We’ve been married 37 years - and have moved 19 times! Sometimes with the job (OH was Royal Navy), sometimes for schools (four daughters), sometimes just for something better - and sometimes just for a change. I have never imagined living in one ‘forever’ house - until now. I’d like to move to a lovely bungalow or barn conversion- and stay there!

jphillips1657 Wed 08-Jul-20 11:55:20

If my grandchildren moved then I would move to be near them

Songbird58 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:22:18

Desperate to move home. No money to do the place up & new development next door [pressing ahead] which means less privacy in our home & area getting busier all the time. Husband wants to stop working & we both just want space & a more peaceful life. Was considering France then Brexit was announced and now Covid!! Cornwall prices increasing too [our 2nd choice] & getting busier. Would consider staying put if can make the property more private and do it up [renovations not just decorating!] giving more space & 2nd loo! Have moved around a lot in past, [work related]. Winning the lottery would help!

Meggymoos Wed 08-Jul-20 13:58:19

I would definitely move home if I won the lottery.. with the children grown up, our house is too big, and I love being near the beach

teegreen Wed 08-Jul-20 14:03:32

We move next week. Now that our family has grown and flown the nest it is time to downsize. Extra cash can then be used to help our family.

SusannaCallaghan Wed 08-Jul-20 21:45:01

I'd move (in the same area) for a view and a more energy efficient and easier to maintain house and garden.

Fothers Thu 09-Jul-20 10:33:46

When my husband died two years ago I seriously thought of moving from my four-storey Victorian home to a small bungalow but none that I looked at felt "right". In fact most of them felt like dog kennels in comparison to what I have. Also I have 35 years of memories in my home, so unless I can no longer manage the three staircases I shall stay put.