Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share the things that encourage you to consider moving home with Willerby Bespoke - £200 voucher to be won

(330 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Jun-20 10:21:22

They might seem like bricks and mortar, but homes hold a lot of memories that make you feel attached to them. But the desire to move home - whether that’s to be closer to family, to have more money to do the things you love, or to achieve a more relaxed lifestyle - can outweigh that attachment, and Willerby would like to hear about what encourages you to consider a home move.

Here’s what Willerby has to say: ‘Willerby has been creating homes for over 70 years and are exceptionally experienced when it comes to making quality homes that are truly built to last. Our designers have created the perfect blend of style and practicality in all our park homes with amazing space saving ideas, luxurious touches and beautiful interiors and exteriors. Our park homes are built to last and offer stylish, low maintenance living for those who want to paint landscapes, not the hallway! View, download or order your brochure here. Get inspiration and details for our range of homes.’

Do you move home often for a change in scenery? What makes you think about moving now? Would it be to downsize? Release money for retirement? To achieve a more relaxed lifestyle? Perhaps you’d consider moving to be closer to family? Or maybe it’s appealing because you get the freedom to start from scratch with your design ideas?

Whatever the things that make you consider moving home, share on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

NanaPlenty Thu 09-Jul-20 13:34:27

We have lived in our town for about twenty years, we moved here when the kids moved out. Both sets of parents have now passed away and although we have enjoyed being here and having friends nearby it’s time for a change. We would like to move somewhere quieter and close to my eldest daughter and grandchildren and also free up some money to be able to visit our other children, three of whom live abroad.

williamsgwynfa Thu 09-Jul-20 19:56:32

We are happy in our family home, and would not consider moving at this time.

poshpaws Thu 09-Jul-20 21:29:10

I'm considering moving home, with great regret as I have super neighbours here, because I lost my beloved husband to Covid-19 in May and am finding the upkeep of 17 acres to be too much for me both physically and since his death, financially.

dahville Fri 10-Jul-20 09:46:17

It’s about what makes life easier as we get older. I appreciate less stairs, more storage, close to conveniences.

cuppatea Fri 10-Jul-20 10:53:35

I love my home, but the garden is on a steep slope. I love gardening, so when the slope becomes too difficult I will need to move to a house with a flatter garden!

SusieWilkinson Fri 10-Jul-20 11:29:49

I'd love to move home. I have been here for 28 years and it used to be a nice area, now, the Police are in the courtyard every week and there was a murder at the house next to me.
It's a brilliant location with everything available a short walk away, but if I had the money I'd move to a more remote location.

gran1 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:46:10

I would like to downsize as I am concerned about rising maintenance issues and costs rather than anything else.

patcaf Fri 10-Jul-20 17:01:03

We have moved 14 times in our 47 years of marriage. Some times for a larger house but most times because of my job. We last moved 3 years ago from a house in the UK to a house on the Irish coast. This was our retirement adventure and has been a great experience. Our house is large enough to have all the children and grandchildren here at the same time which was one of our requirements for moving. It is also on the coast within a short distance of several beautiful beaches.

We are now 68 and will probably move one more time back into the city. We currently run two cars as there is no public transport of any kind around here. As we get older , both of us have had cancer, we feel we will need to move somewhere where we have access to pharmacies, doctors, hospitals , shops, restaurants, etc without driving 40 km. For the moment we love where we are and have never regretted moving. Moving again will depend on our health and also how quickly fully automated cars come onstream.

albertina Mon 13-Jul-20 14:00:38

I am thinking of moving because of my health. I am one of the folk whose tests were postponed at the start of lockdown. I have no idea how ill I am until my heart is checked properly so I have decided to be safe rather than sorry, and move to be near my daughter. A smaller house will be easier for me,

Winpeaks Tue 14-Jul-20 23:12:48

Downstairs bathroom
Ground floor access

lindseylofty Wed 15-Jul-20 02:07:42

I'd consider moving to a smaller property after my kids leave home, and if i won the lottery I'd move to a smarter area of town

TM12 Wed 15-Jul-20 10:18:28

The things that would encourage us to move would be living closer to family, somewhere with space that is easy to manage, a garden for our pets, bright and light but a well built property- nothing flimsy, cheap to heat, a real fire to snuggle up to, near a decent town but in a pretty village with amenities.

malglu Wed 15-Jul-20 23:11:29

i would possibly consider downsizing to a two bed ground floor flat with a garden, if I ever feel I no longer have the energy to invite family to stay and entertain them. I would be happy for one of my children and their children to move into my home and benefit from my good size family home.

PumpkinPies Thu 16-Jul-20 07:24:56

Lovely village and cottage with fabulous kitchen and bathroom

moonsheep Thu 16-Jul-20 11:31:24

Would be fantastic to live somewhere green and quiet with country walks all around to enjoy nature and lead a more peaceful life. Cornwall would be perfect.

MissElly Thu 16-Jul-20 11:49:13

Lucky enough to live in a beautiful village on east coast of Ireland beside city, sea and mountains, but the weather ? Hanker after a life in the Aveyron in France. Heaven on earth!

Presta35 Fri 17-Jul-20 10:04:33

Unfortunately we have to put the house on the market because our neighbour opposite has decided to park his large van right in front of our sitting room window.

susie14 Sun 19-Jul-20 11:36:34

I'd love to move if funds were plentiful. I value good neighbours which can make all the difference.

libra10 Sun 19-Jul-20 11:46:28

We have been in our home since we married many years ago.

Our two children were born and raised here, and in many ways our home and location are ideal - near the village, health centre and shops, also bus stops for a visit to the nearest town or city.

However, as we're getting older now, I would love to move to a bungalow as managing the stairs will become more difficult in time. Also, a bigger kitchen where you could sit and eat, would be a real bonus.

Preferably, I would love to stay in our present location, as friends and family are quite close by.

wildchild Sun 19-Jul-20 12:56:51

I know it's time when the 3rd child's nose touches the ceiling when they're on the triple bunk bed; using the bathroom is strictly on a rota (with a bucket for emergencies) a one person has to have a leg out of the lounge window and one with just their head in the door for the whole family to be in the same room at once.

Overthehill5 Mon 20-Jul-20 06:38:28

I would love now to down size, and move nearer my family, my son has just told me they are going to start a family soon so would love to watch grandchildren grow up

skyedog Mon 20-Jul-20 21:44:57

I would like to downsize as my garden is huge but I like having space for family to come and stay. Also, I have stayed in my house since it was built 30 years ago, have great neighbours and I don't want to 'start again'.

thecatwhisper Tue 21-Jul-20 14:20:27

My new neighbours who just interfer and try and stop us doing anything kind of building project on the house.

mother999 Tue 21-Jul-20 21:22:28

A larger frontage and hallway and an increase in one of the downstairs reception rooms would be ideal for our next home.

nzborn Tue 21-Jul-20 21:29:58

if l could afford to shift it would be to a ground floor flat with no stairs.