Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share the things that encourage you to consider moving home with Willerby Bespoke - £200 voucher to be won

(330 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Jun-20 10:21:22

They might seem like bricks and mortar, but homes hold a lot of memories that make you feel attached to them. But the desire to move home - whether that’s to be closer to family, to have more money to do the things you love, or to achieve a more relaxed lifestyle - can outweigh that attachment, and Willerby would like to hear about what encourages you to consider a home move.

Here’s what Willerby has to say: ‘Willerby has been creating homes for over 70 years and are exceptionally experienced when it comes to making quality homes that are truly built to last. Our designers have created the perfect blend of style and practicality in all our park homes with amazing space saving ideas, luxurious touches and beautiful interiors and exteriors. Our park homes are built to last and offer stylish, low maintenance living for those who want to paint landscapes, not the hallway! View, download or order your brochure here. Get inspiration and details for our range of homes.’

Do you move home often for a change in scenery? What makes you think about moving now? Would it be to downsize? Release money for retirement? To achieve a more relaxed lifestyle? Perhaps you’d consider moving to be closer to family? Or maybe it’s appealing because you get the freedom to start from scratch with your design ideas?

Whatever the things that make you consider moving home, share on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

DiJones Tue 23-Jun-20 12:38:57

bigger garden, would love to grow my own vegetables

Pjran Tue 23-Jun-20 13:05:52

I really don’t want to move but now find the stairs a bit tricky and refuse to have a stairlift fitted as it will ruin my beautiful home. At some time I’ll just have to move kicking and screaming.

falconer Tue 23-Jun-20 13:24:40

The only reason to move would be new neighbours!

moggie57 Tue 23-Jun-20 14:08:35

very hard to move if you are on local council. been trying 10 years plus and nothing .if i won the lottery .i would deft move ..

lollee Tue 23-Jun-20 14:26:10

My current home is the one in which I have lived the longest. I am quite attached as I have made it into my own little oasis but I don't like the area so that would very much encourage a move. Also, as I get older the stairs and garden will undoubtedly become a problem.

startrek32 Tue 23-Jun-20 14:53:57

I live in the best place in the world,Cornwall.Born and bred here,so what's not to love? However if the opportunity arose,my next best place would be somewhere in the Cotswolds.I have visited a few times and just love those quaint Cotswold stone cottages,Rose's round the door etc.

Pansy123 Tue 23-Jun-20 16:02:22

We are only likely to move when we downsize in a couple of years. When we do we will look for a smaller more manageable garden with few renovations required. It will need to have easy access into the house for when we are older because access is such a problem to the older person in so many older properties in my rural area. I’d need it to be close to public transport for the same reasons.

varian Tue 23-Jun-20 16:04:43

Must be within easy walking distance of shops, doctors surgery, public transport and other community facilities.

Should have at least two, preferably three parking spaces. Must have a completely private sunny sitting out space at the back accessed by french doors or sliding doors, not overlooked at all.

If new, it should be designed for the site by a qualified architect, not a "standard housetype" designed by an unqualified person which could be plonked down on any site.

It should be possible to live on the ground floor but may have first floor rooms for us as long as we are able to use the stairs and after that just for carers and/or visitors.

midi1975 Tue 23-Jun-20 16:21:32

I would only move to a smaller, more manageable home if I found one in the same area where I live. I would not want to leave my friends. The problem is I live in a popular area. Smaller homes and bungalows are sold as soon as they are advertised. I have two friends who bought their smaller homes before selling their own. I could not afford to do this. Fortunately I love my big family-sized house, my friends and neighbours on the street and the not too far away bus stop but I do fear it will become a burden before too long.

Dilemma Tue 23-Jun-20 16:36:54

We are moving to be nearer our daughter and her family, downsizing from a four bedroom detached Thatched Cottage in Norfolk, to which we retired six years ago. The move is forced by my husband's increasing frailty and disability (needs hip replacement and has a yet to be diagnosed form of dementia). We are buying a two bedroom semi, to which we will add a ground floor rear extension to house a bedroom, wet room and utility room. We looked for ages to find a home near our daughter with these features, but eventually decided location was more important (Phil & Kirsty are spot on!) so our new home is 3 minutes walk from our daughter, 5 mins from Sainsbury's, 2 mins from the Bridge Club and 10 mins from the swimming pool, with 3 pubs within a 5 minute walk. The building work will take 2-3 months and we hope to be in by Christmas.

KAKADU Tue 23-Jun-20 16:57:31

We lived in a small town for over 43 years but now my wife and I live in a very remote part of The Lake District. The scenery is fine but Cumbria is the wettest county in England.

Wammer Tue 23-Jun-20 17:04:37

We’ve moved four times in 19yrs. We started married life in a fantastic first home which we spent a considerable amount of money on but we only had a stone back yard and no parking. When we had the children this became a real issue, especially parking. We moved less than a mile away and bought a a house with parking and a large garden. Catchment areas for schools changed so we moved again. Only a mile away but guaranteed into our chosen school. Two years ago we moved again because we wanted to reduce mortgage payments so I could reduce my working hours. We actually love it and find it therapeutic getting rid of mounds of rubbish you collect and store. But the only reason we will move again is to a retirement home !! The stress increases with age I think.

GeminiJen Tue 23-Jun-20 17:11:18

I’ve moved house many times in my adult life, mainly in response to career moves. Since retirement, I’ve downsized and stayed put: I’ve lived in my present home for 10 years now, the longest I’ve lived anywhere. Until Covid 19 I felt settled here: good friends, neighbours, lovely village on the coast. However, the pandemic has made me take stock. Like so many on GN, I’ve really missed my children and grandchildren. My daughter has said that she feels the same and has asked me to move to be near her and my grandsons. At 76, I won’t pretend that I’m looking forward to the upheaval. I’ve done a fair bit of de-cluttering of late though, and I’m now actively looking forward to a fresh start. Looking through the Willerby brochure has certainly provided food for thought...and inspiration too!

juliedee Tue 23-Jun-20 17:19:26

We have been thinking about downsizing for sure and looking at park homes funnily enough, really love them but the annual costs can add up, but a lot of positives for sure. Even if we had a lot of money, still think a smaller place is better for the future so looking at bungalows, small cottage type places near amenities

ctpulley1 Tue 23-Jun-20 17:46:55

My wife had a hip problem. She had it operated on, but we only had an upstairs toilet. We needed a downstairs toilet because she was incapacitated for the 6 weeks after. She couldn't rush upstairs to the toilet, so it was "watch out, I am on my way" from her for that time.

Kicking01king Tue 23-Jun-20 17:59:00

I want space around me, so a detached house that is some distance away from the next house. Outdoor space is also important- an entertaining area. A great view would be the icing on the cake!

CHARLEY1 Tue 23-Jun-20 19:01:18

I would like a bigger house but I would not consider moving unless money was no object and I could afford help with housework and gardening etc. Unless those elusive lottery numbers come in I think I'll be staying out

katieraven1990 Tue 23-Jun-20 19:45:06

To get away from the busy main road we live on to move somewhere safer for the children

bets1e Tue 23-Jun-20 19:54:10

I love where I live I've been here since 1995 and wouldn't dream pf moving unless it's for health reasons. It's lovely and peaceful, beautiful garden full of plants, wildlife and nice neighbours so what's not to like.

stoolballgirl Tue 23-Jun-20 20:04:03

a more manageable house with someone on call to do those little jobs and a lovely area with my own garden

volcanopete Tue 23-Jun-20 20:09:39

I'd only sell if my wife died.I would probably move abroad should that happen.

Broderbund Tue 23-Jun-20 20:31:10

I would move to New Zealand where my son and 3 grandchildren live so I would be able to watch the grandchildren grow up as at the moment it is a long time whenever I see them.

fishnships Tue 23-Jun-20 22:27:06

I'd like to move from semi to a detatched stone built house with ideally room for a horse (my childhood dream!) and space to grow veg, so I could give up my allotment. Although I love it the neighbours are unfriendly, which spoils things and I had problems with my elderly neighbour who was an ex school teacher and thought she could treat me as her pupil! I'd like a lodge type building with no stairs and we are finally able to consider moving in the next few years as the younger kids have just left school. In the countryside would be lovely...

Venus Tue 23-Jun-20 22:47:01

I had to downsize. The house started to need attention and the swimming pool was falling apart! I chose a converted Victorian pump house which has been completely re modernized. Being on the ground floor, I have a garden, a garage and a car parking space. I'm also near my two sons so that's convenient . . . and the cat likes it.

lemongrove Tue 23-Jun-20 22:59:59

Our grand Georgian pile is hard to heat and the plaster is falling off the ceilings.Am looking for a modern house with four bedrooms and two bathrooms only, much easier to look after. A good view is a must have, ideally my husband would like it to overlook a decent pub, but I prefer trees, a sea view or a fantastic waterfall.?