Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share the things that encourage you to consider moving home with Willerby Bespoke - £200 voucher to be won

(330 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Jun-20 10:21:22

They might seem like bricks and mortar, but homes hold a lot of memories that make you feel attached to them. But the desire to move home - whether that’s to be closer to family, to have more money to do the things you love, or to achieve a more relaxed lifestyle - can outweigh that attachment, and Willerby would like to hear about what encourages you to consider a home move.

Here’s what Willerby has to say: ‘Willerby has been creating homes for over 70 years and are exceptionally experienced when it comes to making quality homes that are truly built to last. Our designers have created the perfect blend of style and practicality in all our park homes with amazing space saving ideas, luxurious touches and beautiful interiors and exteriors. Our park homes are built to last and offer stylish, low maintenance living for those who want to paint landscapes, not the hallway! View, download or order your brochure here. Get inspiration and details for our range of homes.’

Do you move home often for a change in scenery? What makes you think about moving now? Would it be to downsize? Release money for retirement? To achieve a more relaxed lifestyle? Perhaps you’d consider moving to be closer to family? Or maybe it’s appealing because you get the freedom to start from scratch with your design ideas?

Whatever the things that make you consider moving home, share on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

rainbowvalley Tue 23-Jun-20 23:13:24

Bad neighbours, a better deal than I have already or emigrating through work!

Evie64 Tue 23-Jun-20 23:53:05

I like where we live (Exeter) but I must admit, if we had awful neighbours, I would move to Exmouth to be near the sea, and a house with a view.

gandalf1 Wed 24-Jun-20 00:11:32

To move to a quiet rural location would be fabulous

valseal Wed 24-Jun-20 08:10:54

After my parents died we moved 200 miles to be nearer our daughter and grandchildren. I needed a bungalow and because hubby is very fussy it took us 3 years to find the ideal home, but I'm glad we did because it's a beautiful bungalow, right by the sea.

tarakate Wed 24-Jun-20 08:15:13

Most of all, if I could afford it, it would be a terrible event within the home causing me to feel it no longer as 'home' that would cause me to move. Alas the latter has happened, but the finance isn't available.

Marmight Wed 24-Jun-20 08:42:19

‘ The grass is always greener’.
I downsized & moved 450 miles 2 years ago from a lovely family home by the sea to an ancient cottage in a small Cotswold village close to family. It seemed a good idea at the time for many reasons but hasn't become the friendly, happy idyll I had imagined & hoped for. I’m now considering another move nearer more family and close to the sea in Devon. It'll be expensive and I’ll have to start all over again making friends and making a life for myself, not easy at my age! How do I make that decision? How do I know whether I’ll be any luckier with my neighbours? Life is short. Should I take a gamble & hope for the best or just remain with the status quo and hope things improve with time ?

crusosa Wed 24-Jun-20 08:43:58

I'm not thinking of moving from London, but I guess that if I could, I'd go to a sunnier place if I dont need to work any longer.

Lexisgranny Wed 24-Jun-20 08:46:36

We would only move to a home on one level, with at least two bedrooms in an area within walking distance of essential shops, and hopefully a Doctor. We would prefer it to be in a village, which is fairly flat, with an active community ethos. Would look for good size light rooms, with easy maintenance and a private small garden or courtyard together with off road car parking. The bathroom should be suitable for older people. It should also be on a bus route to enable access to the nearest town. Ideally it would not be too far from the area we are already living in.

All this is in anticipation of future rather than current needs. We presently live in a bungalow on outskirts of a town, but we have lost our local buses as the result of cuts, and we are not within walking distance of shops. Although we are active at the moment, there will come a time when we no longer drive, and we are anxious to maintain independent living for as long as possible.

tupelohoney Wed 24-Jun-20 08:55:47

I am considering a move from my confined flat in town to a home by the sea with a garden or some private outside space. This enforced lockdown has amplified the need and urged me to assess my priorities for the future.

jooli Wed 24-Jun-20 09:02:34

We live in Northumberland and have considered going to Scotland because we think it will become independent and we just can't face more Tory governments.

Tony12 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:22:12

Love to move to the countryside for more fresh air. Not much of that in London!

TABERNER Wed 24-Jun-20 09:44:22

Covid - 19 has made me appreciate more where I live and I am not considering moving. The main town is easily accessible and we are quite lucky to have a peaceful outdoor space in the back garden. One thing I would not consider now after confinment is a flat or a place far from local conveniences

Nendels Wed 24-Jun-20 09:45:22

I would move home to downsize - this house is too big now.
Also to get away from one neighbours. He is very selfish and causes me health problems and stress.
But I love where I live and do not want to leave - views of fields and sea from the windows.

ujhunt1961 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:47:34

Due to illness I lost my home and now I rent and would love to win enough money to buy my own home

mbody Wed 24-Jun-20 09:47:44

I wold like a house with some separate space for us both.

Ranworth1 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:47:56

I am about to move from a fabulous family home with views to the river and Dartmoor, within walking distance to the beach - been here 32 years. However the large garden which slopes, is becoming a millstone - very expensive and difficult to get a good gardener. So moving to a large bungalow (2 miles away) with a level garden. My grandson cried when he heard I was moving - we all love the house, but it is not practical at my age!

Lclaytonuk555 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:48:44

I think we will have to move in the next year or so. I have a health condition that means my husband has to do all the housework, cooking and look after the garden. While he loves gardening it is too big for one person to maintain as well as him doing everything else. We also don’t need a house this size any more. I will be very sorry when we do have to move.

AlysonH Wed 24-Jun-20 09:58:50

We've moved regularly throughout our married life - approximately every five. years for work. Now been in our retirement home for four years and I'm ready to move again. I love a new place, exploring, and sorting out. I find it fun!

Tobyrider Wed 24-Jun-20 10:00:30

I would love to move to a bungalow with land in the countryside,but first I need to win the lottery.

Leah50 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:09:49

I'd move home to something smaller & nearer to town, as I'm finding our old house & large garden more difficult to manage as I age. My husband's elderly & frail, he hates change & feels comfortable in his downstairs bedroom overlooking the garden, luckily our bathroom's on the ground floor too. BUT, we have lovely, friendly, quiet neighbours in our little terrace & know I might not be so lucky in a new home.

Sjonlegs Wed 24-Jun-20 10:15:29

These properties look fabulous and in an ideal world I'd love to retire to one of these, but it would need wheelchair access and accessibility adjustments. I'd be interested to learn more and have already visited the website. I suspect the ideal is all about location and local amenities too.

burwellmum Wed 24-Jun-20 10:16:21

We live in a house which is impossible to keep warm enough in winter so eventually we will have to move as we become more infirm and immobile. However that is unlikely until the youngest leaves university and as he's still at school that is a long way off. The lockdown has reinforced the advantages of the house (lots of rooms, large garden, good internet speed for a rural location) and energetic village we live in.

Ann29 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:23:28

We moved house to be closer to family after living in that house for 30 +years. If I had enough money, I would buy a bungalow on the edge of a town.

Lollin Wed 24-Jun-20 10:31:51

The only thing at present that would make me think about moving is if there was a bungalow available in a few years time that offered everything our current home has.

Hubbers Wed 24-Jun-20 10:32:33

My most recent move - 16 years ago - I consider to be my last. Unless something completely unforseen happens, like winning the lottery and my deciding to upscale to something totally fabulous that's beyond my current budget. Time will tell how Corona virus has affected the UK housing market but I suspect it will be pretty sluggish. So many people have lost their jobs or are anxious about their jobs, I think moving home will be low on their list of priorities. Unless, of course, they're forced to sell up and join the already very competitive rental sector. Whichever way you look at it, I fear the outlook isn't good.