Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Cheryl Bissett from McCarthy and Stone has answered your questions about retirement living and planning

(205 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Nov-20 10:09:13

Retirement communities provide support, safety and most importantly, friendship to those who live there. Cheryl Bissett is divisional Sales Director at McCarthy & Stone and also helped her 84 year-old mother Isobel move into a McCarthy & Stone development in 2017. After settling into Cranberry Court, Isobel’s social life has blossomed; spending time with her neighbours at coffee mornings, book clubs and film nights.

The community wasn’t halted by the pandemic and Cheryl gained peace of mind knowing that her mother had people around her for company and to reach out a helping hand if needed. With this in mind, Cheryl would like to use her experience to help answer your questions around retirement living and planning.

Here’s what McCarthy & Stone have to say: “With more than 40 years of experience in designing, creating and managing thriving communities, a McCarthy & Stone apartment gives you much more than a lovely home. It gives you access to a vibrant, caring and supportive community of friends and neighbours.

Here’s more about Cheryl Bissett: “Cheryl is Senior Divisional Sales & Marketing Director and has worked for McCarthy & Stone for over 5 years.
Cheryl is extremely passionate about what McCarthy & Stone offer to our retirement community, so much so Cheryl’s mother downsized into a McCarthy & Stone apartment at Cranberry Court.
McCarthy & Stone have made a huge difference to Cheryl and her family as her mum was once isolated and lonely and now has a whole host of new friends and a fabulous social life.”

Perhaps you’ve considered buying or renting a property in a retirement living community and want to find out more about it? Or have a family member that wants to find out more about retirement living in general and how best to plan for it? Post your question on this thread and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

We’ll be selecting questions for Cheryl to answer during a one-hour session that’s taking place on 30/11

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Terms and conditions apply

marmar01 Mon 16-Nov-20 21:29:58

do you have control of the temperature in your own accommodation? or is it set that the whole building is always hot? Also what happens if there is a neighbor dispute?

michael888 Tue 17-Nov-20 19:58:10

Are retirement homes a good investment?

Breeze81 Fri 20-Nov-20 10:50:53

Is there a curfew or can you stay out late? I wouldn't want to feel like a teenager sneaking home.

juliedee Fri 20-Nov-20 12:50:00

what are the fees associated with these properties, they all seem really nice and in lovely areas, are quite high price too, so just wondering what else you have to pay for, thankyou

Mapleleaf Fri 20-Nov-20 13:09:13

I'm sure the basic idea of these homes is a good one, but I would fear being organised far too much, with a list of dos and don't's. I like my independence, being able to choose what to do and when to do it, plus I would like to know just what bills to expect, when to expect them and how much they would be - with no nasty hidden surprises.
I just wonder how much McCarthy and Stone would expect to take from any future sale and also how long you would have to stay there before you could sell on. (Would McCarthy and Stone want to vet who you sold too, as well?)

mikeil13 Fri 20-Nov-20 14:48:54

Can i have visitors stay overnight without having to explai who they are?

greig23 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:55:17

id be up for the idea when im older, isnt it costly though??

fishnships Fri 20-Nov-20 22:10:02

Can I have a visitor to stay in my apartment for a few weeks (or months) if I become ill and need looking after?

MrsThreadgoode Fri 20-Nov-20 22:20:10

I’ve heard that if the owner is unable to pay the monthly Management Fee the amounts are added to a final Bill which, when the home is eventually sold, will have to be paid, is this correct ?
Or would the home owner be asked to leave as soon as they are unable to pay?

Authoress Sat 21-Nov-20 10:01:15

What does the maintenance charge cover?

joysutty Sat 21-Nov-20 10:55:49

If purchased a one bedroom appartment/flat then is there a "guest room" within the various sites to accommodate for a relative who wants an overnight stay ?

Echame Sat 21-Nov-20 11:01:56

I would like to ask another question related to grandchildren. Are residents in retirement communities permitted to carry out child-minding duties for pre-school age grandchildren on the premises or is it forbidden/discouraged?
Thanks for your help which will influence my future decision.

MrsThreadgoode Sat 21-Nov-20 11:15:23

Can the property be purchased by a Retiree, but then rented out to another?

Yearoff Sat 21-Nov-20 12:13:10

Do all your apartments have a service charge? If you don’t qualify for attendance allowance this makes it quite expensive.

Kittyme1 Sat 21-Nov-20 15:53:04

Can the property be sold and if so does it have to be sold back to McCarthy & Stone?

Incafarmer Sat 21-Nov-20 16:17:49

Would I be able to keep my two cats and would they be able to go outside?

marymod Sat 21-Nov-20 16:32:46

I'm just a bit scared about our lack of control and that decisions could be made for us and what notice would be taken of our wishes. In reality, how much say do residents have?

cassandra264 Sat 21-Nov-20 16:56:33

If I rented a property in a retirement village and found myself living next to another older person who developed major behavioural problems (for whatever reason) and this impacted on my quality of life, I could give up my tenancy and move. If I had bought the property, and it did not sell easily (as is happening with some developments just now) I would be stuck....wouldn't I?

kathcake Sat 21-Nov-20 18:06:29

Do they have particular rules in the retirement villages? Like you can't be out after 9?

mclarkiee Sun 22-Nov-20 14:17:58

How do you cater for people with a faith?

queentwixy Sun 22-Nov-20 16:15:09

Will negative interest rates mean that leaving money in cash at the bank will lose value?

granofone Sun 22-Nov-20 19:44:01

What is the price range of these properties?

Inthepink06 Mon 23-Nov-20 08:36:53

I would want to know upfront, all the extra costa re maintenance etc. Do you provide this at the initial discussion?

gran1 Mon 23-Nov-20 14:21:57

Before buying a property is there an opportunity to meet
current residents and ask them about buying and living in a
retirement setting

pamelacook Wed 25-Nov-20 11:00:35

I would love to do this and be surrounded by likeminded people of a similar age BUT I would much prefer to have my own small garden included, just for privacy - but probably kept in order by someone else as we get older and less capable